Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Two favorites from WW2

M67
Slovenia

Two favorites from WW2

#1 Post by M67 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 am

Two of my favorite rifles from my small collection. Two completely different concepts of semi-automatic rifle. The first is a real battle rifle, an ugly, long witch, and extremely well balanced. Strong and powerful cartridge 7,62x54R. The operating system is a very simple, detachable magazine that can be filled with 5 cartridges. Tula Year 1941, unfortunately after the war, was rebuilt. The barrel and other parts are well preserved.
The other one is a nice, little sweet carbine. Inland, GM, 1-45. But stock marked NPM. Very well preserved, excellent for shooting. Both rifles are the champions in number produced in the USSR and USA during ww2.
Attachments
SVT in M1 carbine d.jpg
SVT  carbine.jpg
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Two favorites from WW2

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:06 am

My two WW II rifle favorites both non semi auto, are the Enfield No. 5 jungle carbine and the Mosin M44 carbine- both mule kickers.
My favorite WW I would be the P14 and the US M1917, same rifle, but chambered for different rounds
Ya, I know not semi autos, but I never cared for semi autos, if I had to select one, I guess the US M1 carbine would also be my semi auto of choice. :clap:
I got seven or so and do CMP shoots with them, nice toys between a 45 pistol for up close and an M1 for distance. A nice 100 yard shooter.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

steamer
United States of America

#3 Post by steamer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:06 am

Great looking rifles! Is it hard to find .30 carbine ammo in your neck of the woods?

Smokey
United States of America

#4 Post by Smokey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:48 am

"nice toys between a 45 pistol for up close and an M1 for distance. A nice 100 yard shooter."
That is exactly what the M1 Carbine was intended for.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

echo1
United States of America

#5 Post by echo1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:09 am

Couple good looking rifles. I lusted after an SVT for years, and I was finally able to barter for one a while ago. M1 Paratrooper has been on the list forever. PAX

M67
Slovenia

#6 Post by M67 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:32 am

72 usmc wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:06 am
My two WW II rifle favorites both non semi auto, are the Enfield No. 5 jungle carbine and the Mosin M44 carbine- both mule kickers.
My favorite WW I would be the P14 and the US M1917, same rifle, but chambered for different rounds
Ya, I know not semi autos, but I never cared for semi autos, if I had to select one, I guess the US M1 carbine would also be my semi auto of choice. :clap:
I got seven or so and do CMP shoots with them, nice toys between a 45 pistol for up close and an M1 for distance. A nice 100 yard shooter.
I was thinking about semiautomatic rifles from my collection. I haven't "taste" Garand yet! :oops:

From bolt action rifles I prefer Kar 98K and SMLE No1MkIII*. I don't like Mosin Nagant because of hard and slow action. I have M38, nice, light and very simple, but I don't like it because of the action.
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#7 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:44 pm

My Grandfather was a toolmaker on the Inland line here in Dayton, Ohio during WWII. He also made the molds for tank tracks. He often told me somebody got killed testing one.

My 91/30 1943 Izzy ex-snoper has a superb action, especially after I put some Finish parts in it. Oh, to give up on them so soon. Krags have the best actions by far. SMLE's aren't exactly far behind, especially No1 MKIII's.

I've shot a SVT-40 and it's a hoot. I would never buy one since getting parts seems hard. I do like Garands, a very smooth semi-auto that oozes character.

Best Regards,

Mark

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#8 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:45 pm

I've found that a M1917 kicks as bad as a M-44. I'm I wrong, of is my shoulder just falling apart over time?

Best Regards,

Mark

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:53 pm

The M1917 is very pleasant to shoot. The M1903 can be painful depending on the stock type.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Smokey
United States of America

#10 Post by Smokey » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:29 am

The M1917 is a pound heavier than the Springfield, with a barrel that's two inches longer. Both tend to reduce recoil. How you hold the rifle has an effect as well. One thing I like about the M1917 is it's actually far safer then the M1903 when things go wrong. I had a primer failure with one, and nothing came back into my face or glasses.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

rob
United States of America

#11 Post by rob » Tue May 01, 2018 12:09 pm

The 1917 is a pussy cat compared to the m44

Return to “Military Semi-Automatic Rifles General Topics”