http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:20 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I know there is a serial number survey, but this is different. I am doing some research and would like some help from Maltby owners. I am trying to compile a list of markings on Maltby built or Maltby FTR'd No 4 rifles. To do this it would be helpful to see pictures or a listing of the markings on the following areas:

1) Left wrist. Provide the letter prefix and the first 2 digits of the serial number as well as the year.
2) The markings on the left front portion of the body (receiver). Since they are usually poorly stamped, clear close-up pictures would be most helpful. A description of the markings and what letter and numbers are present will be sufficient.
3) The underside of the wrist that is normally covered by the trigger guard. This would require removal of the trigger guard. A listing of the letters found there will be sufficient.
4) Left side of body (receiver) containing any FTR with an M markings. A description of location and marking will be sufficient.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any pictures submitted I do plan to save so please do not share pictures unless you are willing for them to be in the public domain. Credit will be properly given to all pictures shared, if you want to provide a true name rather than a forum name for the pictures then please PM me. The purpose of this project is to compile a list of markings unique to Maltby rifles. Thank you all in advance for any help or input provided.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:18 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Stikum applied. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Thanks, Tommy! That is appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:17 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Here's what's externally visible on mine:

1) Left wrist. Provide the letter prefix and the first 2 digits of the serial number as well as the year. [^Q 14xxx (where the ^ character is probably an A) year is marked M 1943]
2) The markings on the left front portion of the body (receiver). Since they are usually poorly stamped, clear close-up pictures would be most helpful. A description of the markings and what letter and numbers are present will be sufficient. [on the round fwd part of the receiver in small letters UK 303 BRIT; just aft of the gas relief hole on the flat is a poorly stamped partial circle with a little c just below the arc and just below that is another partial circle arc with what looks like a small 1]
3) The underside of the wrist that is normally covered by the trigger guard. This would require removal of the trigger guard. A listing of the letters found there will be sufficient. [I didn't want to break the rifle down to get this]
4) Left side of body (receiver) containing any FTR with an M markings. A description of location and marking will be sufficient. [No4 MK1 clearly marked a little aft of where the thickness of the web increases, no other marks are present]

This rifle is in excellent condition, looks freshly blued, the blue having a black appearance (looks too even to be suncorite? however the front band is painted that way) with no appreciable wear, the stock appears to have its original finish with the bolt, fore stock and magazine with matching serial numbers to the receiver. The buttstock is marked with a 209 but appears to be part of the original stock since the finish and accumulated bruises appear identical. There is a small import mark on the lower left side of the wrist.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:41 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Thank you for sharing your information. Those circular marks are usually poorly stamped but thank you for describing them. If you ever do pull the trigger guard off please note the letters on the bottom of the body as I am finding those are unique to Maltby but have yet to put them in relation to any serial number series or such. This information is appreciated! :thumb: