Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Need help with Yugoslav K98 with 1.TRZ on the receiver

Southerngunner
United States of America

Need help with Yugoslav K98 with 1.TRZ on the receiver

#1 Post by Southerngunner » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:33 pm

I recently found this Mauser K-98 rifle and need some info about it. I have read many forum posts about the 1.TRZ marking only being found on the buttstock of Yugoslavian reworked Mauser rifles. Well, here I have one marked 1.TRZ on the left side of the receiver. The receiver has been scrubbed of all the German markings. The barrel looks to be a Yugoslav replacement and the stock has 1TR over a serial number. Please look at the pictures and give me your best guess
Attachments
20190730_153635.jpg
20190730_151724_resized.jpg
20190730_151747_resized.jpg
20190730_151813_resized.jpg
20190730_151430_resized.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Need help with Yugoslav K98 with 1.TRZ on the receiver

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:42 pm

A true odd ball and the font is the same as my stock stamps on my harder to find K98k Yugos. See :
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1911

Are there any German K98k markings on any of the parts? The "Mod 98" clearly indicates the gun started out as a German K.98k. Do all the serial # match on the small parts or is it a mixed bag? Is there a mix of milled and stamped parts? Any electro written marked parts? Look closely at the top of the bolt. The blue looks more like an Russian RC blue than a Yugo blue? Early Yugo refurbished rifles have an original finish, German blue lacking the "/48" on the left side rail. Is that a little Russian rebuild, RC "X" on the side of the receiver? Can we have a close up photo of that serial number with what appears to be an "X" stamp to its upper left ? If I remember correctly the Yugos have a wood handguard that surrounds the rear sight, whereas the K98k's handguard stops at the front of the sight. What does your hand guard look like? Personally, it is Odd that the Yugo crest was not applied. It does not appear to be an early K98k that was just checked for service/function and put back into use. It was rebuilt and has a nice even re blue, although it's a very thick, black-like Russian re blue????. Is that true? Most likely that rifle was never fired? Look at the bolt and rails. We need more detailed photo documentation of that great rifle. Very nice find. Odd it is not stamped 98/ 48? Nothernug states:
The "Mod.98/48" rifles were Yugoslav reworked German standard length action rifles that were designated as "M98/48" by them from the beginning. However they did not at first modify the siderail stamp. From 1950 on, the "/48" was added to the siderail marking. Some were simply stamped behind the original German stamping or the siderail might have been scrubbed and the whole new designation stamped new. added{M98/48}
This designation has caused considerable confusion along the way and has been misused by many sellers (and one big one in particular!) to bilk the unwary and uneducated buyer of Mausers.

The "M48" series rifles were the 'intermediate length" action rifles they began manufacturing in 1950.
source: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... they-worth

Must be early, but I have not seen any with such a deep thick, black-blue like an RC color or a total scrubs - lacking Yugo crest on a K98k? Does this rifle have an import mark and where is it located? Please more pictures of all the details & parts. Measure the distance between the screws. A K98k standard length action has 7 7/8" between the trigger guard screw holes, other Yugo models have and an intermediate length action that has a distance of 7 5/8." what do you have?

I have seen early Yugo rifles with the German year "43" still on the receiver and it was marked on the lower left receiver "TRZ-5". Here is a real nice odd ball byf 42, TRZ-5 early redo. Notice it's still in its German stock and has German markings. What a find and perfect example :clap: Didier states:
Yugoslavian K98k reworks are of course fairly common and inexpensive, compared to "real" German K98k rifles, but this one is a little different from the mass of Preduzece 44 K98k rifles : it was reworked at the TRZ-5 (Hadžići, Bosnia) factory and still bears a majority of its original German Waffenamt stamps. It may be one of the earliest Yugo K98k reworks (pre-1948) and was probably hastily put together at a time when the newly created Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia desperately needed firearms.
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-fir ... rk-718249/
Didiers pictures:
DSC_1164-2.jpg
002.jpg
Basically a German rifle picked up in the field and checked for serviceability and may have had a crest applied or not. I have seen a scrubbed receiver marked with TR 137 at the same spot. This is the first TRZ -1 on the receiver of a German made, K 98k Yugo rebuild I have seen. I wonder what that triangle with the K 8 inside means? It could be a factory completion inspectors mark, but is it one that was used at the Cacak ,TRZ 1 factory? Are there any BK stamps on the parts? I see it has a Yugo butt plate and not the German one. Is it in a Yugo replacement stock? We need lots of additional photos showing the details, please. Do the bands and sight look like this one ??? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 8_B_6m9l5M

I wonder if it is some sort of odd ball BO Yugo?? Some Yugo rebuilds of Gew 98 and K98k rifles were often scrubbed and refinished lacking the yugo crest, national markings called BO (bet oznake). These are unmarked Yugo rifles for export, and they never had a Yugo crest applied. Maybe it's an odd version of a BO. I thought most BO's are M48 series rifles. Who knows??? I am cartainly not an expert. Of late you rarely see Yugo rebuilt K98ks at gun shows. Please, please more picture of all of its parts, markings, and details. Thanks for showing us this jewel, and welcome too the forum. :dance:

Did you see this yugo crest reference? https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... rest-study

For K98k receiver marks on the Yugo k98k, see page 151: bottom in Serbian & Yugoslav Mauser Rifles by Branko Bogdanovic 2005, North Cape Publications
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

nothernug
United States of America

#3 Post by nothernug » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:33 am

I have been collecting these things for 15+ years and this makes only the 2nd or 3rd such I have ever run across. I don't have much time at the moment but I'll check this out later and see if I can run it past Branko (Bogdanovic). Though truth to tell, I think we have really pooled more info on the satellite shops and in some cases he is under government restrictions to share knowledge of some items. I had that problem in researching TRZ.5 at Hadzicki.
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

Southerngunner
United States of America

#4 Post by Southerngunner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Here are some more pictures of the rifle in question. In answer for more info: there are no import markings, matching restamped s/n on trigger guard and floorplate all others mismatched or no s/n's on small parts, 7 7/8" between the trigger guard screws and no stamped or welded parts.
Attachments
20190730_151517_resized.jpg
20190730_151554_resized.jpg
20190730_151620_resized.jpg
20190730_151705_resized.jpg
20190730_151214_resized.jpg

Southerngunner
United States of America

#5 Post by Southerngunner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:03 pm

A few more pics.....
Attachments
20190816_125130_resized(1).jpg
20190730_151451_resized(2).jpg
20190730_151405_resized(2).jpg
20190730_151332_resized(2).jpg
20190730_151303_resized(2).jpg

Southerngunner
United States of America

#6 Post by Southerngunner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:04 pm

And the last of the pics
Attachments
20190816_125243_resized(1).jpg
20190816_125222_resized(1).jpg
20190816_125159_resized(1).jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#7 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Thank you for the extra photo documentation. That is one nice Yugo rebuild :clap: :clap: :clap: One he// of a find, you used up a years worth
of luck on that jewel.
So that mark by the serial number is definitely not an RC "X" . I am not sure what it is? An S prefix like seen on some BO's ???? ?
Are there K98k BO's, I thought most were M48s ??
A true Yugo rebuild of a German K98k.
Truly a fantastic specimen.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Southerngunner
United States of America

#8 Post by Southerngunner » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:42 am

Any ideas on what it might be worth? I need to add it to my collections insurance.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:42 am

I have no idea on value of such an odd stamped rifle. If if I saw one at a gun show I would drop $500 and consider myself lucky. Consider a redone, BS Mitchel m48 Yugo goes around $600, and a common Predzece yugo k98k goes around 400-500 at gun shows. I would venture to say to a person that values the stamp/markings at a good gun auction $800-1000 to a high roller collector. To most it would be considered a run of the mill yugo K98k at $450. You got to find that one Yugo collector with deep pockets and then encounter a possible bidding war in an auction --who knows what it may go for. Prices be crazy on the intact, rare stuff to the right guy; in contrast, the common guy short on cash- retired, or with kids and house payments is not going to buy expensive guns at top buck. If they are lucky they might find that rifle at $400 and maybe get some extra cash from a friend to buy it at a show. My guess it would go at a show walking around with it, for around $500-550. :think: :think: :think: :think:

No way to really price it, unless it is at a Rock Island like auction. It is a luck of the draw, with the right person that loves it, has deep pockets, not a poor working guy-- it's only worth what someone will pay no matter what value you assign it. Some have more cash and would pay any price because they want an item.

