http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finnish M28 Questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:34 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I recently saw a decent looking Finnish M28 with the ski trooper stock, but I was not in the know about all the various Civil Guard and SN numbers and whether it matched or not. I thought the SN was in the 11,000 range and after doing some research I read where they apparently only put these stocks on the first 6,000 made. Would this type of stock be correct for a M28 made later, possibly put on during a refurb or is it a Bubba Special?

The guy wanted $550, which I thought was a little high, but I don't know much about M28s. From what few I see on GB, they sell about $400-500+ depending on condition and various details. It had a import mark on the muzzle, cleaning rod present, stock had cartouches and minor dings/bumps, SY marking on top of the receiver and I believe it was a Tikka marking too and a SA inside a box on the left side of the receiver, and I believe the SN matched on the receiver and bolt knob. Bore was a little dirty and hard to tell 100% what the condition was in. I was not sure about it and passed on it since I didn't know enough about it at the time.

Hopefully someone here can enlighten me on M28s.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:21 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

When it comes to Finn rifles "correct" is a term best forgotten. They started out with Russian rifles and built on that receiver whatever they needed at the time.

IOWA-Birth Place of John Wayne

There's more than one way to skin a cat, waiting till they are completely dead is the safest!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Understood on using the term "correct" for a Finn rifle due to the various mixing and matching of parts. I was concerned on buying a M28 with a stock that would not have been used with a later production rifle, especially for $550. Is this the avg. price for one of these today? Not too many on GB to see what they sell for at the moment.

There is a chance this rifle may still be available and I can check it out again after reading up on M28s.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:50 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I'm not sure about prices, and what I'm saying is in my opinion it is very difficult to determine whether the rifle you are interested in might have had its stock replaced by a Finn armorer or by some bubba.

IOWA-Birth Place of John Wayne

There's more than one way to skin a cat, waiting till they are completely dead is the safest!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

FriedSpam wrote:
I'm not sure about prices, and what I'm saying is in my opinion it is very difficult to determine whether the rifle you are interested in might have had its stock replaced by a Finn armorer or by some bubba.

Good point on the stock, as resourceful as the Finns were I am sure they would have reused a good stock on another action if the original one the stock may have been married to was worn out/broken etc.