Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Reloading for the K31

samsplacci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: Reloading for the K31

#31 Post by samsplacci » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm

I was thinking the same thing Prof. I don't neck size for the K31, I FL resize mine, however everyone's divided on annealing.

Andre-Richard
Belgium

#32 Post by Andre-Richard » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:27 am

I've tried annealing but gave up considering the extra burden vs. availability of quality brass (PPU in most calibres). Partial/neck sizing gives me good case life. Even .300 Win Mag cases last for more than 10 loadings. After the second split neck, I'll dump the batch (after decades of picking them up, I'm lucky to be "rich" in 1x fired brass of assorted calibres).

professrh
United States of America

#33 Post by professrh » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:52 am

I've been reloading for about six years, for several different calibers. I've never annealed brass, but I have a bunch of cases that have been fired six or seven times. They're in the back of the drawer . . . for now.

I do often neck size, but stopped doing so for the Swiss rifles after reading on the SwissRiflesdotcom forums that the weaker camming action of the straight-pull bolt makes neck sizing problematical in the long run (cases loaded at full power tend to get stuck in the chamber--eventually). I've had no such trouble myself, but I'm apt to err on the side of caution, in general.

--Prof

Andre-Richard
Belgium

#34 Post by Andre-Richard » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:42 am

To avoid confusion, neck sizing demands a special sizing die, sizing the neck but leaving the case body untouched. These dies are normally used in precision/competition/bench rest rifles chambered in dito calibres. After a certain amount of neck sizing, bolt closing may become harder. Then comes the time to use the body die (witch normally comes along with the neck sizing die) to "kiss" the case shoulder and lightly sets it back to ease bolt closing. Personally, I use Redding Competition dies (neck, body, micrometer seating dies) for my .308 Win and .222 Rem target rifles. All other hunting/sporting calibres are partial sized. To do so, one uses a regular FL sizing die screwed down gradually, with chambering tests in between, until the bolt closes with just a bit of "feel", herewith creating +/- zero headspace between case and chamber. This tailor made sizing does wonders in terms of accuracy and extended case life. Same as told above, expect to FL size occasionally, when bolt closing gets harder. It really works, e.g. partial sizing belted magnum cases sets headspaces on the shoulder (same as a standard beltless case), and no longer on the belt (which cannot be trusted in terms of accuracy/repeatibility considering varying dimensions among lots and manufacturers). As a result, I got 15 loadings out of .300 Win Mag cases before retirement (an experiment I do not endorse, BTW). A still better proof of extended case life thanks to NS life is found with some bench resters using one single case (reloaded after each shot) to shoot a complete match...

Return to “Swiss Rifles”