Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

I bought a lemon

M1903, M1903A3 and M1917.
Hippycrowe
United States of America

I bought a lemon

#1 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 am

I bought this Remington 1903a3 on Gun Broker its got a Brand new Usgi stock 2 groove barrel is less than a 1 on the muzzle but it doesn't head space with a no go or a field gauge I had to put in a complaint with Gb I told them all I want is $120 refund to get another barrel and have it put on. Its a really nice rifle I think a moron put a barrel on it with out knowing what they were doing. :doh: Barrel is a 7-44 so I know its a replacment.
Attachments
20170913_080203.jpg

Ozzman
United States of America

Re: I bought a lemon

#2 Post by Ozzman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Dishonest seller.
You can bet he knew this was the issue.

Let us know what happens.
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#3 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 pm

I bought a barrel off ebay for $80 soon as I get it I have it put on

72 usmc
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Lets hope the receiver is not cracked or threads bad. I had a gunsmith take off a barrel and he cut it back and re reamed the barrel to make it headspace and still retain the matching numbers. I got the Berthier free so the $200 for the job was worth it to save the old boy. I always have a FIELD gauge for all rifles I collect or buy so I never buy one that fails the field test. I also gave up on mail/on line buying, I only purchased what I saw in person and could gauge. Some do not even worry about headspace?????? I almost never buy a rifle that fails a military spec FELD headspace gauge unless its too neat to pass on and worth a restoration. But gunsmiths are a skilled lot and like to get paid a fair wage for their work. They can work there machine shop magic,but it costs. :shifty: Hence, most of the time its not worth the effort to buy an out of headspace or sewer pipe bore rifle at todays prices. Lets hope one of the barrels does the job and not cost an arm and a leg. Was that former drill rifle?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#5 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Not a former drill rifle Guys at the shows around here want $1200 for a 1903a3

I took it all apart it looks like the barrel is not turned all the way on. Some one might have only lined up the marks on the receiver and barrel if you look inside were the barrel and receiver meet it looks like there is a tiny gap. You can't see that gap on my Springfield 1903.

When I had my barrel changed on my Springfield the guy had to mill the barrel just a little or the front sight was cantered.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 pm

When you measured it,was it too large or small? Do you reload?
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#7 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Too large I checked with 3 different bolts I do reload

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#8 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 am

replacement barrels had the chambers cut short so that they could be reamed out so it head spaces to the bolt.

that's how all replacement 03 barrels are, it's not a "plug and play" like a AR barrel.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#9 Post by Hippycrowe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 am

Sad thing is he is a FFL dealer I always thought they were not suposed to sell defective products even if they are used. Most dealers I know heasspace all millitary rifles they sell.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#10 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:43 am

Hippycrowe wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 am
Sad thing is he is a FFL dealer I always thought they were not suposed to sell defective products even if they are used.
well, you thought wrong, a 01FFL is a dealers license, they just buy and sell. there is no requirement for them to check a firearm mechanically before selling it, or a requirement to know which end the bullet comes out of for that matter.

ATF does not give a test, as long as your background checks out, you fulfill the requirement for the license and the check clears that is all that is required.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#11 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:15 am

Try this to be sure there is really a dangerous problem. Load up 8 grains of Bullseye or 12 grains of Unique and fill the case with cornmeal. TP Paper wad on top. Fire the "blank". This will "fireform" the case to the chamber and bolt face. Measure/eyeball the fired case next to a resized/new case. Do you see or measure excessive case stretching or incipient case head separation?
I've done this many hundreds of times over the decades and have never has a case fail ( too low pressure), it will also give you proof that the headspacing is way out of spec.
Use military brass if you have it.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Smokey
United States of America

#12 Post by Smokey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Something to think about.
If the barrel is not turned all the way in, (i.e. it's out one full turn) you have that much more of the case head unsupported.
That could result in a case rupture which is a very bad thing with full-powered ammo.

If the barrel is otherwise good, perhaps it needs to be turned in more (with machining as necessary).
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

M14man
United States of America

#13 Post by M14man » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 pm

One in ten threads on the barrel. He could turn the barrel by hand if that was the case. He could estimate the overage by making shims from soda cans and seeing how many could be added to bolt face before the gauge stuck. Then measure the shim(s)

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#14 Post by Hippycrowe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Some one turned the barrel down until the the witness marks were close you can just see the last of the threads on the barrel before it goes into the reciever. If I can find dads fealer gauges I could tell how much is left to go into the receiver

kc8goz
United States of America

#15 Post by kc8goz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Let me know if you want me to look at it. I am around the house for next couple weeks. If you dont have my number anymore contact Nick.
Doug

Return to “United States Rifles”