Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Styer 1897

U.S., Danish, and Norwegian
pmachine
Ireland

Styer 1897

#1 Post by pmachine » Fri May 03, 2019 10:49 am

Hi.
I'm new to the forum but wanted to talk about an old rifle.
My father has a Styer 1897 rifle. I know this is "The Krag" but I understand there was a shared manufacture. Mod please move if I'm in the wrong spot.
20170629_192040.jpg
The rifle has had a hard life and I wanted to do a bit to clean the rifle up a bit.
I am looking for:

Front Band Spring
Rear Band Spring
Front Band & Screw & Strap eyelet
Rear Band and Screw
All three stock retention screws

I'm based in Ireland and have absolutely no idea where to get bits.
I would also like to know some more about the rifle itself, if they were shared with krag and really anything else.
For the anyone who notices in the image the Mauser is mine. It's a Norwegian .30-06 k98.
I'm sure I will post more about it again.

OldRifles
United States of America

Re: Styer 1897

#2 Post by OldRifles » Wed May 08, 2019 10:43 am

Welcome!
You probably already know this, but don't try and 'improve' the stock or the metal finish by doing anything more than wiping them down with a rag. Your parts list sounds like someone in the past may have 'sporterized' the rifle, or at least removed it from the stock and misplaced or discarded the parts. They won't be easy to find, but you could try and place a 'WTB' (Want To Buy) ad in the Trader on a large forum like Gunboards.com that has a wide, international audience. Are the remaining parts matching?

Steyr produced the first Norwegian Krags, with Kongsberg following later. Where in Mayo are you located? All this time I thought that private firearms ownership was forbidden in Ireland...

Pat

Return to “The Krag”