I got a k98k collector friend that is a purest, intact bring backs only. A retired lawyer, new truck, new shirts and shoes, and he is not shy when at gun shows; if he sees a K98k bring back code he may not have, it is a war to get it. I have seen him offer twice asking price to the seller even when someone is looking at a rifle at a table, if it's one he really wants. He gets it- money is not a factor. He would consider that Yugo K98k as $100 garbage for a truck gun on the farm.
On the other hand, some one like me or nothernug would consider it a treasure. However, a retired guy with no cash is not going to buy at big bucks.

nothernug
United States of America

#10 Post by nothernug » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:47 pm

That character in front of the serial is a Serbian Latin alphabet "S" with chevron above- "Š". It would be a reference to the purchase order under which this rifle was produced.

(!) NOTE! Among collectors of Yugoslav Mausers, especially post-war or Cold War era, this would be highly prized. It is so rare, I can not begin to establish a price. The 1.TRZ (Tehnicki Remontni Zavod or Technical Repair Facility) stamp is relatively common, not at all unusual, when placed on the butt stock alone as is usually the case. So much so that the general belief is that all they do is stock work.* In all my years of collecting and studying Yugoslav Mausers, this is only the second or third rifle I have seen this shop code stamped into metal. Many even refuse to believe me when I say I have!

* A belief I have never fully entertained but have often parroted until I finally asked about and got an answer just last night. They did all levels of repair work, NOT just stocks! I will have a separate topic on this forum concerning this.
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#11 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:59 pm

This topic was a lot mpre interesting than the header would imply.

Stupid question, could the rifle have been imported then rebarreled with a nos yugo barrel?
That could explain the lack of import markings.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

nothernug
United States of America

#12 Post by nothernug » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:17 am

The numbers stamped into the stock & handguards are the original serial # assigned when they were installed on the first rifles they were put on.
"Stupid question, could the rifle have been imported then rebarreled with a nos yugo barrel? That could explain the lack of import markings."
The only ""Stupid question" is the one you didn't ask. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is any way to answer this question. What was done to a rifle after it leaves organized repair facilities is largely unknowable. Certainly, what you suggest is possible.

I am NO fan of Mitchell's but, not every rifle they sold is "BS." They actually sold quite a few very nice all in original condition rifles. They just charged ridiculously high prices for them... as I found out after receiving my first Yugoslav Mauser, a first model BO.
My rifle had been pretty well cleaned of cosmo but not sanded or any such like. All matching and all stamped correctly including the ubiquitous circled "BK" stamp .
M48bo face R 01.jpg
M48bo face L 02.jpg

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#13 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Believe me there are stupid qiestions. :)
But usually many people were thinking it, but to scared to ask.
Actor Donald Sutherland told a story from his school days, maybe 10-12 at the time. The class visited the cbc studios. The rep asked if they had any questions. So he asked how they got a piano in the room.
She explained they took the legs off. Turned it on its side and moved it in.
The classs laughed at him.
My point is i would bet most of the class probably wondered the same thing. And they were glad they didn't ask it. :D
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

OSUJACK
United States of America

#14 Post by OSUJACK » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello! I too have a Yugo 98 that is a lot like the rifles in the pics above, I’m new to the board so I will post pics soon. But mine has 1.TRZ on the left side of receiver just forward of “Mod 98”, and also on the left side of the stock. All numbered parts match, cupped butt plate, no Yugo crest. Totally scrubbed of most Nazi marks except for some small dirty birds under the rear sight. New barrel it appears, at new for the build. VERY accurate rifle, I have enjoyed shooting it, I found it at a local gun store here in Oklahoma, they didn’t know what it was. I didn’t either really, but I knew it was well built, looked like a nice reworked German and had to have it.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#15 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Yep, please we need pictures of that specimen. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Return to “Yugoslavian Rifles”