Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

The Model 1924b Yugoslavian Mauser rifle

OldRifles
United States of America

The Model 1924b Yugoslavian Mauser rifle

#1 Post by OldRifles » Thu May 14, 2020 8:22 pm

I was asked to make a post on this sub-variant of Yugoslav Mausers and realized that the background to these can spider-web off into many other directions, so bear with me...

Following the cessation of hostilities in WWI and the enforcement of the terms of the Treaty of Versailles (primarily arms reductions and limitations) in 1919, there was a large influx of available small arms and crew-served weapons on the international market. Newly independent and break-away countries like Poland, Finland, and the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes began to search for arms to equip their new armies and safeguard their independence. Germany was the best equipped country placed under the onerous terms of the treaty, and found itself in a position of having to liquidate stocks of arms. As such, the primary rifle, the Gewehr 98, became widely available worldwide.

While already a 'Mauser nation,' the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (and the succeeding Kingdom of Yugoslavia) set about standardizing their rifle stores on the Model 1924 pattern starting in the very late 1920's. Mausers of widely varying types and even Model 1895 Mannlichers were shortened and updated to 7.92X57mm chambering and equipped with appropriate front and rear sight assemblies to accommodate the exterior ballistics of the newly adopted cartridge. The Gewehr 98s acquired went through the same process and were designated as 'Model 1924b' rifles. They used original Gewehr 98 stocks, barrel bands, trigger guards, floor plates and butt plates, and were stamped with new serial numbers that were originally matched on the right side of the receiver, the top of the bolt flat and the left side of the butt stock. Older German serial numbers and inspection stamps were left intact, including on the barrel bands and lower metal parts. These joined the growing stocks of original domestic production rifles and other converted types.

The top example (non-captured) in the photo of two rifles matches the pattern seen in serial numbering on other M1924b rifles. The three main components have the same number, while other parts retain their original WWI German numbers and stamps:
Attachments
zHeqKftySdiIFL0%tSaCxg.jpg
wdLflpxORGeFeXLTwWqggg.jpg
6zredF5+Q3SQ3VjgqSkD2w.jpg
ZRjkE5RVT9eUilrI5pq%0w.jpg
%j7F7mjESeyi9fQhDbmtrQ.jpg
Last edited by OldRifles on Thu May 14, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldRifles
United States of America

Re: The Model 1924b Yugoslavian Mauser rifle

#2 Post by OldRifles » Thu May 14, 2020 8:25 pm

The original stamps on the butt stock and bolt were retained where they did not interfere with the application of new ones-
Attachments
fNsOMpdwSe6zcv4peL+qFQ.jpg
HH14C324RJ+N%Yd4U37jSg.jpg

OldRifles
United States of America

#3 Post by OldRifles » Thu May 14, 2020 8:33 pm

Like all arms in the country at the time of the April 1941 invasion, the Model 1924b rifles were seized by German forces and integrated into the depot and supply system as Beutewaffen, or captured arms. I summarized this process in Post #1 of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4072

My German captured/modified example is the lower of the two rifles shown above, and has an original Yugoslav sling. Following the typical indicators of German captured and modified rifles, this one has a blued bolt, matching numbered smaller components and a modified magazine follower. Note how a combination of stamped and acid etched numbers were used, depending on the part and availability of surface.
Attachments
Ya7azGygQ7icx7LLFempWg.jpg
fx%tq0V2T6OmIAnO0HVwmg.jpg
p681+ywjSoylom3Fxxv4aQ.jpg
DEglOZ0BQ%yD3StGABt%7Q.jpg
GL6E9QnfRSKB7RTxMtbIGw.jpg
Last edited by OldRifles on Thu May 14, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldRifles
United States of America

#4 Post by OldRifles » Thu May 14, 2020 8:35 pm

More photos of German numbered parts. The Germans also numbered the butt plate to match, but failing light kept me from being able to get a decent photo of it.
Attachments
COHou+s4TPS7+TyM2+vXsg.jpg
2baxLooRS2uALIK7Zpwo8w.jpg
4%ma7Y9mQT2XsJrV%2ZJag.jpg
pE1QukoaTxaEf9p1nOz5lw.jpg
m3eA3W4OSrOKDIE24dJ+%Q.jpg
Last edited by OldRifles on Thu May 14, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldRifles
United States of America

#5 Post by OldRifles » Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Surviving, pre-war Yugoslav slings are rare, so I was thrilled when I was able to get this rifle and the sling together. They're very unlike most other military slings, using a small steel keeper (instead of a button or tension buckle) and a sewn leather slider.
Attachments
zTjZVa9RQDiIi3Q7Oz5LcA.jpg
z4Fj7+QwQxisYeO0+jls1Q.jpg
DvRIVkERTmiCsZnhnzgkQg.jpg
yTI%btuKRpK7HQAGityDHA.jpg
+qvxo7P+QQOrbAM+p7jnrA.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Thu May 14, 2020 11:56 pm

Thank You
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Yugoslavian Rifles”