http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I've been Turked
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:43 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

For some reason I have always stayed away from 8x57 and Turks in particular. I'm no snob and mainly wanted to keep my reloading equipment and supplies streamlined. Israeli K 98s in 7.62 NATO are more my speed. Recently, a M38 presented itself locally at a ridiculous deal so now I have one.The rifle is a 1945 K. Kale. The stock appears to be Beech and I have a thing for Beech stocks. It had splits in the stock mainly in the grip and receiver area from poor recoil lug fitting. I fixed the cracks from the inside with dowels and Acraglass then bedded the recoil lug and pillars. This rifle came with some Romanian surplus and I think they all are duds(really deep recessed primers too). My firing pin protrusion is .062" and I replaced the firing pin spring with a Wolf 26 .lb now some of these surplus rounds will light on the third hit. I bought some PPU 196 gr sp and oddly they shoot low with the rear sight all the way down so I could raise the rear sight.Have any of you relieved the front band to barrel fit on yours ? On mine the metal on the front band has the barrel in a "nine line bind". I will be trying some hand loads as I could not resist buying dies and supplies for the only 8mm I own. Pictures.

Attachments:
IMG_9220.jpg
IMG_9220.jpg [ 460.29 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]
IMG_9217.jpg
IMG_9217.jpg [ 429.52 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]
IMG_9213.jpg
IMG_9213.jpg [ 1.88 MiB | Viewed 956 times ]
IMG_9208.JPG
IMG_9208.JPG [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 956 times ]
IMG_9202.jpg
IMG_9202.jpg [ 303.4 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

Post subject: Re: I've been Turked
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

singleshotcajun wrote:
For some reason I have always stayed away from 8x57 and Turks in particular. I'm no snob and mainly wanted to keep my reloading equipment and supplies streamlined. Israeli K 98s in 7.62 NATO are more my speed. Recently, a M38 presented itself locally at a ridiculous deal so now I have one.The rifle is a 1945 K. Kale. The stock appears to be Beech and I have a thing for Beech stocks. It had splits in the stock mainly in the grip and receiver area from poor recoil lug fitting. I fixed the cracks from the inside with dowels and Acraglass then bedded the recoil lug and pillars. This rifle came with some Romanian surplus and I think they all are duds(really deep recessed primers too). My firing pin protrusion is .062" and I replaced the firing pin spring with a Wolf 26 .lb now some of these surplus rounds will light on the third hit. I bought some PPU 196 gr sp and oddly they shoot low with the rear sight all the way down so I could raise the rear sight.Have any of you relieved the front band to barrel fit on yours ? On mine the metal on the front band has the barrel in a "nine line bind". I will be trying some hand loads as I could not resist buying dies and supplies for the only 8mm I own. Pictures.

If you are interested, I have a couple of Turk stocks in great shape
Oscar

The second step is to ignore the first step

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

A Turkish Mauser was the first surplus rifle I bought, which led me to buying other types. So the Turkish Mauser is what started the Military-Surplus addiction for me.

Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Last edited by ffuries on Sun May 29, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:26 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I just want to clarify that I was trying to be cute with the title of my post. "I've been Turked" was meant as a good thing. The Beech stock turned out nice and this rifle has a lot of character especially for one that likely had no real combat use.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:42 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

singleshotcajun wrote:
I just want to clarify that I was trying to be cute with the title of my post. "I've been Turked" was meant as a good thing. The Beech stock turned out nice and this rifle has a lot of character especially for one that likely had no real combat use.

I figured you were, didn't take it any other way!

Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:30 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I have a K.Kale and enjoy shooting it. I saw you mentioned that some of the surplus ammo that came with it were duds. You might want to pick up a new firing pin spring. I had some problems with with certain surplus ammo. Once I changed the spring,she will eat anything just fine...Larry

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:46 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Yeah: many Turks end up with weak springs now. They're fun.

CDFingers

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:50 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

singleshotcajun wrote:
This rifle came with some Romanian surplus and I think they all are duds(really deep recessed primers too). My firing pin protrusion is .062" and I replaced the firing pin spring with a Wolf 26 .lb now some of these surplus rounds will light on the third hit.
The 26.lb Wolf Blitzschnell spring I installed was new and boy howdy was it a bugger to get the bolt assembly back together. The new spring decreased my lock time by a bunch and let me know that the surplus ammo was surely bad. The extra powerful spring also made the trigger much stiffer.