http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:24 pm 

Were holding our 800 yard match next Sunday. We have been practicing for the last three Sundays with various rifle to see which are to be used. I'm an avid long range open sighted rifle shooter and have several rifles that always shoot very well at 800 yards.
I shoot my reloads 99% of the time as most of today's surplus ammo is just not up to par past 500 meters if even that far.
Today I tried my Mannlicher 8x56R Long Rifle using WWII Nazi surplus ammo. Weather was cool and sunny. The mirage was fish-tailing from south east to north west.
The rear sight matched the range well when set to 700 meters and the heavy bullet blew through the mirage out to 800 yards with no problems. Hits on the man torso siluette was easy to do. The bullet struck the AR500 steel target with tremendous energy. More than enough to trigger the accelerometer and fire the electronic flash. This is our conformation that the target was struck. ( it also stops miscalls and "I hit it,I know I Did" calls.)
The Straight Pull rifle did very well. 70% hits at 800 yards. The bad guys had better keep their heads down.
The larger splatter marks are the 8x56R rounds.
Attachment:
target1.jpg
target1.jpg [ 869.65 KiB | Viewed 2481 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:17 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

70 year old ammo and 65 year old eyes are obviously still working well! Nice shooting. Do you have the original barleycorn front sight and notched blade rear?

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:49 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Very impressive - thanks for sharing. I'll wish you and your group good luck at the upcoming match but with the skills you guys have, you probably won't need it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:00 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

i'm really impressed

thats good going in my books

Ive shot my m95 long rifle at 500yds with surplus ammo with reasonable success but to do that at 800m.

Your a better man than I :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:22 pm 

In the club I run,New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters, the firearms have to be in original condition. No modifications what so ever are allowed.
Scoped rifles are allowed if fitted with original optics or clones there of.
90% of the shooters are "over the hill" and shoot open sights as it is so much more fun. I have cataracts and have learned how to shoot through them.
The air and light here is very clear and bright most days,the targets look much closer than they really are. On a clear day you can see at least 100 miles. Sights are easy to see. What we do do is to hold off of the target rather than "chase the shot" by moving the front sight on rifle with no windage adjustment. The only time we ever move the front sight is if the rifle is new to the shooter or a new batch of ammo.
We had the city build us the new 800 yard berm as my club members got so good at shooting at 500 yards we had to move out further just to keep them interested in shooting at matches.
We have not found a surplus rifle that does not shoot well at 800 yards.
I will be using my Swede long rifle for the match. My hand loads. I can still hold my own these days against the younger shooters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Heck dude, I doubt I could SEE the target at 800 yards anymore.

Well done sir!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:25 pm 

https://youtu.be/hXMnLKkJmIg
The target is on the left. The flash is 50 yards to the right to protect it from a "stray" bullet. The camera was zoomed out to 1,000 mm so you can see the 800 yard target. The camera's shutter has trouble "seeing" the flash which is very powerful ( 1,000,000 Watt second) and with the naked eye can be clearly seen in broad daylight.
Please do not have young kids watch the vid as the language gets a little blue at times.
I'm shooting and two members are spotting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:47 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Have you tried this with a M95 Steyr Carbine?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:50 am 

Yes,but there is no vid. The carbine is almost as accurate as the long rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

That is great to hear. Someday I will make the pilgrimage to the NRA's range in New Mexico to try some of that out myself.

I saw your vid on the Siamese Mauser. What bullet did you use for that?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:10 pm 

I will ask him this Sunday.
If your going to be in NM,stop by my range. It is no where as windy as the Whittington center is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Amazing shooter, old rifle and old ammo!

How about M95 carbine/short rifle on that distance?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:27 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Rapidrob wrote:
I will ask him this Sunday.
If your going to be in NM,stop by my range. It is no where as windy as the Whittington center is.

It may be darn windy for the match Sunday...I will have to make it up there and try my best to curveball some lead onto that 800yd steel!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:50 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

That flash setup is great. :thumb:

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:48 am 

It took many attempts to find a flash trigger that would work 100% of the time. The problem is the bullets impact on the AR500 steel target is so violent that the kinetic energy transferred though the steel plate is very destructive.( think of WWI machine gunners having to wear chain mail face guards to protect their eyes from spalling)
The trigger is embedded in a 4x6" block of 1" thick oak covered on one side by a high density foam. This solved the problem of the sensor shattering itself from a bullet strike.
The force is so great that the welds holding the sensor mounting brackets to the back of the target fail about about 150 strikes and have to be ground off and re-welded!
I run a modified electronic camera flash using a UPS battery pack to allow the flash to run all day. The flash can recharge almost instantly if set to medium power for a rapid-fire string of shots.
For slow fire it is set to manual and fires at full power which takes 5 seconds to recharge.
The trigger is very sensitive and will fire the flash from a .22LR bullet hitting the target at 200 yards. The trigger is self powered.
The control cable goes through the impact berm in plastic pipe directly behind the target to prevent it from being shot in two. The shrapnel is so powerful it too will cut a cable in half at 25 yards away. I had to put the cable in EMT to protect it.