Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Hello from Southeast Idaho

New Members, introduce yourself and make yourself feel welcome.
Greyhawk
United States of America

Hello from Southeast Idaho

#1 Post by Greyhawk » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:46 pm

Hello all! I stumbled across this forum today and decided to join. It looks to be a good source of information about these old rifles.

3 of the 5 rifles below were passed down through the family. I'm the 3rd, possibly the 4th generation to acquire these rifles. The Argentine and the Steyr are additions I made to the collection. I'm a glutton for punishment and seem to have a thing for vintage military rifles :D . I reload ammo for these, as well.

1903 Springfield Armory Model 1898 - .30-40 Krag. I don't know the history of this rifle, I just know it's been in the family a long time. It has a sporterized stock but the barrel is still full-length. It's numbers-matching and still has the original sling. I took it shooting once after fitting a scope to it with an S&K no-drill mount. The bolt is still in good shape and doesn't have any cracks yet.

1928 Winchester Model 12 - 12-gauge shotgun. Full choke barrel - I might swap it out later for an open or modified choke barrel, but I haven't fully decided yet. This is my bedside gun :twisted: .

1946 Winchester Model 70 - 7x57mm Mauser. This was my dad's favorite hunting rifle and it was given to him by his uncle. I haven't taken it shooting yet, but I will, someday. I think this might be a short-rifle variant of some kind (not a carbine) as the length doesn't match what I've read it should be - it's shorter. My dad knew this also, but he never knew why.

1891 Argentine Mauser - 7.65x53mm. Date of actual manufacture unknown. Numbers matching. This is one of the many sporterized rifles that flooded the market a while back and it is in great shape for its age - it still had some packing grease in the bolt assembly when I got it. My eyes aren't good enough to use the sights on this rifle so, I might look into fitting a scope on it at some point.

Steyr Mannlicher M95 - 8x50mmR. Date of actual manufacture unknown. I bought this recently at a gun show and got it for a song - mostly because it was incomplete, and the parts that were complete were cobbled into a random carbine bolt-action stock. It's an unconverted Hungarian long-rifle and am currently in the process of reconstructing it. I found a complete stock, with hardware, on Ebay and am waiting for it get here. I've also ordered another bolt assembly and an S&K scout-type scope mount for it (the rear ladder sight had been replaced with an Enfield peep ladder sight, at some point.) This is a reconstruction project, for shooting purposes, not a "restoration" - all the metal parts will be re-blued and the stock will be repaired and re-oiled. I've found what I need to reload ammo for this beast using the 250gr. round-nose bullets from Woodleigh, but it's probably going to be my most expensive reloading project yet.

So, there it is, my long-winded introduction. It's nice to find people with similar interests and I'm hoping to learn a lot here. Thanks for putting this forum out there.

-Terry

LEP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Hello from Southeast Idaho

#2 Post by LEP » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 am

Welcome. I have an unconverted M95 Budapest, myself. It's missing the sight slider, however. On a side note, my little brother lives on the Salmon river.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#3 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:31 am

Welcome to the board. Have fun.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

shoot4fun
United States of America

#4 Post by shoot4fun » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:58 am

Welcome to the forum. Love those family heirloom guns!

echo1
United States of America

#5 Post by echo1 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:17 pm

Welcome from Kali. I work seasonally in Pingree May through September. My son lives in CDL. PAX

1911Ron
Netherlands

#6 Post by 1911Ron » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 pm

Welcome from Arizona!

OldRog
United States of America

#7 Post by OldRog » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Welcome from Wisconsin

Return to “Meet and Greet”