Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

K31 Forestock Crack

TXmilsurp
United States of America

K31 Forestock Crack

#1 Post by TXmilsurp » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Ok so the other day I made a post about a K31 I recently picked up which turned out to have a crack in near the forestock and the crack seemed to be stemming from the forward trigger guard screw. So upon further inspection by removing the trigger guard, I found that the crack is actually bigger than what I thought and it actually goes in both directions from the forward trigger guard screw hole. I'll post pictures, but any recommendations on how to fix?? I'm new to surplus rifles and not too keen on making repairs to wooden stocks... Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Also, what it looks like to me and again I'm new to this stuff but none the less what I think happened is that at one point in the rifles' life someone had taken the trigger guard off and when it was put back on that person tightened the hell out of the screw. Just a thought.
Attachments
image1.jpeg

sowbelle
United States of America

Re: K31 Forestock Crack

#2 Post by sowbelle » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Not to worry
A common issue
There are many posts and stickies on this site as to how to repair. It really is not that difficult, so if you have basic skills like sleeping or
walking, you can fix this.
Do a search on this site or google but really, it is very easy and not really expensive.
A trip to your local hardware store and some careful reading and patience and you will have repaired a piece of history.
Others will chime in with loads of links and help.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Did you see my link in the original post?
more info here: https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/fore ... ir.119912/
I try to avoid brass pins. But I am giving you some ideas.

Discussion on glues if you did not like choices that I mentioned that actually work best.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=91353

It is a nasty crack that will need more than glue under the stress a k31 round produces. I would epoxy the crack and dowel the crack, re drill the screw hole through the lateral dowel. Use a nice hard wood dowel, not pine. All repairs can be done from the inside. Candyman is ill and I see all his pictures seem to have vanished. Even the repaired stickies are missing pictures. Do a search because my 2003 Mac does not open most references. Look at that old candyman post I provided that still has pictures. I may add more links if I can find any that remain intact.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

slowbob2
United States of America

#4 Post by slowbob2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:59 pm

He is right on , glue will not fix that if you are going to fire the rifle . Firing it with the action screws loose caused that crack , a lot of people do that . You will have to go in from the side with a screw in front and behind the action screw hole . Put Glue in the crack , then use the screws to pull it together . Countersink for the heads . Plug those hole with a round piece of wood . Sand or cut to flush and finish to match .

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Also on the ParallaxBill's Curio & Relic and Military Surplus Firearms Forums a guy called cabinetman had a bunch of key posts, but they seem to be gone since the photo bucket pay to play removed all the pictures. i cound not find the old stickes & reference posts by Cabinetman. Maybe with a newer computer you can find the old links. I got old print outs on paper for 2002-20012. Both forum guys were artists at stock repairs and had great references, but most were destroyed by the lost photos.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:45 am

Here you go this should give you the idea, just that it the other side of a stock. Principles are the same. Pictures are intact, but this only opens on a newer computer.

SEE :arrow: :arrow: https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/t ... ep.295364/

You already have this: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =61&t=1229

Old post with some links lots of info http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =61&t=2152

Return to “Swiss Rifles”