http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tula ex sniper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:03 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Very nice. :thumb: I like the stock repair, it adds a lot of character to the rifle. Thanks for posting the pix, I enjoyed looking at them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:57 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Stock repair is to the former scope cut in the wood, hence you have the original sniper stock with that rifle. Nice grab it. I can not make it out, but yours may still have the scope number on the left side???? That is even better. Do the numbers match and still have the Russian letter prefix on the serial numbers or a restamp?? It is always nice to still have the original stock that was repaired during the decommission. A Better example in my book. Do not refinish the stock. Where is the import mark-- under the barrel on the front, even better? Or, is it a later import mark on the receiver? Is the bolt all Tula stamped parts? More important, is the bolt body Tula stamped, the other non Tula parts can be switched out for Tula. however, the bolt body can not since it has the matching serial number from the rebuild- is it the same backwards N serial number on the bolt ? If it is really great. Most are Izzy and restamped to match. If you have a Tula bolt body that is really nice. Get a nice older brownish sling for the rifle, not the later green ones. An excellent example of a ex sniper. You can always get a bent bolt, fake stamped with your number lacking the prefix and the bolt makers stamp see BOLTMAN. But keep the short bolt.

If not all Tula parts (bands & bolt parts) you can get a star stamped cocking knob and connector bar cheep to match it out. Same with bands. The big concern is a Izzy bolt body with a restamp matching serial- that you are stuck with. Not all got Tula bolt bodies its just what came out of the parts bin. You should notice the trigger will be smooth like a Fin Mosin. But the barrel is most likely worn, hence a decomission since it was not up to sniper standards. But one nice rifle, well worth $299 mainly due to the original stock and Tula maker. If you want a sniper, it best to have a Tula :dance: So yes, more pics, and answers to questions. Photos of bolt markings and the left side of the receiver and weld spots and the import mark. How worn is the barrel? Got a micro lense setting on your camera for details?
I love that stock.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

The bolt doesn't match but I though that might be since it wasn't the bent bolt the import mark is on the bottom of the front barrel you can hardly see it as far as the serial number on the side of receiver it matches but is one letter short compared to the other serial numbers as far as barrel it has nice rifling and did well with bullet test still have a good 1/4 inch of bullet left before the neck of the shell the stock finish is falling off when I pick it up so I will have to do some type of finishing maybe a wipe down and some new shellac I plan to shoot it this weekend ill keep you posted on how it shoots thanks for all your info

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:49 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

see these old post and many internal post links:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=146144&hilit=+mosin+refinish

viewtopic.php?f=185&t=142153&hilit=+Read+up+prior+to+drastic+refinish

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=134897&hilit=+Mosin+refinish