Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

1917 eddystone question

M1903, M1903A3 and M1917.
SMG6702
United States of America

1917 eddystone question

#1 Post by SMG6702 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi all I have a question about a sporterized 1917 my local place has one with a cut stock the metal looks not to be altered the barrel has a 4. 18 behind the front sight with the flaming bomb also has the flaming bomb on receiver and barrel where it meets receiver looks to be a Remington bolt other parts have E my question is they are asking 325 I know finding a stock is hard just wondering if it's worth it and try to find a stock I know these are getting hard to find also the rifling looks good bore is nice and shiny seems to be in the 2 million range from what I can remember when I looked thanks in advance

echo1
United States of America

Re: 1917 eddystone question

#2 Post by echo1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:21 am

Hi New Guy,

If it's restorable, that's a plus. The front sight has to come off to put GI hardware back. Stock sets are around but spendy, as is the metal bits you'll need. The resto stuff drives up the total, close or the same as if you bought a complete rifle, but you saved one. That's the real satisfaction for me. I went the other way. I got a complete M1917 furniture & hardware set, in with a mess of estate sale stuff. When I saw the furniture, I knew a rifle was out there for it, and I'd be able to afford me some US iron. I paid $300 a couple years ago for a nicely done sport job, with no mechanical "improvements". done to it. Mine is an Eddystone too, the furniture is Winchester. I have yet to install it in the GI clothing, but it's waiting in the wings. See if you can beat them down on the price, if not, and you don't need money that much, I wouldn't let get away. PAX

SMG6702
United States of America

#3 Post by SMG6702 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks for the info is it normal for the bolt to be different not an eddystone I assume these all went through some type of rebuild at sometime

SMG6702
United States of America

#4 Post by SMG6702 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:45 pm

I was back at the shop today and looked over the markings again the serial number is 261xxx range which put it in February of 18. And the barrel was marked 4. 18 so would that be the original matching ? Also there are British markings on the barrel where it meets the receiver A crown with BNP under it and 18 tons and some other stuff stamped all over it not sure what that means any help on that would be great thanks again

les1234
United States of America

#5 Post by les1234 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:31 pm

The British markings may mean it was one sent to Britain early in WWII when they were short of weapons. If it still had it's original stock there would probably be a red paint stripe around the forend to indicate it was a 30/06 and not .303 caliber.

SMG6702
United States of America

#6 Post by SMG6702 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Does it make it anymore collectable with the British markings I was going to offer 275 would that be worth it for a sporterized one I don't know what the value of these are

echo1
United States of America

#7 Post by echo1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:16 pm

SMG6702 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:00 pm
Does it make it anymore collectable with the British markings I was going to offer 275 would that be worth it for a sporterized one I don't know what the value of these are
les1234 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:31 pm
The British markings may mean it was one sent to Britain early in WWII when they were short of weapons. If it still had it's original stock there would probably be a red paint stripe around the forend to indicate it was a 30/06 and not .303 caliber.

It can't be an early rifle sent to the Brits, if it was cranked out in April 1918. Regardless, the correct issue furniture, would likely be near impossible to locate. The best you can hope for is a decent salvage, and if the intent is to roll it over, you should disclose that it was a SAVE. It wouldn't make a difference if you ask a fair price, even if a little above market, just stay firm. If they'd take 275, I'd go for it. $300-$400 should get the items that you need, maybe, hopefully.

With the sport job on mine, it had an S&K base, with an early Weatherby 3X9X42, that the stock was custom built around, to fit someone tall, with long arms. Cheek riser, 2" butt extension, pistol wrist. PAX

72 usmc
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:38 am

Make sure the barrel was not cut by a wee bit -say 1/2inch and the sight put back on. That happen to a sporter I found for $125. Got a stock at $250 and a dog beat stock at that, then found out the barrel was cut. The action was too short in the wood :roll: :doh: :lol: :lol: Consider at todays prices-- Metal parts are expensive, a Kerr sling another $100. The sight removal is a dog to deal with. And stocks are real hard to find 10 years later, today there appears to be less parts-- a lack of parts and intact stocks to be found at shows. Heck, a Mauser K98 stock can go $400, Arisaka stocks that are intact $200. Metal with the same finish and patina is hard to find in person at shows.

So if you are into a fun project and want to restore & learn as you go--- well go for it. You will have twice the value in the rifle when done. It would be easier to find an intact M1917, a former mix master CMP rifle at around $500- 600 or a intact one at $700-900. Be sure to headspace any 1917 or P14 because more than a few will fail a FIELD gauge. There are complete mixmasters that do not pass a field gauge at every show. Heck, the last Fond Du Lac WI big gun show must have had 7 nice M1917s, but the Winchester in a Winchester stock was $850. There was only 1, P14 that had the Weeden modifications and original stock at $500- I grabbed that- It was a common Eddystone, but the P14s are not seen at most shows in WI. Last week I saw a dog Remington P14 and the nut wanted $675. Mine is a jewel in comparison to the one at fridays show. So you just got to look around and know your area. Do you need a project? It's like an old 1950s car - restoration is nice, but you will never get the money you put into it, back out. It is a labor of love and pride in historical restoration. I would say most farm boy sporters are $150. Now a nice gun shop, gun smith sporter in a nice bishop stock, now that's more $$$ like $350-400 for a nice hunting rifle.
So, do you need a nice hunting rifle in 30-06- check its headspace, a project/money pit for a shooter, or an intact shooter, or a $900-1000 safe Queen? I only buy sporters for the bolts and few parts. Think about this. Recently, there are many old guys selling the goodies from their collection due to being at deaths door or the family is dumping the old guys stuff because he's already dead. There are some good buys to be had. You just have to beat the low ball dealer wolves to the bone. The guys in the 70s are getting sick and good stuff will appear at shows in the next 10 years. All good things come to those that wait--- and are young :think: :lol: :lol:
Guns show attendance is down , prices way up, and most are not buying. Dealers be crazy.
O, did I say HEADSPACE prior to purchase with a FIELD gauge :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: take the hint, it may save you some cash.

Be sure there is no "DP" --- Drill Purpose, marked parts on the rifle.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “United States Rifles”