http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Just found and joined the site... Picked up a 96 Krag at local gunshow this weekend... had one many years ago that was my favorite rifle... gave it to favorite nephew about 15 years ago...aging eyes are a problem and I found a Redfield 70K "no-drill" aperture sight, but it is missing the longer screw that goes into the cover plate... had no luck trying to match it up at local hardware with sae or metric... does anyone know where I can find the right screw or a replacement that can be cut down?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Themoose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Good luck, seems the screw always gets lost. I used a front band screw from an 03 but had to do some remodeling on it to get it to work, too long and had to remove the threads closest to the crew head. Fortunately I bought several and ruined a few before I got it right. My son in law and I have sporterized Krags and use the same sight, his has target knobs and mine the round hunter knobs. Makes a big difference as my 65 year old eyes don't work so well with open sights anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:39 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

thanks again, Rich.... much appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:52 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Rich,

Perhaps I was looking at the wrong pictures of 03 band screws, but the ones I could find only had threads near the end with the head and screw slot... found some on ebay(I think)... you were talking about the 1903 Springfield? I know that sometimes they don't match the pictures up with the right parts or use stock photos instead of the real thing...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I'm not sure about your rifle but, mine(1898) I found that the band screws from an 1903A, the threads matched but, needs to be shortened a bit. I could email pictures explaining this, if you desire? If so, please PM me an email address to send this?
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hope this works, NOT my work but, I think original poster would allow my plagerism?
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:55 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

S.B.,

Thank you very much for the information. I got the 03 screw, altered it to fit,but now I don't have the sight... when I went to mount it to the rifle found that the sight was not the original... the base was correct, but the remainder was from another sight and too small to fit the Krag without hitting the bolt or reaching the center line of the bore.... so the sight is back in the hands of "Sightman" who is trying to locate the correct parts... but again thank you for the info... I can use the dimensions you provided to compare it to my "eyeball" measured modified screw and rework if needed.

Kindest regards,

TheMoose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:35 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Redfield 102K go on the other side of your receiver? Not the bolt side. You remove the magazine cutoff and the instructions say to cut the outside of this off and reinsert it so cartridges feed correctly. Again, if you'll PM me an email addy I can send more info with pictures that I received from another forum..
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have the right base and did mount it on the left side, using the mag cutoff hole. The sight was not correct as the "L" shaped bar that is graduated and holds the aperture is too small, both in windage and elevation..in other words, someone cobbled the sight from two different ones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

S.B. wrote:
You remove the magazine cutoff and the instructions say to cut the outside of this off and reinsert it so cartridges feed correctly ...

FYI, Nick Stroble's book/bible on old sights says that the trick to installing the Redfield sights was to modify a nail to replace the mag cut-off shaft. This allowed reliable feeding and didn't ruin the original part.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

DaleH wrote:
S.B. wrote:
You remove the magazine cutoff and the instructions say to cut the outside of this off and reinsert it so cartridges feed correctly ...

FYI, Nick Stroble's book/bible on old sights says that the trick to installing the Redfield sights was to modify a nail to replace the mag cut-off shaft. This allowed reliable feeding and didn't ruin the original part.

I just bought a repro(cheap)and cut it off?
Steve