question about a notification?? (Screen pics added)

New Members, introduce yourself and make yourself feel welcome.
nothernug

question about a notification?? (Screen pics added)

Post by nothernug »

I got a flashing notification atop my page. When I opened it, I could not make any sense of it. I have no idea what it's referring to or about. Anybody help me out here???
It's heading was this:
Group update: You have been added to the group For Sale.
Then there was a column of names starting with the site owner. Is this a legitimate site notice of some sort or some kind of phishing thing? :think:

UPDATE:
below are screen shots of the notification and "message"? I have made additional comments in my next post/reply further down...
The notice
The notice
Notif-1.jpg (147.73 KiB) Viewed 3042 times

the message?? (top of page)
the message?? (top of page)
notif-2a.jpg (180.96 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
the message?? (scrolled to bottom of page)
the message?? (scrolled to bottom of page)
Notif-2b.jpg (134.72 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Last edited by nothernug on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: question about a notification??

Post by 72 usmc »

I see no such thing on my Mac. Yesterday or today. Generally a notification states Quoted by... or Private message by... and you should see who sent the notification. All members list is nuts and most likely fake. More than likely you wood see a notice at the top of the forum if it was meant for all members?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Mashuga

Re: question about a notification??

Post by Mashuga »

Hmmmm, I wonder if it was notifying you that you now have access to the "For Sale/Want To Buy" part of the forum. You need a certain number of posts before you are granted access. I think it's 25 posts. I never received a notification that I had access (that I remember), they just appeared. That's my guess and that's all it is-a guess.

nothernug

Re: question about a notification?? (screen pics added)

Post by nothernug »

Mashuga wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:55 pm
Hmmmm, I wonder if it was notifying you that you now have access to the "For Sale/Want To Buy" part of the forum. You need a certain number of posts before you are granted access. I think it's 25 posts. I never received a notification that I had access (that I remember), they just appeared. That's my guess and that's all it is-a guess.
I thought maybe you may be right but, looking again, I'd have to say it looks more like a member listing. But, then, what is "for sale; This is a closed group, new members can only join upon invitation of a group leader."?!?
Anyway, just to be sure, I'll do what I should have done at first, that is, to offer some screen shots so you all can see just what it is I'm seeing...A picture's worth - and all that so, here goes...
First page listing the message.
First page listing the message.
Notif-1.jpg (147.73 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
the upper part of page 1 of the 'message' (?)
the upper part of page 1 of the 'message' (?)
notif-2a.jpg (180.96 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
the scrolled down to the bottom part of page 1 of the 'message' (?)
the scrolled down to the bottom part of page 1 of the 'message' (?)
Notif-2b.jpg (134.72 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: question about a notification?? (Screen pics added)

Post by 72 usmc »

Mashuga had it correct. :clap:

You have approximately 30 posts and before you never saw the Classifieds when you logged on. You just got the full benefits. Now when you log on, you see the classifieds section at the bottom and can list For Sale/Want to Sell or Trade or WTB. Log on, and you see this:
Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 5.41.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 5.41.34 AM.png (77.24 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
The member list is those that can post in this section> I never got this message way back when, but maybe something new. You should see your tag/name on this list. If you do not log on you can see the forum, but can not reply to a post, or post a new topic, or see the Classified section. You see this CLASSIFIED BOX SHOWN ABOVE only when actively logged in.

Here are the type of notifications you can get, or if you want to modify settings for your email:
Here you can set your preferred notification methods for the board. Click on "NOTIFICATIONS" , then "SETTINGS" to see edits for notifications.
Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 6.33.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 6.33.02 AM.png (51.8 KiB) Viewed 3013 times

NOTIFICATION TYPE NOTIFICATIONS EMAIL
Posting Notifications
Your topics/posts are approved or disapproved by a moderator
Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
Someone quotes you in a post
Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
Miscellaneous Notifications
Someone sends you a private message

Checkout the QUICK LINKS if you need special items:
Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 6.15.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 6.15.12 AM.png (13.64 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

Old post in one of the stickies: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... 615#p20615

Here is general info & forum history, Wayback links, how to post a photo, and other info in this sticky:
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =79&t=2203

It is always best to read the RULES if a new member especially about the "for sale" section # 2:
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/app.php/rules
Classifieds Rules

Use of the Classifieds section automatically implies your agreement with all the rules contained therein.

**************************GENERAL DISCLAIMER**************************

This site, those that work at this site, Site Sponsors, the Site Server, the Site Administrators, the Site Moderators, and anyone associated with the running of Surplus Rifle Forum (SRF) are not responsible for any listings made in any of this site's Trader-Classified Ads-Sponsor Boards.

We do not stand behind any sellers nor buyers, so buy, sell, or trade at your own risk.

Although we are not responsible for the accuracy of any listings made on these boards, any obvious discrepancies, difficulties, non-payment, non-delivery, etc., pointed out to us may be handled as required

NOTE: The only items allowed in any of the For Sale areas are Firearms and closely related items (i.e. accessories, ammunition, bayonets, shooting gear, reloading etc.) THAT YOU OWN. Buying and selling on behalf of another party is prohibited and may be illegal (Straw Purchases, for example).

