http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hey everybody,
I'm brand new here, and I was hoping somebody might have some idea of what's going on with my Hakim rifle.

I took the gun shooting the day after I picked it up with some 198 grain Yugo surplus brass. I made sure the gas valve was on the first setting and took my first shot. the bolt carrier failed to come back far enough to eject the case, and the bolt slammed back down forcing the empty shell partially back into the chamber. I manually ejected the case, and the extractor flipped it out of the bolt just fine. I then turned the gas up two clicks, chambered the next round, and fired again. Once again the rifle failed to eject, so I increased the gas setting. I repeated this until I had reached the maximum setting, and the rifle remained single-shot.

I began troubleshooting by disassembling the gas system, inspecting the tube and gas block, and spraying their internals with with carbon cleaner. I made sure that the liquid carbon cleaner poured out the barrel when I squirted it into the gas block. I then used an air compressor to test the gas settings. I put the air nozzle in the opening were the gas tube threads in, and I was able to hear the corresponding differences in air flow while adjusting the gas knob. I then tried threading the gas tube deeper and shallower in the gas block, making sure the locking nut was tight each time. This had no effect on the rifle's operation.

My next though was that the recoil spring must be too stiff, but I was not willing to mess around with that. In the end I assumed that it must be the ammo. I have had problems with the Yugo stuff in my FN49, so I picked a couple varieties up online and waited for them to arrive.

My ammo just got here today: a box of S&B 196 grain FMJ brass, and some Hot Shot 170 grain FMJ steel case.

Neither ammo type cycles the action, Regardless of gas setting.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I am at a complete loss.
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:58 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I don't know what to tell you that you haven't already done. Hopefully someone will respond who has something to add. You've made sure the chamber was as clean as possible?

Good luck,
Mike

IOWA-Birth Place of John Wayne

There's more than one way to skin a cat, waiting till they are completely dead is the safest!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:06 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Yeah I cleaned the chamber pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:24 pm 

Do you have the gas port set to Grenade launching?
Do you see the bolt even attempt to cycle when you fire the rifle?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:17 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I doubt the springs are too strong. The Hakim has a very violent gas system when operating correctly, and would need a spring from a Jeep suspension to tame it to the point of short-cycling.
First off, how do your fired cases look? If it looks like the extractor was about to pull the rim off the case, you probably have a very dirty and/or pitted chamber. If not, you either have a very worn barrel which allows too much gas to escape past the bullet before it reaches the gas port, or there is an issue with the gas system.
Second, are you positive you have the gas wide open? Wide-open is when the pie-shaped valve is pointing straight back – at the 5:30 - 6:00 position (last click counter-clockwise) Remember, there are SEVEN gas adjustment notches (not including the gas cut-off notch). If you think you had the gas all the way open when you last fired it, and your barrel and chamber look fine, next, go ahead and remove the gas valve completely. You will have to use a small screwdriver or scribe to hold up the wings on the locking washer/spring to get it past the stops (gas block housing) as you unscrew it. There is rarely anything clogging the port, but give it a look-see anyway. Upon reinstallation, the valve will “usually” not reach the gas cut-off position (which is at 9:00) if it is screwed all the way in. The proper way to clock the valve is to screw it all the way in till it bottoms out (usually around the 8:00 position) then unscrew it one revolution. Again, you must hold the wings on the washer up to clear the stops (which is the gas block). One last thing to check is the gas cup on the front of the bolt carrier. I have seen them damaged or missing on rough examples. Also, the end of the gas tube has an outer tube that fits into the gas cup (pressed into the front of the receiver), check to see if it is damaged or missing.

TOM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:06 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

That is an interesting problem. Some time ago someone had a frozen gas plug and I took some photos of my Hakim with the different gas settings at a reference.
http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic. ... ilit=hakim
Can you take the rifle out of the stock and take some photos of it? Gas tube, gas block, everything as in working parts? Can you take photos of the bolt carrier, bolt, springs, and the dust cover? Can you show us some of the brass?
Have you taken the gas tube off and looked down it? Maybe there is some fowling plugging the tube. You can always see if there is any gas coming through the tube by putting a very small amount of masking tape over the tube where the gas exits and fire a shot to see if gas is escaping. The tape will blow off.

Standing by...let me know if there are any photos or questions. I am no expert, but I do own one and have a common frame of reference.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the tips guys, I ended up finding out that the gas screw was 45 degrees off the proper position in the spring washer. I seems that whoever reinstalled it last gave the screw an extra a quarter turn with the washer remaining in its proper place. Like Toombstone said; its possible to turn the screw almost 90 degrees past its proper alignment with the gas tube. With the spring washer installed, this would make it impossible to turn the screw far enough to open the gas valve. I guess that's something to check if anyone else picks up a Hakim. The gun cycles fine now, hopefully if somebody else is having this problem, they'll stumble onto this post and check the gas screw as instructed by Toombstone.

Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Goot to hear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:49 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Yeap, good news. Shoot all X's!