Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Icebreaker

New Members, introduce yourself and make yourself feel welcome.
CAVSGT78
United States of America

Icebreaker

#1 Post by CAVSGT78 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:34 am

Hello all. My name is Jeremy. I own several milsurps including a couple Mosins, an SKS, and a German P38. I’m selling the P38 though to fund another project. I don’t really shoot my 1934 91/30 hex and I don’t want to put too much more wear on it. There’s nothing wrong with it, but I just want to keep it in good shape. I keep it clean and oiled. I shoot the heck out of my m44. After having some physical issues following the army I did some ergo mods to make it easier to shoot for me. My Yugo SKS is an excellent shooter too. After years of keeping it in its original military configuration I put it into an SG Works stock. It cut down a lot on the weight and balanced it. Again, the decision was made because of physical limitations. I know a lot of people knock those stock sets, but it’s the best firearm accessory I’ve ever bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamer
United States of America

Re: Icebreaker

#2 Post by steamer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:47 am

Welcome to SRF - glad you joined us. Lots of knowledgeable folks here.

CAVSGT78
United States of America

#3 Post by CAVSGT78 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 am

steamer wrote:Welcome to SRF - glad you joined us. Lots of knowledgeable folks here.
I learned a LOT from the old site surplusrifle.com back in the day when Jamie and Donna Mangrum were running it. I don’t know if this forum stemmed from that site, but I see a lot of the knowledge is the same. I look forward to gleaning knowledge from the forum.

lloydiam
United States of America

#4 Post by lloydiam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Welcome Aboard !..................

Polock
United States of America

#5 Post by Polock » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Glad to have u here---don't worry about what "others" may say about your stock mods. Not only is this a very friendly forum, the unspoken motto has always been: "Your gun--your decision".

Yes, Jamie et al did a great job! I really enjoyed their articles on "how to" fix/mod and play with our milsurps--
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

CAVSGT78
United States of America

#6 Post by CAVSGT78 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:29 am

Polock wrote:Glad to have u here---don't worry about what "others" may say about your stock mods. Not only is this a very friendly forum, the unspoken motto has always been: "Your gun--your decision".

Yes, Jamie et al did a great job! I really enjoyed their articles on "how to" fix/mod and play with our milsurps--
Thanks Image

CAVSGT78
United States of America

#7 Post by CAVSGT78 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:30 am

lloydiam wrote:Welcome Aboard !..................
ThanksImage

steamer
United States of America

#8 Post by steamer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:36 am

CAVSGT78 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 am
I learned a LOT from the old site surplusrifle.com back in the day when Jamie and Donna Mangrum were running it. I don’t know if this forum stemmed from that site, but I see a lot of the knowledge is the same.
Most certainly it did - the first incarnation of this site did originate from surplusrifle.com - those were the good 'ol days.
Yes, many of us still here today owe our interest in milsurps to that original site.

CAVSGT78
United States of America

#9 Post by CAVSGT78 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:14 am

steamer wrote:
CAVSGT78 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 am
I learned a LOT from the old site surplusrifle.com back in the day when Jamie and Donna Mangrum were running it. I don’t know if this forum stemmed from that site, but I see a lot of the knowledge is the same.
Most certainly it did - the first incarnation of this site did originate from surplusrifle.com - those were the good 'ol days.
Yes, many of us still here today owe our interest in milsurps to that original site.

Burner
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#10 Post by Burner » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Yes this is the same forum.
Just some softwear and server changes over the years since 2003.
Infact I was member #151 on the very first forum.
One of our oldest rules is, It is your rifle , You paid for it, You can do what ever you want with it. If someone else dosent like it, Tough!
After all it is one of millions upon millions, made as expendable battlefield tools. Not rare works of art.

Now that dosent mean you might get a "little" grief if you just trashed some super rare version or model.
But other then that, every firearm that gets modified, just increased the value of the untouched model in a collector vault.
Aint nothing you cant fix with five gallons of diesel and a match.

CAVSGT78
United States of America

#11 Post by CAVSGT78 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Burner wrote:Yes this is the same forum.
Just some softwear and server changes over the years since 2003.
Infact I was member #151 on the very first forum.
One of our oldest rules is, It is your rifle , You paid for it, You can do what ever you want with it. If someone else dosent like it, Tough!
After all it is one of millions upon millions, made as expendable battlefield tools. Not rare works of art.

Now that dosent mean you might get a "little" grief if you just trashed some super rare version or model.
But other then that, every firearm that gets modified, just increased the value of the untouched model in a collector vault.
That’s all good to know ImageImage the only rifle I made modifications to that I can’t undo is to my M44. The stock was pretty chewed up so I sanded it down and painted it with a textured paint. Then I added a pistol grip because I needed some ergonomic changes after getting messed up.

The other is my sks, but nothing permanent was done to it. First I put one of those Tapco T6 stocks on it after getting one off a guy who couldn’t get it to fit his. Mine dropped right into it. At the time I was glad he didn’t know how to use a dremel. After that I put it into an SG Works bullpup stock. It took a couple pounds off and balanced it better making it easier for me to shoot. I still have the original stock and parts if I had to put it back to original military config.

Burner
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#12 Post by Burner » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:27 am

That bullpup is cool!
Aint nothing you cant fix with five gallons of diesel and a match.

CAVSGT78
United States of America

#13 Post by CAVSGT78 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 am

Burner wrote:That bullpup is cool!
Thanks ImageImage

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#14 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 am

Welcome to SRF. Lots of good info here and no Trolls.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Kevinofborg
United States of America

#15 Post by Kevinofborg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:43 am

Welcome.
I will add that if you change out a stock you may want to keep the original may help retain or increase the resale value as your market would be to shooters and collectors.

My $.02

Kevin
kevinofborg
TX

Return to “Meet and Greet”