Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M1917 warped stock, etc.

M1903, M1903A3 and M1917.
toothdoc
United States of America

M1917 warped stock, etc.

#1 Post by toothdoc » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:45 pm

Disappointed with accuracy of M1917 compared to Swiss K31. Could use some help/advice. Ser.#20,xxx Rem. receiver with 12/1918 Eddy barrel. Noticed warped stock, with L. side contact between barrel and lower band, gap on R. side. Also shallow bore roughness, although sharp edges to rifling. Not sure about better factory loads, either. Smaller group with Rem.125 gr. low recoil than Win. 150 gr. pwr. pt. Questions: Warped stock make any difference? Add shim or bedding? Factory ammo suggestions? Not interested in barrel swap. It's a great piece of history as is. Best to get over it and shoot targets with Swiss and stalk left over pumpkins with M1917? Really like this old gun. Thanks for any help!

m47dragon
United States of America

Re: M1917 warped stock, etc.

#2 Post by m47dragon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:50 pm

I’ve read that some believe the original barrels were closer to the bore diameter for the British .303. Might be worthwhile to slug it and consider reloading.

toothdoc
United States of America

#3 Post by toothdoc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 am

Fair enough. Started with comparing bullet seating at muzzle between .30-06 Remington 700 and the M1917 with both Rem. and Win. cartridges. Looked like about 1/2-1mm deeper seating on 1917. Will post findings after determining actual diameter. Thank you for quick and informed response.

toothdoc
United States of America

#4 Post by toothdoc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:35 pm

The diameter of the Eddystone is indeed greater than a Rem.700. The 700 measured .304. The Eddy is .306-7. Problem is, it's possible to measure groove to groove with the 700, but grooves are opposite lands in the Eddystone. Not sure exactly the depth of the groove, but the diameter difference is there. May be time to learn a new skill: loading my own. Have photo of the 2 "slugs" of the different bores. (dental impression material) Will post as soon as I figure out how.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#5 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:29 pm

I have read they like a heavier bullet, 180 grain to 200.
I can't confirm this first hand. But enough guys here have said it from experience.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

toothdoc
United States of America

#6 Post by toothdoc » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:34 pm

I've read that, too. However, the original cartridge used a 150. Go figure. As for the 180, after 12 rounds this 69 yr. old shoulder is done. Might help to add the weight of a bayonet, which also changes the point of aim! (see Ferris) For all the geeks out there, this is from Ferris's "United States Rifle Model of 1917", comparing the U.S.1917 to the 1914 Enfield: "The American version is much the same but the bore and groove dimensions were changed to suit the bullet diameter of 0.3086 inch. ...and the grooves made 0.005 inch deep instead of 0.0058. ...a somewhat tighter bore than was used in the Springfield. It was adopted after careful tests indicated it gave the best results for that form of rifling with the bullet already in use. Subsequent tests have shown that the Model 1917 barrels out wear the Springfield barrels." Also, "The ammunition manufacturers had a lot of parameters to concern them, and there was no ammunition that was perfect for every gun." Just got the book. Lots of amazing things to get lost in, both technically and historically. Thanks guys. Have no idea where this goes form here, but appreciate the interest!

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#7 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:11 am

Hey doc, about adding weight.
When I was shooting high power matches I'd get bruised up during rapid fire. Dumbass me would get excited and slip up.
I was shooting my M1. I added twenty-seven .58 caliber musket balls. Basicly all that would fit.
It eliminated my bruising problem,
I would recommend getting a plastic tube and fill it with lead or steel shot. Sealing the ends.
While the bullets worked, they left lead residue inside the stock.
I took them out after each match to lighten it up while cleaning, or moving it around my rooms. I only out it back the night before,
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

boltactionbill
United States of America

#8 Post by boltactionbill » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 am

The warped stock will definitely have an affect on accuracy. From what I have read and put into practical use is there should be no contact to the barrel except at the muzzle. The barrel should be free floated forward of the chamber all the way to the front barrel band. The only contact should be directly under the centerline of the bore in the front band area.

I used shims made from a junk Savage No4 forend. Very old and stable walnut. You want to make it so the barrel band is snug but not so tight it has to be hammered off. There was a gauge used that measured the upward pressure in pounds on the barrel when these were built but all that has been lost to time.

The result of this made my 12/18 built unissued M1917 change from shooting beyond MOA with fliers often to shooting 1/2 MOA consistently all with the same hand load.

The same process used on my more worn P14 made the rifle change from shooting 2+ MOA also with fliers to a contestant MOA shooter. The P14 stock was considerably drier and shrunk so it required a greater amount of shimming. This result was also accomplished with the same hand load.

Here are 2 pics the P14 still has extra shim sticking out before I trimmed it. The 1917 is shown as how it's being used.
Attachments
20190820_091017.jpg
20190820_091124.jpg

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by Calfed » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:22 pm

^^^ This is the conventional wisdom for the M1917 and 1903...upward pressure on the barrel at the tip of the stock, not touching anywhere else.

One other thing...might try flat base bullets instead of boat tails. I've heard that can help with the 1917.

Return to “United States Rifles”