Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Barrel lug number M59/66A1

nothernug
United States of America

Re: Barrel lug number M59/66A1

#16 Post by nothernug » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Please! I am not now, nor ever have been, an "expert" about anything! I can claim to be a little more familiar with Yugoslav arms than the average collector but, that does not make me an expert!

As for different marking systems, that's not impossible but I really think it's unlikely. I am more familiar with their turnbolt guns, mostly Mausers, than I am the later self loading arms. The numbering on my M59s parallel what is typically seen on Yugoslav rifles from at least 1928 through the end of Mauser production and refurbishment. The system is also the same in use at Kragujevac as well as the many different workshops. Withal, it seems unlikely they changed it at that late date on a simple model modification.
But, it's often said among Yugoslav collectors that the one thing you can expect is the unexpected. :idea:

An example of recognized serial & assembly numbers on a Yugoslav 24/47 Mauser worked at factory 44 Kragujevac...
24-47-FN bolt w- ser & assy #s.JPG
serial & assy numbers on bolt arm & root. These would have matching numbers on receiver & bbl.
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

Dannyboy53
United States of America

#17 Post by Dannyboy53 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:06 am

72 usmc wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:02 am
Interesting :idea: :?: :?: :?: :think:
See Richard W's post in this link: https://www.theakforum.net/forums/60-sk ... sks-2.html

that may be an assembly number??? reminds me of the assembly #s on Yugo M57s. Not an SKS guy, just an observation.
Some of Richard's photos; notice the assembly # is different from the rifles serial number. Does yours also have electro written assembly numbers???
Mine has e-penciled numbers but none of them match this one on the lug.
"If the general government should persist in the measures now threatened, there must be war."
General Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson

nothernug
United States of America

#18 Post by nothernug » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:40 pm

Again, I say, I am no expert... and I can prove it! I ran this question by a gentleman who knows far more about the sks rifle family than I will ever begin to know and that means by whoever made them. One "Yooper John." If you haven't you ought to check out his web site.
But, here is his reply to this question.
As far as I know the Yugoslav Guns were more concerned with assembly numbers and part numbers than serial numbers on everything. Serial numbers on major parts but that’s about it. I would think the barrel would be considered a major part but I don’t remember ever seeing the barrels of the SKS having matching s/n on them.
Yooper john
That sounds pretty plain to me so I yield to greater knowledge and say I am sorry, I was wrong.
Furthermore, I thank you for standing your ground and encouraging me to do some research. I really HATE passing on erroneous information.
So again, thank you.
Jim
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

Return to “Yugoslavian Rifles”