Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Removing bullet sealer in case neck

sicilian
United States of America

Removing bullet sealer in case neck

#1 Post by sicilian » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:29 pm

I recently pulled some bullets and dumped powder from some older Hansen ammo so I could reload the unfired brass for my AG42. I had to use alot of force on my cam lok bullet puller to remove them. I can't imagine what kind of chamber pressure it would take to get the bullet moving. Some kind of black sealer was used and I would like to remove it from the case necks as easily as possible. Right now they are soaking in simple green but I know someone out there has a better method. Methods that really work would be appreciated, thanks in advance........... Sicilian

luigi
United States of America

Re: Removing bullet sealer in case neck

#2 Post by luigi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:58 pm

I have used gasoline to dissolve the tar on some old Indian ammo I pulled

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by RWS » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:40 am

I also used gasoline with good results on some pulled USGI 175 grain .308 bullets with excellent results. It dissolved the sealant quickly, too.

-Bob

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 am

It is asphalt sealer. Very common to water proof the case neck.
The bullet is not blown out of the case neck. The pressure builds up and the case neck expands in the chamber and the bullet is free to move. This is to provide two factors. One is to prevent the bullet from being unseated by the force of the primer moving the powder charge up against the base of the bullet and moving it before the normal pressure is reached, This also aids in consistency for greater accuracy. Second to prevent water from entering the cartridge. The force to do this with a bullet puller is about 60 pounds as you are dragging the bullet out of the case neck.
All US armor piercing ammo has this type of sealer.
Acetone on a Q-Tip will remove the asphalt.
A question I have is why are you downloading for your Jlungman?
Check out this ammunition manual and see the chamber pressures for the .30-06 ammo types in chapter 5. Several of the specialty bullets are asphalt sealed.
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITA ... l_1994.pdf
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

sicilian
United States of America

#5 Post by sicilian » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:15 am

Hey Rapidrob, I have shot new production Prvi Partizan, recomended by you and others, with no problems. I thought I had read that Hansen ammo didn't have the proper burn rate powder for the AG and could cause serious problems. Any way, I did't trust it and so I broke it down to get the Prive Partizan brass.I couldn't find a date on it any where but my friend bought it in the 80s' or thereabouts when he was buying alot of swedish rifles. I didn't have acetone on hand but after soaking deprimed brass in simple green for a week I used a bronze cleaning brush in a drill and reamed out the black tar. Used a q tip to get most of the gunk and later rinsed everythingout in water......... the simple green discolored the brass but I think tumbling will shine them up. More work than I really wanted to do but it yielded about 200 pcs of unfired Privi brass. I made the mistake of ordering some mixed headstamp brass from powder valley but later found out that US produced brass may have the wrong diameter head .............. I will be checking it with my micrometer..........Mistakes are good if you learn something new .....and don't forget it!!!............. Later.............good shooting bro

Return to “Military Semi-Automatic Rifles General Topics”