Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

A Friend in need is a Friend in deed!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

A Friend in need is a Friend in deed!

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:58 pm

A good friend of mine and one of my club members owns a very nice 1975 Lincoln Town Car that needed some TLC. These old battleships depended upon a vacuum system from hell. Just about every thing that needed to open/close or make the car run fast was run by vacuum. Hundreds of feet of hose went all over the place.
Out here in the desert the cars do not rust. But if it is rubber,it rots.
I volunteered to look at the " Tirpizt" to see if I could get it running correctly. The big old 460 V-8 runs well,just not smoothly.
After three long days I replaced the offending rotted vacuum lines, a severe vacuum leak at the carburetor, freed up the vacuum advance on the distributor, cruse control and got the head lights to Open/Close the "eyelids"
I also found several electrical problems in the brake lights and electric windows.
Three days later the car was working well.
My friend is from East Germany. As soon as he could leave the Communist country he did. All his childhood he dreamed of owning a huge American car.
He came to America and did everything right. He studied American history so well and for so long he ended up earning his PHD in American History! He became an American citizen a few years back and I had the honor of standing up for him.
He is living his dream now.
He came to pick up his car today and offered to pay me for my time and effort repairing his car. Him being a friend I do not like to charge for my repairs. He insisted. you don't argue with a German born person.
He presented me with a very nice Swiss K-11 Carbine for my troubles and some cash.
He had been shooting it last month and I had mentioned in passing that I did not have a Swiss carbine in my collection.
I do now.
The carbine is in nice shape. Perfect bore and chamber ( test fired in bullet trap today). All serial numbers match as one would expect and the carbine was given to the soldier who had it issued to him.
There is a troop tag under the butt-plate. With our friend Gussian passing away a few years ago I know of no one who can decipher the Troop Tag. I would like to see if he is still alive.
I was able with the help of Gussian find two owners of Swiss rifles in the past. If anyone here can translate the troop tag I would appreciate it.
Here's a few photos. I have covered part of the serial numbers.
K1.jpg
K2.jpg
K3.jpg
K4.jpg
K11A.jpg
K11B2.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

professrh
United States of America

Re: AFriend in need is a Friend in deed!

#2 Post by professrh » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Congrats on adding a K31 to the collection. And what a great story behind the acquisition. Perhaps you should think about changing the title of your thread to Friends in need, emphasizing the plural.

Regarding your question, have you tried posting this info over at SRDCdotcom? There's a recent thread in which someone gets help with a question similar to yours: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theswis ... ml#p107303

Hope you're able to get some answers!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: A Friend in need is a Friend in deed!

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 am

I have the article on how to De-code the Troop Tap, what I need is how to find if the soldier is still alive?
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: A Friend in need is a Friend in deed!

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 am

I took the K-11 to thee range today for some load test. I wanted to see if my hand loads would match the sight set to it's lowest setting,300 meters.
I set a man siluette AR500 target at 200 yards and held at the 6 o'clock on the target. I fired 30 rounds with pulled M-118 175 grain ball bullets over 44 grains of Reloader-15 and I hit the target with every shot.
The trigger is very smooth and brakes at 5 pounds. The bolt action is a little stiff to extract the fired casing compared to my other Swiss rifles/carbines. I will need to research as to why this may be.
I will try the K-11 at 800 yards at the end of the month. I'm sure it will do well.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Swiss Rifles”