Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

1917 Eddystone barrel

M1903, M1903A3 and M1917.
milboltnut
United States of America

1917 Eddystone barrel

#1 Post by milboltnut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 am

Hey All,
I have an Eddystone with a JA barrel. It shoots pretty good considering, but a guy I know was there with me, knew what to look for and didn't say anything about the JA. I took this rifle for the stock over other ones with the E barrel. Was wondering if anyone knew who might have a E barrel. Been looking high and low but only find repro's. E Bay had them and Liberty Tree has them from time time...anywhere else I can find them?

boltactionbill
United States of America

Re: 1917 Eddystone barrel

#2 Post by boltactionbill » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 pm

If your rifle has a JA (Johnson Automatic) barrel that means it went thru a refurb at some point prior to or during WWII. Consider yourself lucky because the original barrel was considered unfit for service during it's refurb. If the original was still on there it would shoot terrible. This combination is considered proper as it was done by the US Military. Maybe not quite as valuable as an all original rifle but not discounted by much. Mostly any used original "Eddystone" barrel you will find for sale is trashed shot-out and probably rusted. Any pulled barrel will be damaged by the process as the M1917 barrels were put in very tight. It just wouldn't be worth the time or the money to do it. Not to mention the fact that the barrels are serial numbered to the receiver under the wood. Now you would have a worthless unmatched rifle. Odds are the JA barrel has been forced matched to the receiver and will have a matching number on it. I would leave it alone just shoot and enjoy it. If it matters that much to you go look for an all original matching Winchester or Remington M1917. These 2 are rarer and more valuable than an Eddystone. Be prepared however to spend close to $1000 because that is what all originals go for. This is just my opinion, of course the rifle is yours to do with as you please. - Bill

Smokey
United States of America

#3 Post by Smokey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:23 pm

I agree. You probably have an accurate, functional rifle in an official US military configuration. Keep it as it, shoot it and enjoy it. You have a fine rifle in it's own right. Knowing how US rifles were refurbished, it may only have a few of it's original parts anyway.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Enfield Shooter
United States of America

#4 Post by Enfield Shooter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 pm

My Eddystone has a Johnson Automatic barrel on it as well. Typical of US arms that have been through a refurb. It's a real mixmaster of Eddystone, Remington and Winchester parts. Having said all of that, it is very accurate at 100 yards for me and in the hands of a true marksman, will do even better.
David
"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

milboltnut
United States of America

#5 Post by milboltnut » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 pm

thanks for the info guys !

F-250 Operator
United States of America

#6 Post by F-250 Operator » Wed May 02, 2018 7:45 pm

I don't know, I have an M-1917 with an original barrel and the bore isn't the prettiest but it shoots very well. I've hunted with it for a very long time now and never missed a deer or other critters such as groundhogs and coyotes. It shreds patches but it shoots well. It's a sporter, but that is how I got it on a trade. I do question my other Arsenal rework M-1917 with the JA barrel, the rifling looks very shallow, is this normal?

Return to “United States Rifles”