Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

OWS "sporter" M48

jardows
United States of America

OWS "sporter" M48

#1 Post by jardows » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Anyone buy one of the "sporter" M48's from Old Western Scrounger? I was thinking about picking one up, but wanted to see if anyone had bought one and could give some impressions. They say "dark bore" but that could mean a lot of different things!
https://www.ows-ammo.com/original-yugos ... er-grade-1

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

Re: OWS "sporter" M48

#2 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:10 am

Are you trying to get me in trouble?
I really don't need another project right now.
But if I do I will post a review. :)
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:50 am

:confusion-confused: :confusion-confused:
$200 for the rifle + shipping + FFL transfer fee---thats like maybe $20 + $50-70

An intact M48 stripped, complete w/handguard stock is around $100-135+ lets say $20-30 shipping
Missing metal parts from different sources with priority shipping on each part at $7 then the item can add up??? Who knows another $20-50 bucks

Or, if you are lucky, a complete stock with all metal except receiver at around $135-165 and about the same for shipping...
Me thinkist :?: :?: :think: Well, it might be better to find an intact M48 or M48A at $400 at some gun show or pawn/gun shop. Stocks and parts are getting real expensive, and postage is high, and now eBay charges tax like most other places.... It is just not worth the effort to restore. And at todays prices only a fool would buy an intact military rifle to turn into a sporter. It's Easier to buy a new rifle at a store with a new barrel and correct headspace.

Now if you want a cheep hunting rifle in 8mm that you can leave in the farm truck or hunting cabin, then go for it. No need to restore it. Most chopped military hunting sporters in WI are around $150-300 at gun shows, depending on what was done to them, caliber, tapped for a scope, bent bolt, and how beat or well done they are. The true, gunsmith's works of art cost much more. Most poor boy sporters are not worth the value even for parts. Just nice shooters you can leave at a cottage and if its gone, no big deal, it was junk to start with.
Is the goal to restore or just a fun shooter for hunting or barn rifle?
I would call, and ask what they have and express concerns about what you might want/expect, Matching bolt and good bore? I got ammo a long time ago from them. Back then they were always good on the phone. They always were a good company for ammo. Maybe they can even send some pictures of the rifle they think might fit your expectations. There seems to be a lot of variety on the racks.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#4 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:46 am

I did the math, for a friend. :)
I was more interested in the mod 98s. Stocks while not any cheaper are more available.
A death in the family will have things, moneywise, tight for the foreseeable future.
But when things are good again I want another Yugoslavian m48, or 24/47 etc. But I want a nice one and will go to Todd at FFF.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

Return to “Yugoslavian Rifles”