http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:13 pm 

I took my Israeli Defense Force rifle in 7.62x51mm to the range again. This rifle is just so much fun to shoot. It loves any thing M-80 Ball or heavier and shoots as well as any quality made Mauser I own. What it started life as I'm not sure. It has a BRNO made receiver with the dirty birds and year of manufacture ground off. The lion is still on the receiver ring. Parts do not match, and many are stamped.
But the rifle shoots very well indeed. I had three of my club members fire the rifle at our target set to 385 meters and they had no problem hitting it for the most part on their first shot. I've fired it out as far as 800 yards at a man silhouette target and getting multiple hits was no real challenge.
I'd love to know the history of this rifle and who did the conversion? The barrel is lightly stamped 7.62 on the left side of the barrel,just in front of the receiver ring. There is an Israeli acceptance stamp as well. The rifle does not show that it was ever issued. I've had it for many years.
Attachment:
IDF 308 Mauser Rifle .jpg
IDF 308 Mauser Rifle .jpg [ 318.61 KiB | Viewed 3668 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:42 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

:shifty: :think: :think: Now that is a fine rifle. I wish I could find that quality specimen at a gun show. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Years ago I read of a Kaboom of a Norwegian K98 that had been factory converted to .30-06.
Whoever they tasked with scrubbing the receiver of NAZI markings had gone ape with a grinder cutting too deep into the ring past the carburized layer leaving a weak spot.
I'm leery of receivers scrubbed by grinding. It would be better to over stamp such offensive markings.

This example is probably okay. The Norwegian rifle that failed had a very deeply ground flat that extended the length of the ring.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:23 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

SavageShooter wrote:
Years ago I read of a Kaboom of a Norwegian K98 that had been factory converted to .30-06.
Whoever they tasked with scrubbing the receiver of NAZI markings had gone ape with a grinder cutting too deep into the ring past the carburized layer leaving a weak spot.
I'm leery of receivers scrubbed by grinding. It would be better to over stamp such offensive markings.

This example is probably okay. The Norwegian rifle that failed had a very deeply ground flat that extended the length of the ring.

All Norwegian rework 98k's had the flat spot. Something else went on there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:40 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Very nice example, you can find the info online or Poyers Mausers of the world book, Ill be happy just to find a IDF barrel for a 98k I have with a chamber problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Nice! Is the bayo also israeli?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:57 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:

Yep it is stamped "HAER and a new serial #" Barrel is also stamped" KAL 7.62 m/m" Original German markings still on receiver top. And just try to find an example of a Norwegian capture K98k in 30-06 at a gun show :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As had to find as a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow... then you got a cost factor :shhh: :shifty:
I have not seen an example for sale in 15 years at WI gun shows. Only as an exhibit specimen-not for sale :violin:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

SavageShooter wrote:

Norwegian used 3006 K98 (called M98K-F1) that has been converted for army use has not beed scrubbed for old markings. They have a flat at the front ring with a new serial number, for example "HÆR 12345"(ARMY12345), "FLY 1234"(Airforce 12345), "K.Art 1234" (coast artillery 1234).
If one specimen has blown up it is possibly someting else than the grinding, because approximately 100 000 of these were converted and they are in a lot of use everywhere in norway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:01 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Rob...that is a very nice looking IDF K98. Sounds like it is a great shooter.

I got one from sigsauer_ years ago that is not in anywhere as nice a condition...have never shot it. One of these days...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:05 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

72 usmc wrote:
Quote:

Yep it is stamped "HAER and a new serial #" Barrel is also stamped" KAL 7.62 m/m" Original German markings still on receiver top. And just try to find an example of a Norwegian capture K98k in 30-06 at a gun show :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As had to find as a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow... then you got a cost factor :shhh: :shifty:
I have not seen an example for sale in 15 years at WI gun shows. Only as an exhibit specimen-not for sale :violin:

I got one some years back at an auction. Not sure the other bidders knew what it was. Apparently when they converted them, the Norwegians kept all of the original parts together, to include the screws.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:21 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Wow, I've never seen such a large lion crest. I thought you meant the small proof on Czech accepted guns. I don't have the book with me to look up that configuration of Czech rifle, but best guess is that's a postwar put together from leftover WWII parts, since you seem to have commercial siderail markings. It was probably in 8mm when sold to Israel and modified later. The best known Israeli 7.62 Mausers are the purpose made FN ones but they also did conversions, and in the early days of Israeli independence the Czechs were the only ones who would sell them weapons

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:05 pm 

You think the Czechs really wanted the Israelis to know who made their rifles? I do believe my rifle was converted from 8mm in a Kibbutz, but who really knows? Stories say large numbers were sent out and converted to 7.62.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Both of those are very nice. I've never seen one personally that looked that good. Does anybody remember the rough ones Century had a few years ago? WOAH! :o