http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:02 pm 

Guys: I got this rare rat from the AGCA Show in Birmingham AL today. It is one of the few remaining not messed with examples of this rare rifle that I know of.

It has the "Red Hand Of O'Neill" cartouche on the stock....(Long Irish Legend that I will not expound upon!)

Low serial number, all matched, includes the correct cleaning rod--(Always missing!) Cal. 8x57 J German, uses the Gew 88 en block clip....I do not know the bore diameter and whether it is safe with modern 8 mm or not, but I am guessing this is to be fired with the older obsolete ammo anyhow.

Supposedly 14,000 were delivered to the Ulster Volunteer Force in 1911. Most were confiscated by the British Authorities, but those that were delivered to the UVF, got stamped with the mark.

These were made from parts left over from the 1893 Romanian contract rifles. The Romanian Bayonet fits this gun, and in fact, all were delivered with non-matching Romanian bayonets. Some of the bayonets were stamped with the Ulster Cartouche, but not a lot of them. The individual Volunteer had to bring in his rifle and bayonet to get it stamped by the retired British Officers who ran this organization, so there are a lot of them not stamped like this.

A very rare rifle, and not often seen these days..

Dale

Attachments:
File comment: The whole thing...
1uvf-1.JPG
1uvf-1.JPG [ 58.93 KiB | Viewed 7586 times ]
File comment: The notorious UVF Stamping, with the bloody hand motif.
1uvf-2.JPG
1uvf-2.JPG [ 89.98 KiB | Viewed 7586 times ]
File comment: The sight and handguard are unique to this weapon, being modified from the Romanian pattern.
1uvf-3.JPG
1uvf-3.JPG [ 86.6 KiB | Viewed 7586 times ]
File comment: Note the same upper band as the Romanian M. 93.
1uvf-4.JPG
1uvf-4.JPG [ 105.66 KiB | Viewed 7586 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:25 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Nice Rifle! Amazing history! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:41 pm 

Thanks: The only other one of these I have ever examined was in the collection of the late Bruce R. Stern in Trumbull CT...

Here is the "hot poop" on the legend of the "Bloody Hand of O'Neill". http://oneill.nd.edu/history/the-red-hand-of-oneill/

Dale

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Are these just Gew.88s without the barrel jacket and some other upgrades basically? Very cool find, it pays to know all this stuff!

"Enfield. Anything else is just a rifle."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

That there wont do you any good in the wood, cut that forend and barrel down to make it more handy. too bad about the mosin reciever, need a scout mount... :tounge:

TheFastMan wrote:
Are these just Gew.88s without the barrel jacket and some other upgrades basically? Very cool find, it pays to know all this stuff!

more like Mannlicher M93's in 8x57 that take gew 88 clips

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:16 am 

Guys: Made from left over Romanian M 93 parts with new barrel and sights for the 8 X 57 J. The Mannlicher action is based on the GEW 88 anyhow, so it is obvious where they got this design...

Dale

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:13 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Hello from Providence, R.I. hometown of George Peabody Macready. I was greatly interested in your Irish Mannlicher Model 1904 rifle. Well done! If you ever wish to part with it down the road sometime, I would very much be interested. Best regards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Very nice gun! You don't happen to have a matching Romanian?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 pm 

Guys: This is the first one in about 35 years, I have never seen a Romanian in any decent condition, all were rat grade, and the Portuguese Mod. I have never seen. All of these odd Mannlichers are impossible to find now, even in the 70's, these guns were more or less just rumored to exist. When Bruce Stern showed me his Ulster Mannlicher in the 70's, it was the first and until now, the only one I had ever seen...

Dale

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

vonmazur wrote:
Guys: This is the first one in about 35 years, I have never seen a Romanian in any decent condition, all were rat grade, and the Portuguese Mod. I have never seen. All of these odd Mannlichers are impossible to find now, even in the 70's, these guns were more or less just rumored to exist. When Bruce Stern showed me his Ulster Mannlicher in the 70's, it was the first and until now, the only one I had ever seen...

Dale
Man, too bad. I found a place selling the Portuguese rifles (incorrectly labeled Romanian, which a fellow collector informed me of). The same collector has an extensive Balkans collection (think Turk 1890)... but has never seen a Romanian 1893.

I saw one for sale on gunboards a few months ago, priced at $400 with no pictures, it went fast. I doubt the seller knew the real value.

Anyhow, the Romanians were handily defeated in 1916, losing 80% of all rifles (according to The Romanian Battlefront in WWI by Torrey pg 183) which would explain the low number of them. Manowar's Hungarian weapons says Steyr delivered only 120,000 rifles and 14,000 carbines (much less than 270,000 I'd guessed based on the book's discussion of troop strength). Anyhoo, more may've been lost in 1917's offensives and later fighting, and a few in the demobilization treaty (where they tried to mainly dump any old/odd arms though).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:26 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

That's a great looking rifle Dale! Nice find! The magazine box design looks a little closer to the Gew 88 and M95 than the Romanian M1893 which had some reinforcing ribs I beleive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:56 pm 

Stan and Guys: The mag is very much like the Nederlanse M 95, but does not have the fat rib on the bottom like the Romanian M 93. I think the bolt is virtually a copy of the GEW 88. I have not even cleaned this one yet, but there is a lot a dried grease in the bolt ways and the bolt itself. This model is so rare that I have been reluctant to take it down for cleaning, I will just remove the bolt and clean it up and let it go at that...

Dale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:39 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I've had two portuguese mannlichers. One was a carbine and the other was a rifle. Sold them for $350 a pop on another forum over a year ago. I couldnt hardly find 6.5 dutch ammo so I let them go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:36 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

I know this is an old thread...but was wondering if you have shot your Irish Mannlicher, Dale.

I glommed one years ago and have never fired it...serial number 489

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=55743

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:15 am 

CalFed: I sold it for big $$$$....It was only to make some money and actually have one, that I bought it. ;-)

Dale