http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got my P 14 today
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:09 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

My P 14 came today and after cleaning the bore it is nice almost perfect.I never understood why guys don't clean bores before they sell them. I do have to get a hand guard the one that came with it is cracked and glue is drying, even still has the rear volley sight but since its a 1917 stock no front volley sight if I could find a front one I would fit it to the stock. All parts are marked E or have no marks barrel has no date on it like my Eddystone 1917. Shoots real nice.

Attachments:
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 536 times ]
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 536 times ]
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 536 times ]
IMG_0249.JPG
IMG_0249.JPG [ 2.05 MiB | Viewed 536 times ]

Post subject: Re: Got my P 14 today
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:46 pm 

The P14 rifle has better accuracy than the SMLE rifles and I have not seen one that has the SMLE head space problems that destroys commercial brass.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:52 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Have you removed it from the stock? All of my P14's had a SN and date stamped on the left side of the barrel along with proof marks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Yes it has the serial number and all kinds of proof marks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

My P14 fire forms to near perfect all the brass that my No4 & No5 chew up.
They come out of that rifle better than if I full length resized the cases! - Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:20 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I am used to having a bulge from my #4 Mk 2 really strange not to have that From this rifle lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

It is easy on brass as it is a Mauser with front locking lugs . Enfields do not wreck brass from headspace problems , they stretch cases when the long bolt compresses and springs back from firing . They lock in the middle of the bolt by the handle .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

It seems like No.1 and No.4 chambers had no single standard for chamber reamers other than base diameter and length to the chamber mouth. Its not easy to find two of either type that form cases exactly alike.
With No.4 chambers its often a matter of improperly pre fitted barrels being over torqued to clock in. According to Reynolds this resulted in the shoulder moving forwards on proof firing due to stresses in the metal at the knox (Nock's?) form.

My Savage no.4 leaves fired cases that are indistinguishable from unfired cases other than expansion of the case mouth. This rifle had a badly rusted non matching bolt so I replaced the bolt body and fitted a #3 bolthead back when those were still to be had cheap. Headspace is about .067-.068 near as I can tell using shims.

"They lock in the middle of the bolt by the handle "
The handle itself is not used as a lug, but the righthand lug/guide rib and lefthand lug lock in at near the middle of the bolt. You may be thinking of the bolt handle of the Mosin Nagant or the Carcano, though these are mounted on the guide ribs that act as safety lugs rather than as locking lugs.

I've seen a Mauser patent drawing of a rear locking action very similar to the French MAS 36 rifle. The Lee Enfield design was not the only rear locking action.

Loose chambers adopted due to the poor quality of WW1 era ammunition and weak primary extraction is the real culprit.
When the chamber is within original Royal Engineer specifications and head space within .068 fired cases will not show much deformation or stretching.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The Enfield is a bridge locker just like a M-71 Mauser . It locks on the receiver bridge using the long lug on the side of the bolt , all the way back near the handle . It locks 4 INCHES to the rear of the base of the chamber . That 4 inches compresses and springs back on firing . About .012 on average . That is what causes the case head separation .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

That is also why you can use cases that are fire formed to the chamber [ 0 headspace ] and you will still have case head separation .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:09 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

There is some spring in the Lee Enfield action body, more than any other centerfire action type I can think of, but still not nearly enough to cause a case head separation in a rifle with decent headspace, unless of course the cartridges used are loaded to pressures far in excess of the 48,000 CUP of the Mk8z cartridge.

Loose headspace causes stretching and bulging of fired cases. Attempting to reload stretched and bulged cases results in head separations due to the brass becoming work hardened and brittle.
Before replacing my bolt body and bolt head I got at most three reloads from cases fired in this rifle. After correcting the loose headspace I got thirty or more reloads per case.

Slow Bob
The only real disadvantage of the springy Lee Enfield type action body is the fact that it results in bullets being thrown to the left of the bore line on firing. They compensated for that by off setting the front sight base to the left.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:30 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Enfield rifles were never meant to use reloaded ammo shoot a burdan primed 303 and just get more loaded ammo. Not sure why the British used an action that stretched so much they had to use different bolt heads. This is the same country that thought the Garand would not work in sand and cold..

Not sure why they did not use a mag on the P14 like they did on the#1mk 3 and #4 the 10 mag was a great idea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:35 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

hippycrowe wrote:
Not sure why they did not use a mag on the P14 like they did on the#1mk 3 and #4 the 10 mag was a great idea

Interesting question as to why no detachable mag. If you take into account the nearly 9 pound weight of the rifle empty that might have something to do with the extra capacity question.

The P13 was to be a huge departure from what had ever come before for the British. The rimless 7mm round (.276dia) it was designed around was suppose to be faster to load via stripper clips than the .303 was making the larger capacity magazine redundant in the designers minds.
Ask any troop that has ever hefted a rifle in combat if a smaller magazine capacity but faster reloading makes them happy and we all know what their answer will be. - Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:16 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

They used the action because they were the only major power not to replace their black powder action .The weak action is why their ammo performance is below every one else's , why they used undersized lubed bullets to gain some velocity without pressure, light tip bullets to gain killing power with out high velocity, and why they did what the P-13 . Head separation is not a problem with military ammo , just reloads .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:30 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

The military sure had different thinking back then they would train soldier s not to waist ammo not realizing it's sometimes the volume of fire not how accurate it is.

My uncl complained about how heavy the M14 was in Vietnam until he started getting shot at and realized that heavy rifle just saved my life.

One thing about the #3 and #4 you can shoot them fast the mad minute was very effective in WW1