Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

ex drill rifle from sarco

M1903, M1903A3 and M1917.
schmedly
United States of America

ex drill rifle from sarco

#1 Post by schmedly » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 pm

several years ago Ibought a reactivated former drill rifle from Sarco . I purchased the M1903A3 model due to the sight arangement . The rifle I recieved is a fair example of the 03A3 . it was built by Remington in early 1943 , the stock I received is a Springfield Armory , sound but lacking in carrictor . My only problem with the rifle was that the bolt was very stiff when cocking the action . I inspected the bolt and decovered that where the bolt ingages the cocking peace was rough and causeing the bolt to bind . I cured the problem by polishing the bolt surface where it ingaged the cocking peace with rubbing compound . now the action is nice and smooth ! over time I have treated the stock with many coats of boiled linseed oil , the treatment protets and seals the wood plus gives the stock a nice patina . I also added a repoduction M1907 sling . The sling has been treated with neats foot oil to soften and preserve the leather , it also gets rid of the new stock look ! Here are some pics so you can see the progression from when received to current .
Attachments
springfield3.jpg
springfield5.jpg
gun stuff.jpg
018.JPG
016.JPG

Markeb2800
United States of America

Re: ex drill rifle from sarco

#2 Post by Markeb2800 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:57 am

Nice work. Sarco still offers 1903a3's in their add, but it doesn't say if they were drill rifles. Anyone know?

schmedly
United States of America

#3 Post by schmedly » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:50 am

schmedly here , The M1903A3 rifles featured in the Sarco add are reactivated drill rifles with an NOS barrell . My rifle came with a 1943 dated remington barrell . A lot of people look down at the ex drill rifles and they will never be collectors , but if you want a solid shooter and piece of history they work ! None of my weapons are " safe queens " and all go to the range . I would never buy a weapon and not shoot it due to its collecter statis . schmedly as always , Head Up , Eyes Out And ( First Point Of Contact ) In The Grass . First pic is what it looked like when received , second is after many coats of blo and a reproduction sling .
Attachments
016.JPG
springfield4.jpg

Markeb2800
United States of America

#4 Post by Markeb2800 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks for the info. My 03a3 has been drilled and tapped for after market rear sights, but now has the correct sight. Other than that, it is a beauty. Doesn't bother me a bit. I love shooting it.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Calfed » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Nice Job, Schmedly. definite improvement in condition from when you received it.

How does it shoot?

schmedly
United States of America

#6 Post by schmedly » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:11 pm

schmedly here , My 1903A3 shoots like the classic it is ! It is very accurate and with my old eyes the sights do a very good job . I have embarrested several people at the range with my old rifles and iron sights . I have made them and there high dollar rifles look bad by hitting better than there " scoped preciousion rifles " I have several rifles that i dearly love but the 03 seems to always get packed out on any range trip . schmedly , as always ,Head Up , Eyes Out And ( First Point Of Contact ) In The Grass .

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Calfed » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:26 pm

schmedly wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:11 pm
schmedly here , My 1903A3 shoots like the classic it is ! It is very accurate and with my old eyes the sights do a very good job . I have embarrested several people at the range with my old rifles and iron sights . I have made them and there high dollar rifles look bad by hitting better than there " scoped preciousion rifles " I have several rifles that i dearly love but the 03 seems to always get packed out on any range trip . schmedly , as always ,Head Up , Eyes Out And ( First Point Of Contact ) In The Grass .
You gotta love that...

apachedawg
United States of America

#8 Post by apachedawg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:57 pm

I have a reactivated drill rifle too. Great shooter.

Ed Wagner
United States of America

#9 Post by Ed Wagner » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:18 am

Nikce rifel

Return to “United States Rifles”