Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

New here from Canada

New Members, introduce yourself and make yourself feel welcome.
Str8pull
Canada

New here from Canada

#1 Post by Str8pull » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:39 pm

Hi All. I got bit by the milsurp bug about 10-12 yrs. ago while doing some work for a customer, I started talking about hunting and he mentioned that he used to collect guns but had sold most of them off when the liberals were pulling the gun registration B.S. on us. But he still had 3 left and had not upgraded his F.A.C. to the new P.A.L. permit and asked me if I would be interested in them. They were old military rifles and one was missing its magazine, at the time I was only interested in hunting rifles and new very little about military rifles so I offered to take $50 off his bill in exchange for them and he agreed. When I got them home I had no Idea of what they were or what ammo they took, so the research began. That's how I discovered this forum and the wealth of information it contained. I ended up having so much fun learning about those rifles and their history that I developed an incurable addiction to collecting as many milsurps as I could afford over the years going to gun shows, gun auctions, classified ads. etc. I don't know if I should thank that guy or be pissed off with him lol. Anyway I have been lurking this site since then and been wanting to join, and since it appears the world may be coming to an end I figured theres no time like the present.

Str8pull
Canada

Re: New here from Canada

#2 Post by Str8pull » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:59 pm

By the way the three rifles I got from that guy that started my addiction turned out to be a Japanese type 38 arisaka, a DWM boer mauser that according to the serial # and research I did was in the last shipment of 1000 rifles to ship to the ZAR before the blockade. And the one missing the magazine was a K11 and the first straight pull bolt action I had ever seen and I fell in love with all straight pull type rifles. Finding a magazine for it was no easy task but Swiss Rifles put me in touch with a former member of this forum, the late Frank "Guisan". And Frank sent me one from the Netherlands.

Mashuga
United States of America

#3 Post by Mashuga » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Welcome. As you know it's a great site for information on milsurps. My story on getting bit by the bug sort of mirrors your own. About 20 years ago an older friend had died. He was some what of an artist and I wanted something he had done to remember him by. His wife asked another guy to sell some of the guns he had. One was a an old military rifle that he had painted a wildlife scene on the butt part of the stock. I had no idea what the rifle was but liked the scene so bought it for $50. I did some research and found it was a 30-40 Krag, 1898. The bore isn't great but it was not cut down and had all original parts. The researching got me interested in other military firearms and ....well you know how it goes.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 am

Welcome to SRF. The old firearms are interesting,fun to shoot and are a handful of history.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

OldRog
United States of America

#5 Post by OldRog » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:25 pm

welcome from Wisconsin

Return to “Meet and Greet”