http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Have been slowly getting back into the military surplus world more and more lately. I was taken in by the dark arts (IE ar15.com) and my mind was corrupted. However, in my heart I've always had a deep love for Enfields

I was pursuing Armslist the other night (dangerous within itself), and found a gentleman offering up a Ishapore 2A1 Enfield in 7.62x51MM. All numbers match with the exception of the magazine (I don't know if they were originally numbered to the rifle or not). The former owner advised when he got it the person he got it from had lost/misplaced it so he gave him a good deal on the rifle. The guy I got it from in turn located an original replacement magazine that works (though appears alot newer looking than rest of the rifle).

I was cash poor, but sent the guy an offer to trade for an AR I had built and had listed but for around $850 with everything added on. The guy was actually interested in the AR, and after some haggling and me taking some stuff off the rifle that he couldn't pay (ie Surefire light, Vickers tactical sling, cqb front sling mount) I got the Ishapore 2A1 plus $300.

Not a bad deal I think, considering $100 automatically going back in my gun fund. The rest is going towards the wife's kitchen remodel. Figure she lets me indulge so I'll be nice

Sorry for quality of pictures, ones I received from the seller. Haven't even had time to clean it (he admitted to me bore was dirty) but everything else looks excellent on the rifle

I hope to get this guy out soon and let his younger brother (1943 Savage Enfield that sandlapper gave me) teach him the ways

Attachments:
IMG_20170110_172400.jpg
IMG_20170110_172400.jpg [ 199.13 KiB | Viewed 394 times ]
IMG_20170110_172344.jpg
IMG_20170110_172344.jpg [ 423.31 KiB | Viewed 394 times ]
IMG_20170110_172324.jpg
IMG_20170110_172324.jpg [ 368.2 KiB | Viewed 394 times ]

Last edited by crazysarge16 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:55 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Did you mean "Prodigal Son" instead of prodigy child? (Luke 15:11-32)

Not a bad looking 2A1. Mine was a dog, I got rid of it and haven't found a replacement yet.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 am 

A great rifle,very accurate and very strong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I've got a 68 Ishapore that shoots well. Looks like a twin to the one you picked up. Mine also came with missing parts (the safety), so the guy selling it gave me a good deal also. I found the missing parts at Numrich, and it functions fine now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

GIJeaux wrote:
Did you mean "Prodigal Son" instead of prodigy child? (Luke 15:11-32)

Not a bad looking 2A1. Mine was a dog, I got rid of it and haven't found a replacement yet.

Al

Yes thank you. Operating on alot.of coffee and no sleep thanks to all the winter weather lately

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

The guy I got it from gave me roughly 30 rounds assorted 308 Winchester. Should I have any problems shooting it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:34 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Crazysarge: My '68 Ishapore is a rock. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

crazysarge16 wrote:
The guy I got it from gave me roughly 30 rounds assorted 308 Winchester. Should I have any problems shooting it?

After wading thorough all the back and forth, up and down discussions on what you can and can't shoot in an Ishapore, I've pretty much decided you can shoot any .308 or 7.62 ammo in it without worry. Mine seems to eat anything including steel cases with no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Good to know on the ammo, I plan on stockpiling it deep the next 4 glorious years.

Can anyone recommend a headspace gauge set for 7.62x51? I'm planning on getting a few more rifles in that variety and want a good general set that will work in them all.

Ultimate end game is to find an Isreali Mauser in 7.62x51, but considering I've only seen 2 in my area chances aren't looking good. First was at a gun show when I was younger first into surplus and was priced around $250-300, which I thought was a conversion a bubba did at first till I finally got cell phone reception in the gun show (metal roof circa 2007), found out what it was and went to buy it with no luck. Some old codger had grabbed it :violin: :violin: I kid, was actually a nice guy cause I talked to him while he was waiting for his paperwork to be run, was surprised someone my age (18 at the time) would be interested but didn't let me buy it from him. Second one was at my local Cabela's about a month ago but was cash poor from Christmas and by time I decided to heck with it, I'd put it on my credit card it was gone. Next one shall be mine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:50 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

crazysarge16 wrote:
Good to know on the ammo, I plan on stockpiling it deep the next 4 glorious years.

Can anyone recommend a headspace gauge set for 7.62x51? I'm planning on getting a few more rifles in that variety and want a good general set that will work in them all.

Now that is a can of worms.

Basically you are not able to 'headspace' a military 7.62 rifle UNLESS you have the correct military headspace gauges, and the military have over a dozen headspace gauges for use on various 7.62 rifles.

If you think about it - the headspace on a (rimless cartridge firing) rifle is taken at some arbitrary point on a sloping shoulder, I could make a gauge a very different size and shape to one that you could make and both give the same measurement, but both using different points on the shoulder - you could of course use commercial 308 Win gauges but that would be even worse because the headspaces on the two calibres are very different (nominally about 13 thou - 0.013")
It is for this reason that it is not 'ideal' to use commercial 308 ammunition in a 7.62 NATO rifle.

I can give you the exact max/min dimensions of the 2A / 2A1 headspace but it is meaningless without being told at what 'diameter' on the shoulder the measurement was taken.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:55 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I'd love to get an Ishapore.