Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Hello from the Hill Country of Texas

New Members, introduce yourself and make yourself feel welcome.
Stormrider51
United States of America

Hello from the Hill Country of Texas

#1 Post by Stormrider51 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 pm

I live near Canyon Lake and am a 66 year old shooter. I currently have a couple of muzzleloaders plus a Swedish M96 and just received a M1 Garand from the CMP. Spent most of my adult life working as a paramedic. Now retired.
Regards,
John

OldGrouchyGuy
United States of America

Re: Hello from the Hill Country of Texas

#2 Post by OldGrouchyGuy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:01 am

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Texican. Congrats on the garand. What manufacturer if I may ask? I ordered a service grade Springfield from them a couple years ago and have been thinking of getting some other manufacturers since the CMP has gotten some more in.

I like the Swedes too and have a couple 96's and a M38. Did you ever try try reloading that wooden bullet ammo for them?

Nice to meet ya, and please enjoy your time here at the forum.
NRA Lifetime member, CHL, C&R - Known to be extremely Grouchy and may be armed. Do not attempt to apprehend and instead notify local authorities.

spentprimer
United States of America

#3 Post by spentprimer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:28 am

Hello and Welcome to the forum Stormrider. I heard there were storms in Texas last night with large hail and tornadoes.
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok - Matthew Quigley

Stormrider51
United States of America

#4 Post by Stormrider51 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:12 am

OldGrouchyGuy wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:01 am
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Texican. Congrats on the garand. What manufacturer if I may ask? I ordered a service grade Springfield from them a couple years ago and have been thinking of getting some other manufacturers since the CMP has gotten some more in.

I like the Swedes too and have a couple 96's and a M38. Did you ever try try reloading that wooden bullet ammo for them?

Nice to meet ya, and please enjoy your time here at the forum.

I ordered the "Service Grade" as well. The CMP website says those are currently either Springfield Armory or Harrington & Richardson and it's the luck of the draw as to which you receive. Mine is a H&R with a SA54 barrel. Overall the rifle looks very good. The bore is shiney with strong rifling. She should be a shooter. The only problem is that it came in a new CMP stock. That's fine but when I went to field strip it I had a really hard time getting the trigger guard to release and now it refuses to lock back into position. Obviously I have some inletting to do. What baffles me is how the armorer at CMP got it to latch in the first place.

I've long considered the Swedish Mauser and its 6.5X55 round to be one of the most underappreciated combinations around. I've never tried making up any of the wooden practice ammo and don't own the shredder attachment. I do have the thread protector cap. I serves to not only protect the threads but also improves the appearance of the rifle and makes the bayonet fit better.

Regards,
John

Stormrider51
United States of America

#5 Post by Stormrider51 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:21 pm

spentprimer wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:28 am
Hello and Welcome to the forum Stormrider. I heard there were storms in Texas last night with large hail and tornadoes.
I'm happy to say that all the bad weather stayed north of us. We just have a chilly wind. Temp yesterday was mid-80s. Today low-50s. Tomorrow forecast to be low-70s and by Wednesday back into the 80s.
Regards,
John

Return to “Meet and Greet”