1. The For Sale section is provided as a courtesy to forum members who have been allowed access under forum rules. Under special circumstances or for exceptions, contact a Moderator.

2. What is NOT allowed:
a. If you are a gun dealer, militaria dealer, pawn shop owner, or run a commercial business that is related to items that might be listed on this site, AND you are not a sponsor, you are not allowed to routinely post items for sale or trade on these boards. Contact Mod for details.
b. NO auctions, links to auctions, or links to online sales currently running on other forums or commercial sites.
c. Reloaded Ammunition is NOT allowed For Sale in the forum. Period.
d. NO duplicate user names.

3. WTS and WTT POST GUIDELINES:
a. WTS or WTT or WTS/WTT along with quick item description in the subject line.
b. Clear, concise, description of the item(s) in the post body. Make sure to include condition, numbers matching, import marks, etc., to expedite sales.
c. Lots of clear, hi-res, pictures. :)
d. FIXED price in USD or trade options. Again-no auctions. Also provide payment requirements-traceable preferred.
e. Legal requirements if applicable. FFL01, C&R, antique, FOID, etc.
f. DO NOT post blanket refusals to sell to specific areas. The only acceptable restriction wording in a For Sale ad is "not for sale where restricted by law" or something similar.
g. Sellers have the right to refuse sales to individuals based on knowledge or advice from any reputable source. They must apprise a moderator of their intention, and the reasons, before doing so. The declination must not be based on race, gender, religion, or political beliefs.
h. Any shipping exceptions or restrictions. From FFL or ORM-D, for example.
i. If the item(s) is/are cross-posted on other forums or sites (without providing links).

4. WTS/WTT COMMENTS:
a. Technical questions, requests for more pictures & answers relating to the transaction are allowed and desired, but ABSOLUTELY NO SHAMERS, WANKERS, HIJACKING, TROLLING, or irrelevant comments are permitted. Use PMs, however, for non-technical concerns, pricing, etc.
b. BUMPING or BACK TO TOP allowed once a week. Period. Any follow on post will also be considered a bump.
c. If discrepancies, errors of omission, or other areas of concern are noted by any member, contact the seller or a Mod by PM. NO SHAMING IN THE OP. We expect the Seller/Trader to make the corrections since they may not have been aware of the discrepancies.

5. MARK YOUR ITEMS AS SOLD, TRADED, OR NO LONGER FOR SALE
a. The buyer and seller or traders MUST GIVE THEIR WORD, publicly, in the thread. via use of "I'll Take It", "Sold to", etc. IF THAT DOES NOT OCCUR, THE MODERATORS WILL NOT BE OBLIGATED TO RESOLVE ANY CONFLICTS.
NOTE: "I'll take it" AND "Sold To" we consider to be a binding commitment to buy/sell. The only way out of a transaction is if both parties work out an agreement to undo the sale. In other words, moderator intervention is not needed. This protects all from false expectations, keeps everything above board and the playing field level. After the sale is agreed upon, private information should use alternate methods (PM's Emails).
b. If an item sells or is traded, mark the original subject line as "Sold", "Traded", or "SPF" (Sold Pending Funds).
c. If multiple items were for sale or trade, update their status within the original post (OP) body.
d. If an item does not sell and/or you have decided you no longer wish to have the item listed – you must update your ad stating the item is “Withdrawn”.
e. Do not delete your post. It may be used as a reference for other transactions.

6. Any difficulties betwe
Great question nothernug, This will help many other new members so I posted this in the sticky as a link. Thank You
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

nothernug

Post by nothernug »

Thanks to me? It's far more accurate to say "Thanks" to you! I do see one area in the classifieds that I could run afoul of. I make and sell some site related items, (I am NOT throwing a pitch here which is why I am being intentionally vague) That I put listings out on a auction site. Now, I hardly sell enough to be called a dealer, I doubt I sell more than a dozen articles a year if that many and since I usually have a couple or three at a time but sell the items singly, I sometimes like to list on site classifieds once and a while. But, I see that is clearly a no no here so, I won't do it.

Now, let me pose this question. Being such a small volume seller, would it be passable if I sometimes made listings here ("here" meaning classifieds) of items as long as the items are not listed elsewhere at the same time? This kind of waltzes along the line of spirit vs letter of the law methinks. I will abide by whatever is stated and if there is any question will there abide by the letter of the law (rules) so there can be no doubt.

I have attended these forums for many years, this one too back in the day, and indeed have been and am a moderator on another. I have a solid respect for these places and the rules that govern them. I have seen and bailed on some forums where the members generally ran amok and ran with no respect for anything or anybody and it was no good for anybody. I appreciate the atmosphere of respect and good humor a solid information available of well run forums to cause trouble on one for any reason.

Thanks for the information on my question, the operation of this place and the general welcome. :D

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Only one of the Mods can answer the question. PM one.

Return to “Meet and Greet”