Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M1917 Stock Finish

M1903, M1903A3 and M1917.
Locofritz
United States of America

M1917 Stock Finish

#1 Post by Locofritz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 am

I picked up a 1917 that was put away after it was re-arsenaled after WW2.
Three days of removing the storage grease from the action and extremely dark stock a beautiful walnut stock emerged. Not sure of the finish. Would linseed oil be correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernest T
United States of America

Re: M1917 Stock Finish

#2 Post by Ernest T » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:16 pm

I've always heard that raw linseed oil was the initial finish used on these rifles. Later (WW2 era) I think I remember reading that they switched to Tung oil.

I've always liked the raw linseed oil finish the best, but it is also the hardest to apply in that it takes the longest to do properly. I think I would do BLO today. BLO is faster and highlights the grain. You probably don't need to do too much to the stock anyhow unless it is really dry. A couple coats of BLO and you are done.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#3 Post by Hippycrowe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:01 pm

BLO is the best I bought an Fn 49 stock and it was totally black sanded off all the black and it was a gorgeous tiger stripe put some BLO on and it turned out great. I have done it to a 1903 stock too it works great.

Smokey
United States of America

#4 Post by Smokey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm

I usually use raw linseed oil, but it does take longer. It dries slowly, so it soaks deeper into the wood. Apply it twice daily, to the interior as well as the outside of the wood. This can take two to four weeks. Eventually it stops soaking in and you're largely done. Wipe off the excess and let it sit a while longer until it hardens at the surface. The benefit to this long process is the wood is almost completely impregnated. It won't change with the weather and seasons.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Locofritz
United States of America

#5 Post by Locofritz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Thanks, I think I will replicate the original finish with raw linseed oil. I used this finish on a Savage Enfield awhile back with spectacular results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “United States Rifles”