Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M1903 Unertl Range day

M1903, M1903A3 and M1917.
onefouralpha
United States of America

M1903 Unertl Range day

#1 Post by onefouralpha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:20 am

I was able to get out early this afternoon, before we got about 5 inches of snow and knock the dust off of the M1903. 1918 SA receiver, 1942 4-groove SA rebarrel. Honestly very surprising accuracy from this rifle with hand-loads, much better than I ever expected. 0.6-0.8 MOA is common (first round always flies a little high, but after that very consistent).

Today I was mostly curious to see how HXP shot through this rifle. Not terrible, but not great, either. I shot about the same size group with my M1 Garand shooting the HXP right after taking these pictures. Next time the weather cooperates I'll have to see how the M1917 fairs.

eboggs
United States of America

Re: M1903 Unertl Range day

#2 Post by eboggs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:32 am

Who did the work? Any more pictures of the rifle?

onefouralpha
United States of America

#3 Post by onefouralpha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:51 am

Chuck Moline ("ChuckinDenver" on some boards, not sure if he's on this one) did the mounts. I did all of the stock/handgaurd work. A previous owner put the rifle in a new CMP C stock set, but the stock was very dry and not fitted well. Anyway, I shot it before I took it apart, but when I did take it apart a large piece of the stock behind the recoil lug had broken and shifted back. So this rifle has a full epoxy glass bed now as a repair. Numerous other areas were binding or just not fitted correctly, so I fixed everything to be stress free and correct. Considering the stock wasn't original, it was a rebarreled parts rifle, etc... I figured it was a good candidate for a clone. I work in a machine shop and did the handguard cut there in the CNC mill. I was tempted to do the drill/tap myself, but didn't have any fixturing for such work and really didn't want to screw it up.

Here are a couple pictures from right after it got put together. I have since removed the spring to keep from damaging the optic. Chuck got the barrel mount a little favoring the left, and you can see the tube sits accordingly in the rear ring. Still tons of adjustment room, though. The receiver base is good, which is the important part. The front base can be corrected if/when I ever rebarrel the rifle.

slowbob2
United States of America

#4 Post by slowbob2 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:54 pm

Where are the 0.6 inch groups ? I see one that is a little under 2 inches and a really big about 16 shot 4 inch group .

onefouralpha
United States of America

#5 Post by onefouralpha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:27 pm

First round is pushing oil or whatever phenomena causes clean-bore POI change-- it's always high, then the other 4 rounds (hand loads) are in about 3/4" group.

The other is 20 shots of surplus ammo, 18 of which land within 3".

Here's 5 rounds at 420yd on steel.

Return to “United States Rifles”