Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

k31 Overpay or a Steal?

TXmilsurp
United States of America

k31 Overpay or a Steal?

#1 Post by TXmilsurp » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:13 pm

Hello all, new to forums and I had a question! Recently I've gotten into the world or collection military surplus rifles and my first buy was a 1939 Swiss K31. I instantly fell in love with it, the stock is in great condition and the bluing on the bore is fairly good as well (Coming from and amateurs view at least). and it also came with the soldier tag and a box of original, unopened GP11 ammo. However upon later inspection I found a crack in the walnut stock about 1.5" in length coming off where the magazine sits on the forestock. The guy I bought it from was an older guy who was a Vietnam war veteran and he was asking $650 for it but I ended up picking it up for $550 and he threw in the box of GP11. Now in my eyes (Again just an amateurs view), I believe even with the crack in the stock I paid a pretty reasonable price for it. I'll leave some pictures below of the rifle and the crack, but despite the one crack I think it is gorgeous, the stock has a nice dark rustic look to it and again the bore as well as the receiver, bolt and barreling on the rifle are all in pretty good shape. But I'll let you guys decide if I overpaid.
Attachments
IMG_7820.jpg
IMG_7815.jpg
IMG_7814.jpg
IMG_7813.jpg
IMG_7812.jpg

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

Re: k31 Overpay or a Steal?

#2 Post by Ghoulardi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:56 pm

welcome to the board :)

I wouldn't call it a "steal", you paid a very reasonable price for one, typically they go for 600-650
crack can easily be fixed with some wood glue and a clamp, to keep it from further cracking.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

shoot4fun
United States of America

#3 Post by shoot4fun » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Love the K31s!
Mine didn't have a troop tag, but it is a looker and a shooter!
Yours looks nice! Gotta stabilize/repair that crack, then get shooting.

vandle
Australia

#4 Post by vandle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Not sure what price range K31s are going in the states but you have a nice example.
The crack shouldn't be too hard to repair. There are alot of posts on this forum about stock repairs
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Well, they were $59 at Aim and $79 on Black Friday at Dunhams back around 2005. But they seem to go for crazy prices say around $550-600 at WI gun shows at todays prices. But the serial numbers should match the bolt and rifle. You can get the date of your rifle. MAKE SURE the mag, bolt and rifle serial number matches. see:
https://k31.ch/en/docs/k31-serial-numbe ... ing-dates/

You indicate it is a 1939 year :1939 15, 300 produced in that year serial number range is 583701-599000

Then look for a sling with the same date stamp 1939 on it for the rifle. Get a nice bayonet. The walnut stock crack should be fixed with a dowel and Devcon 2 ton epoxy so it does not enlarge. Pull the action out of the stock and see what is causing the crack.

Also might be a bad picture, but I am not seeing an intact stock finish for a walnut K31. Here are some examples of close ups (taken off the net ) of a intact finish with less wear and the last stock showing general wear. Your pics might not have the correct light, so they kind of show a scrubbed finish???? I am not sure if that is actually the case. On my mac these two pics are color and shine/ gloss correct for a K31 Walnut patina.
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.12.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.13.21 AM.png

About the crack, most of the restored stickies on stocks are again missing photos; so here is one link that has pics intact and you can get a general idea of how to do the repair. Use only suggested glues. Dowel the crack from the inside so the repair does not show, also force epoxy into the crack and pad' then clamp the stock after the crack is glued and doweled. see http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =61&t=1229.

Source Candyman:
This repair will cover making a wrist repair when the crack starts behind the trigger guard and runs through the wrist. I will show you how to make the repairs without pins or screws and with little to do none of the work showing after the work is done. This is what I call Blind Repair Work.
The repairs will be made with Brownell's Acraglas.
Our Victim will be a 03A3 Walnut stock, I just love working on these old girls.
I like to clean with Denatured Alcohol because, it removes dirt and oil and will dry very quick. But if there is a crack the Alcohol will get into it and not dry as fast and allow you to see the crack.
Here in Photo #1 you can see the crack very good.

In photo #2 the crack is a little harder to see. If the repair is not done on the stock it will continue to crack until the stock comes apart.

First You will need to drill down into the wrist so that you will be able to insert a large dowel to secure it. I used a 3/8 inch wood bit to drill this hole. To get the right depth, lay the bit on the side of the grip and mark it with tape. This will be your stop point when drilling.

Be sure to keep you angle right as you drill and grip the wrist as you drill. If the bit starts to cut too clost to the sides you will feel a hot spot and you will need to stop and check your angle.

Now for the crack. A lot of times you will find that you will be unable to get resin down into the crack or not all the way into the crack. You will need to drill holed into the crack. This will allow you to get resin into the crack. The depth of the holes will need to be a little deeper then the crack. You can pick up extra long drill bits from Harber Fright, they don't cost much. As you can see I drilled 3 holes into the crack. This will help get more resin into the crack. Now fill the holes with Denatured Alcohol to remove any oil that may be in the area. Allow the stock to dry before you move on with the repair.

Pick out some dowels that are a little smaller then the holes you drilled. When I drill large holes I like to wrap the dowel with fiberglass cloth. This will give you a stronger repair.

Now is time to mask off the areas that you dont want ant over run resin to get on. You can just use paste wax on the stock but be sure not to get the wax too close to the cracks. you can use clay to fill the rear action screw hole but if you drilled through the hole you will have to fill the hole and redrill.
Fill the holes with resin and do your best to flex the stock to work resin into the cracks. Then insert your Dowels and clamp everything up tight.

After about two hours you can remove the clamps and chech out your handy work.

Use a dremel tool with a milling bit to clean up the repairs. Be careful and don't go wild, just take your time, this is the easy part.

Now just allow the Acragls to cure for 24 hours before you clean with Denatured Alcohol and apply any type of finish.
And as always I hope that this helps you with your repairs. If you have any questions, just post them.
So do not use Gorilla glue. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: Best is brownells Acraglass; next is Devcon 2 ton epoxy this brand: https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tool ... gJ2TfD_BwE
or down on the list is; Titebond 3 ultimate wood glue- but it does not like oil soaked wood-dry non oily is OK actually great for old furniture. This stuff as last resort: https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/wood- ... gJ6P_D_BwE

As for cost ??? Well, no sling with a correct matching year, I assume the serial numbers match, stock altered?? No bayonet? And consider, I am old, cheep, got no more fun money due to health problems, & I like top grade specimens---- I would have offered $300 and paid $400-425. But most common K31s are at least $500-600 at WI shows. Much more if all the goodies are intact. The rifle is a top grade shooter. Back in the day, I was after them by their date--but they were generally priced at $79-129. Cheeper by the dozen. So at todays price, I figured you paid a fair price if the stock finish is intact & serial numbers match- the repair is easy, and if done correct, will never be seen. You generally do not see too many K31s at shows. Those that have them, like me, consider it a rifle one holds onto. I love the K31. I would take a walnut over beech any day. Now, Walnuts generally go a wee bit more.... :shifty:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#6 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:30 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 pm
Well, they were $59 at Aim and $79 on Black Friday at Dunhams back around 2005. But they seem to go for crazy prices say around $550-600 at WI gun shows at todays prices.

the key word is WERE since they haven't been imported for a very long time, what is here is here, and a lot of folks, like me :), don't want to sell theirs. so as demand increases and availability is low, prices rise. simple economics. and human nature as what it is, no one is going to be a fool for selling them for a few bucks over what they originally paid, just for the buyer to think, "hey, I can get a small fortunate if I resell it.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Return to “Swiss Rifles”