http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 pm 

Guys: I am posting this for your information. Graf's would not discuss this recall, or tell me why, Hornady is doing the Sgt..Schultz act; ie: "We know Nothing..."

The reason given does not make sense. (to me!) So you guys can read this and be governed accordingly..

I recommend that the ammo in these batches be returned..

"Graf and Sons is recalling four (4) lots of Item #80490 7.7 Jap 150gr. SP Graf and Sons
(Hornady) Ammo and 1 (1) lot of Item #80500 7.7 Jap 150gr. SST Graf and Sons (Hornady)
Ammo. These lots were shipped between September 2012 and April of 2013.
Item #80490 Lot numbers 3130135, 3122007, 3130876, 3130988.
Item #80500 Lot number 3131081.
Hornady Mfg Company ballisticians have determined that some cartridges from Item #80490 Lot
numbers 3130135, 3122007, 3130876, 3130988, and Item #80500 Lot number 3131081 may
exhibit inconsistent ignition from the large chamber variations in surplus rifles that may lead to a
dangerous situation. Use of this product may result in firearm damage and or personal injury."

Added 05 AUG 3013-This is the reason that the ammo should not be used!

"I really don’t have much more info than what is on the recall- inconsistent ignition. And of course anytime you have ignition problems there are safety concerns.
We alerted Hornady early on when we had reports of powder not burning and clumping. We also sent it to an outside expert who pretty much came to the same, albeit vague conclusion.

Hornady is really just erring on the side of caution but this is going to be very expensive for us and them so I assure you it isn’t something that was done lightly. And we fully appreciate that this is a pain for our customers as well.

I wish we had substitute product because that is really all anybody wants is good ammo that functions as designed but unfortunately I haven’t had any luck coming up with any at this point. If we do come up with a substitute, we will be in contact with everyone that returned it.

We do appreciate your advising customers to return the ammo. Ultimately it is voluntary but we do want to get as much of this back as possible.

I do apologize for not having more detailed information but I’m very confident Hornady is doing the right thing for the right reasons"

Jeff Knowles (Graf and Sons)

If you have any of this ammo, contact Graf's for return and refund instructions. Clumping powder and inconsistent ignition is very dangerous in even the Type 99 action. I recommend the return of this ammo. Do not fire it with this problem!!

Dale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Great, finally find somewhat affordable 7.7 and it gets recalled.
Almost wonder if pulling the bullet , emptying the brass and reloading would be a option. Bullet and primer should be OK ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Garageman wrote:
Great, finally find somewhat affordable 7.7 and it gets recalled.
Almost wonder if pulling the bullet , emptying the brass and reloading would be a option. Bullet and primer should be OK ?

Everything else should be fine except the powder itself. I called awhile back and while they didn't come right out and say it, I think their powder got damp before it got loaded into the cases. Or maybe it has an oily residue of some sort that is causing the clumping and poor ignition. I would pull the bullet and at least check the powder before I shot any of these rounds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:09 pm 

Grafs tells me that Hornady will be loading this cartridge next year, when they finish up this years' run of normal ammo.

Just thought all of the Japanese Rifle Guys here would like this info...

Dale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:12 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I really wish prvi partizan would load this ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Been looking for 7.7 and found a box on my travels last week at the gun shop!! :D when I got back to the hotel I remembered this post and sure enough it was one of the bad lots! #-o
Returned the box to the shop the next morning and they exchanged it for some 8mm mauser. They had no idea there was a recall on this?? Well just a thank you to the forum for notices like this!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:39 pm 

Guys: Hornady's brass is made by PPU, and they have no time line for making this cartridge again, but (Supposedly!) PCI of Hobart IN is making this round again. I have a standing order for this new run, and when it is available, you all will know...

PCI uses their own brass, which is accurate and meets the original specs. I think their main delay was getting more .303 British bullets to use. (7.7mm = .303)

Dale

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Thank You Dale!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:28 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Dale, Do you know if the 7.7 boxed under Hornady's own label is involved, or just the Graf and Sons label?

edit- I dug up my two boxes of Hornady 7.7 150 gr SST. They share the same item number as some of the Graf's (#80500) but from a different lot# mentioned for that item, so hopefully OK!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:58 am 

As far as I know, it is by lot number, without regard to label.....

Dale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

In consistent ignition due to variation in chamber size sounds more like the cases are at the minimum shoulder length and/or the primers are too hard.
When I tried small rifle primers in some .38 special reloads I got inconsistent ignition, including a bullet that shed its half jacket leaving the jacket protuding from the muzzle. Little if any of the charge had burned.
Hard primers combined with loose headspace can result in poor ignition. Many older rifles also have weak mainsprings.

The powder used may also require a hotter primer flash that the weak strikes don't deliver.

Probably a combination of things, not easily forseen.

Many years ago Federal made the first voluntary ammo recall when they found their .303 ammo did not provide enough bump up to the bullet to seal it in an eroded bore.
The ammo was fine in test firing in un eroded bores with major dia within the nominal specs. Unfortunately most Enfields in the U S in those days had loose wartime production bores with a lot of cordite erosion. This resulted in excessive blowby and over heated and stuck blown through bullets and at least one death from a blown out bolt head.