http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hi, looking at a local t99. Seller claims its a matching capture. Here are some pics. Thanks!

Attachments:
pix870032252.jpg
pix870032252.jpg [ 43.15 KiB | Viewed 511 times ]
pix147184561.jpg
pix147184561.jpg [ 55.71 KiB | Viewed 511 times ]
pix198759119.jpg
pix198759119.jpg [ 58.96 KiB | Viewed 511 times ]
pix123957776.jpg
pix123957776.jpg [ 45.35 KiB | Viewed 511 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:16 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Looks like the correct type of stock for a " Substitute Standard" rifle which, that appears to be.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

That white paint looks to fresh, maybe just the photo?? If it is that new, I smell a rat. The photos are dark so I really can not tell. Here is a link to a rifle with white paint- most show yellowing or rubbing and have a worn look to the markings. That rifle looks too fresh, like painted yesterday. see
http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=41852

Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:32 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Seller claims he bought rifle from an individual who's dad supposedly brought it back from the war. There is a mark on the stock behind the trigger guard and it matches "the 25th series kokura on the receiver."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:36 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Can you get micro setting on a actual camera-- better photos of the white paint and wood treatment? Is the Receiver mark ground or X out? I can not see the markings on the rifle or series mark in the photo? Also a photo of the butt plate is it wood or metal? Stock cartouche mark photo would be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:51 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

He says they appear old with small cracks. It's $400 with the bayonet.

Attachments:
paint 001.JPG
paint 001.JPG [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 499 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:57 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I can see the old paint under the crackled newer paint. I am by far no expert, but have not seen repainted by Japanese stocks that look like that. We will have to wait till a big time collector of Arisakas chime in. there are a few on this site. My 2 cents its a contemporary repaint, maybe done in the 1950-70s At $400 :o I would want one with wear to the paint. Lets see what the arisaka big time collectors say about that painted. I have seen refinished stocks with repainted letters and slings with repainted marks. I would use some caution eat that price. WI is a wash with Arisakas, maybe in your area they are hard to find? So for that price be sure the internal bolt parts match and not just the bolt body, Is the mum intact? What does the bore look like and what series is it/ there is no sling-- most bring backs have a sling, cleaning rod and some times a dust cover that matches. You got a 75 bayonet is it in a metal scabbard or wood one?

Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I agree that it looks touched up but am no expert either. I was thinking that it would be worth $400 with that bayonet. Its local so I won't have to deal with shipping/ffl transfers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

If it's close you can drive 2-3 hours and take a look. It best have a all matching bolt, cleaning rod, and no stock cracks. There is a Milwaukee Puchie gun show in South Milwaukee next week that always has Japanese rifles.

Are you getting papers from the vet, maybe a letter about how he got the rifle and some of its history, some uniform of his and a photo of the vet, or better yet, a photo of him holding the rifle?? At that price you can get a type 99 matching bolt rifle easy at most gun shows unless you got lots of extras: vet items that go with the rifle. I would not be in a hurry, not sure how far you are from Milwaukee or Fond du Lac. In Jan the huge Wi, Fond du Lac show will be at the fair grounds-- always lots of Arisakas due to the death of 3 big time collectors. Do some research. The stock appears somewhat dark, but from that little section appears original, does the stock stamp match the maker. If you are close to Milwaukee there is an antique shop in West Bend and he has a ton of military stuff, mostly US air crops and nazi stuff. No firearms, but well worth the drive. If you want his phone number I can get it to you. Currently no Japanese stuff. PM me if you need his phone number. So I would do research so you know a intact stock when you see it. Know a reproduction cleaning rod from an original, and at that price the mum best be intact and the rifle has an original rod. :doh: :hand: :think: :think: You can have any Jap bayonet you want at $75-125 at most shows. Trick is mint, and a rare maker. That is a lot of cash, be sure to use it, to get a winner. You got a life time to stumble onto a jewel-- you are not 66. Us old guys are dropping dead all the time and then a 100 or so rifles come onto the market at some small show. You just got to be in the right place at the time the wife dumps the goodies :shhh: :shifty:
finds at past Fon du Lac gun shows-- largest in WI
viewtopic.php?f=175&t=141075&hilit=+fond+du+lac
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142326&hilit=+fond+du+lac
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=146870&hilit=+fond+du+lac
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=116593&hilit=+fond+du+lac

That should give you an idea of the show :shock:

Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I agree that the paint is most likely touched up but from the pics it seems like they are painted into what was stamped into the stock. Most likely the GI who brought this home did some touching up maybe in the 50s. I've seen this from time to time with German helmets and other items that were painted but had been period touched up by the GIs so that they looked better. As said a bayonet will run you around $50 to $100 depending on maker and condition at the low end you would have $350 in just the rifle. Also not every bring back came home with a sling, cleaning rod, dust cover, etc. I've bought many arisakas from vets and their families and a lot of them were missing cleaning rods while none of them had a sling or dust cover. I would take the seller's story with a grain of salt as you're buying the rifle and bayonet, not the story. Unless he's selling bring back paperwork from the vet or has some hard evidence that he in fact bought it from the vet's family then just disregard his story and look at what is there. Mid to late war rifles are somewhat notorious for their darker almost reddish stock color in some instances and I have several transitional examples and a late war example with stocks of a similar shade though better pics of the stock in question under natural light would be better. Also if you do go check this rifle out make 100% sure that the bolt is matching to the rifle and that the stock hasn't been touched up anywhere else aside from the painted part and make sure the mum is completely untouched (not a single scratch, mark, or other form of defacing). $350 for an all matching gun with a full mum is a decent price in my area as they don't pop up everyday but if the mum is defaced in some manner then this rifle would be around $250-$275 if the bolt matches and has an untouched stock. Also haggle as much as you can on the price of you decide to go purchase this rifle. Every dollar counts in this hobby and could be the difference between getting a deal or paying full retail. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and if you get it please post pics up here for all of us to see :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:46 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

That is a kind of rough rifle for $400 . The stock has also been " touched up " along with the paint . T-99 rifle stocks will not interchange between makers , and there a even small differences over time with the same makers . Unless you get a stock from the same maker and close to the serial number range in the same series , it will stand out to anyone who knows . Then you have a messed with rifle that you spent money on to make worth less than it is now . Unless the bayonet turns out to be a really rare maker .