Wisconsin native checking in

New Members, introduce yourself and make yourself feel welcome.
Polaris428

Wisconsin native checking in

Post by Polaris428 »

Hey everyone,

I've come to join the fun of collecting (or trying to rather) milsurp firearms - and learning all about them.

The forums has a large amount of information I've already gone through, so thank you all for the help already.

My name is Beau. And I'll leave it at that, for now.

Looking forward to getting out into some shows and learning more

vandle
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger

Re: Wisconsin native checking in

Post by vandle »

Welcome aboard
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert Einstein

NorthMan

Post by NorthMan »

Glad you joined us. My interest was initially in the various Enfield models. Which specific milsurps are you most interested in?

Polaris428

Post by Polaris428 »

I started with the enfield as well. However, I can't seem to find them so I've put them on the back burner for now. I think the Swiss rifles, K31 in particular, is a spectacular firearm for the money. Also milling around in the mosin family. Kind of open minded and researching as i find items I like or seem to be the right price.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Do not forget the French stuff Berthiers and Mas 36s are fine rifles. If deep pockets than 49/56s are fun.

Then everyone needs a K98 and an ancient Turk Mauser

The K31 is a tack driver. I loved those rifles and got a few walnut versions when Dunhams had there $99 black friday sales many moons ago.
This link shows my muzzle gauge on a hex Mosin to gauge barrel (note tape at top ring) : If a barrel takes the tape its about half life, to the handle is bad news. Always best to find a nice hex Mosin if possible. A muzzle gauge is a handy indicator because it is a machined gauge that is the same size in every bore. In contarast different ammo tips from different ammunition all 7.62x54R can sometimes in the same rifle fall at different positions giving a false reading. Not all bullets are the same contour. Always use a scientific standard gauge for uniform comparisons. Some round receiver Mosins have so much wear/use that the gauge goes up to the black line my gauge.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2013
1915 westinghouse
IMG_5324.JPG
IMG_5324.JPG (63.93 KiB) Viewed 133 times
1927 Tula hex
IMG_2925 (1).jpg
1939 Tula decommissioned ex sniper round receiver
IMG_2927.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

NorthMan

Post by NorthMan »

Polaris428 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:00 pm
... I think the Swiss rifles, K31 in particular, is a spectacular firearm for the money. Also milling around in the mosin family. Kind of open minded and researching as i find items I like or seem to be the right price.
I think that sounds like a good plan. In todays milsurp market, you have to jump on whatever is available (if it fits your interests and budget of course). Fortunately the online retailers still get small batches of milsurps on occasion.

Polaris428

Post by Polaris428 »

NorthMan wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:30 am
Polaris428 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:00 pm
... I think the Swiss rifles, K31 in particular, is a spectacular firearm for the money. Also milling around in the mosin family. Kind of open minded and researching as i find items I like or seem to be the right price.
I think that sounds like a good plan. In todays milsurp market, you have to jump on whatever is available (if it fits your interests and budget of course). Fortunately the online retailers still get small batches of milsurps on occasion.
Seems that online pricing is noticeably higher than local shows and sales, which has pushed me away from buying online. The web is still a great starting point for price reference regarding the more common surplus items. I missed out on a, what I thought, nice K31 at, of all places, Cabelas. The joy of passing it up is the fact that I will find another nice, maybe nicer K31 for a similar price with good timing and patience.

Return to “Meet and Greet”