http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tula ex sniper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hi all my local place has one of these 1943 Tula it seems to be all matching except the bolt it has an arsenal repair on the opposite side of the bolt I assume from removing scope mount it looks cool but never saw a ex sniper model and wasn't sure if it was wort any more than a regular 91/30 they are asking 299 just looking for input and if there is anything I should look for thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Tula ex sniper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:24 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The ex simpers always seemed to sell for more than a regular 91/30. Even more if it still has the bent bolt. 299 is a decent price on that even with a standard straight bolt but try to talk them down by pointing out there is a reason it is an Ex sniper (see last paragraph).

Its pretty easy to confirm if its an ex sniper because you can see where they filled in the holes in the receiver for the scope mount which it looks like you found.

They made them ex snipers (took them out of sniper service) when the accuracy suffered and was not up to sniper standards (from barrel wear or other issues) so if you want a shooter make sure you check the bore (and crown) on that rifle to make sure its still good. Some of the ex-snipers shoot worse (less accuracy) than a standard run of the mill 91/30 and some other ex snipers shoot just fine.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Yes it does I'm going to do a bullet test and check crown next time I go also there seems to be a serial number on side of barrel or receiver I don't remember but would that have been the number to match the scope thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:52 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

That number should be n the left side of the recvr (or the barrel) is the scope number and should be crossed out and sometimes they scrubbed it. The Tula snipers all had what looks like a Y or a C and what looks like an upside down U on them too in another spot (I guess its Cyrillic letters)

Also check the stock. Some of the ex sniper stocks have been repaired where the cut out for the scope mount was. That means its the original stock. If it doesn't have that cutout (repaired or not repaired) it means it was restocked by the arsenal which is typically the case.

Also I remember Samco (from FL) used to sell the ex snipers with the bent bolt. They sold them for 299 before going bankrupt. Look around on that rifle to see who the importer was.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:05 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Most snipers were not made "ex-snipers" because of accuracy issues. Some probably were, but most of them were retired because of broken scopes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:41 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

The stock has the repair where the scope was but I didn't see the other letters you are talking about there is something on the topic of barrel above the star but it's hard to tell what it is also the numbers aren't crossed out maybe it's a replacement barrel I don't know much on these and don't want to get one that's not what it should be I'll go take another look tomorrow the bolt is straight and doesn't match not sure if that's common with these thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:53 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

From what you describe thats definitely a ex-sniper. I did some looking around and found a picture of the marks I was talking about on Tula snipers so you could look at that before going to look at the rifle.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2009/03/is-your-9130-mosin-rifle-ex-sniper.html

Most of the ex snipers don't have bent bolts. The Russian Arsenals recycled the bent bolt into spare parts and gave them a straight bolt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks for the info I'm going to see it again tomorrow and I will check all the things to make sure it checks out ill let you know thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I checked out rifle again but I don't see anything C or H above or next to start on barrel so I'm not sure it's definitely an ed sniper could only stock and receiver be ex sniper and barrel be a arsenal re barreled gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Ok so I pulled the trigger and put the rifle on hold it did have the C AND H or U on top of barrel not the clearest but enough to tell it's those letters bullet test was very good lot of life left on barrel also has the pre war stock on it with nice arsenal repair where the scope mount was which was what interested me in the rifle in the first place plus the trigger is much better compared to the other 91/30S . looking forward to getting it Thanks for all your help

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Way to go! :thumb:

Congratulations on your acquisition. Please post up some detailed pix and a range report when you get a chance. We like pictures on here.

Please enjoy your "new to you" Tula ex-sniper.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:29 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Not sure how to post pictures is there any place on here that tells you how thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:50 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

How to post a pic:
viewtopic.php?f=211&t=89196

Photos of Tulas and different welds on exsnipers:
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=136524&hilit=+exsnipers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:52 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter