Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Barrel lug number M59/66A1

Dannyboy53
United States of America

Barrel lug number M59/66A1

#1 Post by Dannyboy53 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:45 am

A couple of months ago I featured this M59/66A1 on this forum (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3506) now I'm wondering what this number stamped on the bottom of the barrel lug means? It's different from the serial number or any of the parts numbers.

I apologize for the poor photo, the number is: 63591

And Thanks!

"If the general government should persist in the measures now threatened, there must be war."
General Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson

nothernug
United States of America

Re: Barrel lug number M59/66A1

#2 Post by nothernug » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Offhand, I would say this part was taken from another rifle and used on this one and that is the serial number of the rifle it was taken from. It's late for me now. Maybe tomorrow I'll break down a couple of mine to verify that that is a serial number. But, I can't see it being anything else.

And your photo is OK. I didn't have any trouble making out what is was.
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:02 am

Interesting :idea: :?: :?: :?: :think:
See Richard W's post in this link: https://www.theakforum.net/forums/60-sk ... sks-2.html

that may be an assembly number??? reminds me of the assembly #s on Yugo M57s. Not an SKS guy, just an observation.
Some of Richard's photos; notice the assembly # is different from the rifles serial number. Does yours also have electro written assembly numbers???
Richard W photo sample many more in the original post:
orig.jpg
orig-4.jpg
orig-3.jpg
orig-2.jpg
orig-1.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

nothernug
United States of America

#4 Post by nothernug » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:39 pm

So then, "7977" is not your serial number?
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:28 pm

So then, "7977" is not your serial number?

The example SKS, (Richard W) has rifle serial number 806762 and assembly # 7977. On this one there are assembly electro written numbers on other parts . See original source link and view the rifle's serial number on trigger strap (blurred) and more clearly seen on the photo six in the link ( in my selected views it is photo 2 from the top). Not sure what that part is called on an sks. The original photos in the Theakforum link show details better than my reposted sample photos taken from that original source. This is very similar to the assembly number system and serial numbers found on Yugo M57 Toks. This is only one example, and I am not an SKS guy.

As I can make out, the original poster- Dannyboy53 -has a Yugo 59/66 with an unknown serial number, a part # is shown 0???22 and his rifle has a possible assembly number of 63591. He did not identify his serial number. But wanted to know what the number on the barrel flat "63591" is. Dannyboy53 states:
It's different from the serial number or any of the parts numbers.
I think it is an assembly number. But for the record, I am not positive, but pretty sure its an assy. # I do not own any SKS. I just find the Yugoslavian system of numbering firearms and parts fascinating. It appears Dannyboy53's Yugo SKS rifle has part #s, a serial #, and assembly numbers.
This is also observed on some the early M57 Tokarevs.

part #
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 7.44.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 7.44.26 PM.png (134.46 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
assembly # ? I would bet
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 7.44.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 7.44.10 PM.png (138.82 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
For an example of a Yugo M57 tokarev and the Yugo assembly # phenomena see the top of page 3 in this link:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=608&start=30

:arrow: :idea: Here is a very interesting post about SKS Yugo numbers ( almost makes me want to buy a Yugo SKS just to take it down& view these numbering systems ):
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=140779.0
from the above source;
AKBLUE
Re: Please help Educate me on Yugo SKS Serial Number & Re-arsenal markings
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
Here is a brief compilation of numbers explanations etc.

There are several sets of numbers that can be found on the Yugo SKS

Assembly numbers are electric pencil marked on metal parts (the parts like receiver, bolt, barrel, etc that are fitted to the assembly).

Lead pencil marked on wood parts (stock at trigger cut) These will not match the serial number which is assigned after it is built.

Another type are stamped numbers., these are part numbers and look like Nato part numbers., some early guns do not have them but most all rebuilt and late guns do. 00-000-00 etc.

Firearm serial numbers on matching parts like he receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, magazine.

Acceptance or inspection marks electro pencil such as "BK"
What we need is a few other members to show a few more example rifles----the numbers on an early and late Yugo SKS
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

nothernug
United States of America

#6 Post by nothernug » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:41 am

No, I have to say in this instance you are wrong about it's being an ass'y #. After careful consideration and some studying on the matter, I am falling back on my original comment, that in the above example, the barrel lug number is a serial number, for a number of reasons. First and foremost, "assembly numbers" are as a rule, low digit numbers assigned to carry parts through to final serialization. They just don't go to 5 and 6 digit numbers. I think I may have seen a 4 digit ass'y, numbers once or twice but, in general, they are 3 digits. My 59/66A1 is the same thing. Barrel and rear sight one serial and the rest of the gun another. (See pics)
For another thing, IF the number stamped on the barrel lug IS an ass'y #, where's the barrel's serial #?? The barrel is a serialized part. Note too, the number on the rear sight matches that on the barrel lug. On Yugoslav rifles, the rear sight is a serialized part.
Last but not least, is my nearly 20 years of owning and researching Yugoslav rifles.

Btw, those various numbers with a bunch of zeros in them are just part numbers for ordering replacement pieces.

So there you go. Look at what I've said and see if that doesn't ring true with you. If not, we'll agree to disagree (ok?) until one or the other (or another for that matter) can come up with some acceptable answer & reference(es).
59-66 receiver ser #.jpg
59-66A1 receiver ser #
59-66 gas tube ser #.jpg
Serial # on 59/66A1 gas tube (note ass'y #s on root flat)
59-66 ser # on bbl.jpg
Serial # on 59/66A1 bbl- different from receiver-other serial #
59-66 ser # on rear sight 01.JPG
Serial # on 59/66A1 rear sight matches the barrel. The rear sight is a serialized part (on Yugoslav rifles anyway)

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#7 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:29 am

OK, Interesting debate, I got to go with what you said. You have more knowledge & know the Yugo SKS. I definitely do not. ADDED; I found some other data and have added the sources. It seems anything goes with a Yugo SKS- no set format?? Remember readers, nothernug by far is the forum expert on Yugos. I am just a pesky old fart making some observations. I am more into Yugo pistols and Mausers.

So can a Yugo SKS have two serial numbers if it is matching as it left the factory or is it an arsenal rebuild thing like a RC mauser- a mixed bag of parts reassembled to make a rebuilt rifle like new? I am not sure if most Yugo rifles are arsenal rebuilds or complete non re-arsenaled rifles. Are there all matching, NOS Yugo SKS rifles? Do they have any special REBUILT MARKINGs? Possible refurbish stamps on a Yugo SKS ?

Here is an observation. This numbering is a very different practice from markings on a Yugo pistol, at least the M57 Tokarev which I know. On Yugo M57 pistols assembly numbers generally have a letter and 4 digits and are electropenciled on the main components : slide inside upper side, hammer group on the upper guide bar, barrel bottom or on side, the receiver inside the mag well lip base, magazine on the side (not always) The serial number of the M57 is stamped or deeply laser etched (Looks like a stamp) at 4 locations: on the barrel top so it is seen in the ejection port, the slide's side and the receiver' side, and the last 3 digits on the bottom of the mag. It is different from the electro penciled assembly numbers. Some early letter M57s have the 00-000 part #s.

Manufacturing practice must be different on rifles or different parts of the rifle factory production lines than found on yugo pistols???
I find it strange that both numbers on an SKS are considered a serial number? I have no idea what is fact or common practice. I got to go with with your experience. Your rifle has two serial numbers (69445 and the receiver number 55373). Is it then considered a mismatch arsenal rebuild? Do Yugo SKS rifles have Refurbishing marks like a Russiaan SKS ? Is this possible that there are numerous numbers (both stamped or electropenciled) considered serial numbers on SKSs because they have miss matched parts. Are serial numbers electro penciled on an SKS? It seems so. More interesting information is in a post I found. There can be a mix of stamped & electro penciled numbers. :arrow: Apparently they may be serial numbers, rather than assembly numbers. There is conflicting info. in the different forum sources.

Apparently, on the Yugo SKS that is made up of mixed parts/not matching one can have both stamped and electro penciled serial numbers. I can go with that. Who knows maybe that is considered matching to have two serial numbers?
Is your rifle considered matching with the two different numbers ?
Here is some supporting evidence that apparently SKS serial numbers are also electro penciled, something I did not know. Maybe the SKS does not use assembly numbers, rather they use electro penciled serial numbers for assembly, but it is odd that the #s can be different from the main stamped numbers found on the receiver, barrel, and the stock??? Certainly, they do not have two serial numbers on new built factory rifles. Or did they? Evidence from this lower link indicates some Yugo SKS rifles have an electro penciled serial number on the receiver, but only a stamped serial number on the stock.
Yugo SKS's are odd creatures.
Does anyone know of a SKS Yugo reference book that might have some information??

Evidence in your support.
Here is an interesting point:

Resident Turd Herder
http://yugosks.net

Yugo SKS serial number locations **big pics** M59 added
« on: January 09, 2006, 07:37:34 PM »
The Yugoslavian M59/66 rifle will usually have the serial number marked in eight locations. The first six are visible with the rifle fully assembled:
Left side of the receiver. (Note this is the only place the letter prefix will be found)
Left side of stock neat butt pad
Back of the top cover
Top (or left side) of bolt carrier
Bottom of trigger guard
Left side of magazine
The last two locations are not visible unless the rifle is disassembled
Left side of bolt
Bottom of gas tube near the front handguard hanger

To learn more about the Yugo SKS rifles visit my web page: http://users.cableaz.com/~mjbvrb/ (THIS IS DEAD )
source http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=8241.0

I assume on a Yugo SKS the main serial number reported during a background search/purchase is the one on the left side of the receiver??? (655373on your specimen- not 69445. You have two serial numbers (69445 and the receiver number 55373). Is that common on a Yugo SKS? It seems there is a mixed lot of numbers that exist on an individual specimen. So what then constitutes a matching Yugo SKS --all matching numbers (stamped and/or electro penciled) in all eight locations as described in the above link? If they are not all the same set of numbers, the the SKS is a miss matched rifle? I wonder how strict the serial numbering was for a rifle- did they put the same serial number at all eight locations. Was it a hit and miss thing? What is an all matching Yugo SKS, and did they use assembly numbers or just serial numbers? You rifle apparently has two serial numbers (69445 and the receiver number 55373) is that a common practice on Yugo SKS rifles? I have no idea. Like I said I am not an SKS guy so I do not even know about the primary reference books on SKS rifles.

My question is what constitutes a matching SKS number wise? Are serial numbers located at mostly the eight locations? Is this commonly observed. Or do most Yugo SKS rifle exhibit missing serial numbers and only have a few correctly placed serial numbers at the eight locations? Did they have assembly numbers on SKS rifles? And you are correct, why such long assembly numbers :?: - that is a lot of time to number each of the main parts with such big numbers as assembly numbers. :doh: :doh: :think: :think: :snooty: Why are two different numbers found on SKS rifles. Is it because it's a miss match, or is it because it's just an arsenal rebuild where part serial numbers were not important. The factory worker just picked a used part out of a bucket to rebuild an SKS , hence two or more numbers are observed on SKS rifles? Something like arsenal rebuilt Mosin Nagant Rifles? But unlike Mosins, no attempt to force match by rewriting the new serial number on some parts.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:21 pm

I wonder what the Yugoslavians consider the primary serial number; the one on the barrel or the one on the receiver? I thought the barrel number is primary in Europe, while the receiver number is primary in the US. Maybe the true serial number for a rifle is the barrel number and does it match the stock number on Yugo SKS rifles ? I do not Know. I would think on a matching Yugo SKS the receiver, stock, bolt, top cover, bottom of trigger strap/guard, and barrel would have the identical serial number? Is this a fact?

It seems the receiver is primary:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=81.0

you got to love photo bucket and their BS this may be a similar chart. i am unable to view the chart in the above link, but the watermark is clear :snooty: :snooty: :roll:
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 12.32.21 PM.png
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Someone needs to write something like this information on the Russian SKS for the Yugo SKS. Russian SKS info:
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=17575

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Here is another odd situation with an Yugo SKS in this old post:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=63778.0
the short version from the above source:
I looked at the receiver, bolt, carrier, trigger guard and magazine. Yep, it all matched. Well, tonight I completely disassembled it to give it a good cleaning and I noticed that the barrel's number doesn't match the rest of the rifle. The barrel has a 4 digit number on the under side, whereas the rest of the rifle has a 50000 serial number. It doesn't look like the serial number would fit in the space where it is marked, the four numbers span the entire barrel. What I'm wondering is whether or not this rifle is indeed numbers matching.
Ans
usually when most people say matching numbers it is the serial number on bolt, stock, receiver cover, trigger guard, and 10 rd mag on a yugo, a lot dont have " serial Numbers on the receivers" like a chi-com or russian as they were made in different part plants and assembled a lot of times in another part of the country, also a lot were taken a part and then put back together when imported into usa.
Ans
The barrel number is often electropenciled into the other components which will also have an etched or stamped number matching the receiver serial number

This is often thought of as an assembly number- and may have been used in manufacture or refurb before the serial number was put on the weapon

The barrel number will be completely different than the serial number

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Here is another odd situation with a Yugo SKS

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=75814.
from the above source:
Number question on M59/66A1?
« on: August 20, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Besides the lasered C.A.I. importers serial number, there are three other numbers on this what looks to be an unissued Yugo (but I don't know how to be certain on that observation).

First, there is a number stamped under the barrel that appears nowhere else that I can see.
Second, there are crisply stamped matching (not the dot laser as on the CAI number) numbers on:
gas cylinder tube
receiver cover
magazine
bolt carrier
bolt
trigger guard
butt stock
Third, in the same locations as mentioned above, there are matching (but different from the stamped) electro penciled numbers. This electro penciled number was also written in pencil on the stock on the trigger safety notch.

Can anyone explain the significance of these two series of matching numbers?
Ans
The electropenciled number should match the number stamped into the underside of the barrel near the lug end and seems to be used as an "assembly number", the serial number being assigned later

If it doesn't possibly the barrel was changed but all other original parts kept together? Sounds unlikely but possible

All the ones I've had with electropenciled numbers have had the EP number match the barrel
Ans
Sounds unusual- Normally the electropencil numbers will match the barrel number (which is normally 3 to 5 digits) and the serial number will be found on all the major parts (with letter prefix on the receiver and just the digits elsewhere)

Barrel number is usually always very different from the serial number

How does the barrel look as far as internal and external condition? possibly rebarreled or just mis marked or a different barrel used than originally selected when the rifle was first built or was being rebuilt

No way to tell for sure, but if the other parts are marked with a matching serial number it should be the way it last left the factory or workshop
reply from Op about the first comment/sample rifle
Well Pflug, I guess it is unusual. The barrel (5 digits) number misses the EP numbers (also 5 digits) by 14 places. Close but no cigar. This is a CA legal Yugo with the GL replaced with a muzzle brake. The barrel, in fact the entire rifle including the stock, looks to be in pristine condition. All the serial numbers match on all the parts (6 digits) and the EP numbers on all the parts match . The only odd ball is the stamped barrel number.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#12 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Here is a post showing pictures of the part numbers Yugo SKS rifles:
Another interesting post with lots of photos of part #s:
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=4378.0

note M57 early model part numbers also shown at the end ....
They also used and still use assembly numbers on the M57 civilian models.
Possibly who ever or even a new guy who was in charge of weapon production in Yugoslavia must have started this system. But, it seems to have started with the M57 Tokarev.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#13 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:23 pm

Yugo M59/66a1's They are all in consecutive order,
Here is a crate of new Yugo rifles, but photobucket BS blurred the photos. On these, if you click on the photo and wait about 30 seconds you can see them clearly. Another interesting post: https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3392.0

Here are some screen shots of the numbering on one example: note stamped serial number ( 318481) and also present is an electro written different serial or assembly number (31677), and part numbers (5-00 001) on the same example (first rifle). Why? Note 31677 is stamped on the barrel flat. Is it another serial number or a rebuild recording /assembly number or what ever you want to call it. Why two sets of numbers stamped & electro written, some on the same piece? Who knows? On the M57 Yugo pistol, it is considered an assembly number. Would Yugo factory production methods differ on rifles and pistols?
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 8.24.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 8.24.16 PM.png
Also I see a stamped serial number on the trigger guard, top cover, the magazine bolt top, bolt carrier, stock and receiver, but not on the barrel. The barrel has a second stamped number (31677) that matches the electro written numbers on the same parts that have the serial number (318481). No 318481 on the barrel. So some Yugo barrels have serial numbers that match the receiver and others do not. Strange. Maybe there is a factory serial number than a later finished firearm serial number after a SKS passes final inspection. Hence, two serial numbers?????? And why not a STAMPED final serial number on the barrel (318481). These Yugo SKS rifles seem to have great variation in markings. At least the examples in the crate seem to be factory unissued.
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 8.23.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 8.25.17 PM.png
Note, the main Yugo factory recognized serial number is (STAMPED# 318481) and the crate contains 318481 to 318490 rifles. Here are the factory books or tags that came with the crate. No mention of the electro written numbers and note some pieces are marked with both numbers on the same piece like it might be an assembly number. It has to be some sort of assembly number or initial secondary serial# or method of marking prices that are fitted together prior to the stamping of a serial number on a completed rifle. All conjecture on my part. This example is very similar to Richard W's SKS. I have no idea what is the norm. Where is a retired Yugoslavian factory worker when you need one to shed some light on their marking systems. :doh: :doh: :roll:
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 8.38.17 PM.png
In any event, it is pretty cool to own a crate full and have enough cash to buy one-- a treasure.
so this topic has been beat to death :confusion-scratchheadblue: :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :confusion-shrug: :confusion-shrug: :confusion-helpsos:

Here is a video from Classic showing these Yugo SKS rifles in the matching crates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8v_KcekB-A

nothernug
United States of America

#14 Post by nothernug » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:47 pm

Ok. I get the message. You want facts, not unfounded opinions. Not at all unreasonable. Gimme some time to track down my sources and I'll see what I can come up with.

Don't be surprised if I come back changed of mind. I took down my two M59s. They are marked differently from the 59/66 and would seem to bear out your theory.
P1130518.JPG
Rec "serial numbers"
P1130505.JPG
"Assembly numbers"?

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#15 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:20 pm

You are the expert, maybe the M59 and the M56/66 are marked differently?

Return to “Yugoslavian Rifles”