Need Help/Advice on a 1903 build.

M1903, M1903A3 and M1917.
DixieKen
United States of America

Need Help/Advice on a 1903 build.

#1 Post by DixieKen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Hello everyone,

I was recently at a buddies house and he gave me a Springfield stock that is in pretty good condition. It has the forearm grip, barrel bands and the butt plate. He told me it had been in his parents house since he was a kid, but he never bothered with it.

I always wanted a 1903, just never got around to buying one. Now, I really want to build one on this stock. I figured I would ask on here if anyone knew where I could purchase a complete receiver with bolt, trigger, and barrel, or the parts to build what I need to make it a "shooter". I don't even know if a "drop in" setup is available; but that's kinda what I'm looking for.

I know that since it is an "active receiver" it will have to be sent/purchased through an FFL(unless they are available as a C&R?); but all of my searches have only turned up "complete" rifles. Also, I'm not sure if its a 1903A or 1903A3, or what variant it might be. I really want to turn this into a "shooter"; but need some help/advice finding the parts for the build.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and take care,

Ken

Polock
United States of America

Re: Need Help/Advice on a 1903 build.

#2 Post by Polock » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi Ken, and welcome to the forum---
If u can post pics of the stock, one of the experts here could advise u what type (03 or A3) Springfield would be correct for your stock.
If it were me, I would look for a lightly sporterized rifle to put in the stock to have a representative "shooter". It would be much
cheaper than buying parts and building it yourself, and if u did so, it would still be a mis-matched shooter with no collector value.

One caveat: early, original 03 stocks are valuable! So please post pics of your stock, and any markings/stampings it contains.
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

M14man
United States of America

#3 Post by M14man » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:29 pm

The kits to build are all long gone. Better to buy one like Polock says that is in a sporter stock and work from there.

retread12345678
United States of America

#4 Post by retread12345678 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Best advice is to locate an ' ugly duckling' with an unmarred barrel and receiver Make sure it is for the M 1903 not the o3A3 NO EXPERT

checkmate19
United States of America

#5 Post by checkmate19 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Finding a receiver seems pretty tuff these days , a reasonable priced one anyway. I have a Santa Fe 03A3 with all USGI parts less receiver. I have had my eye out but not ready to pay 300 for one. I think thats sound advice to find a sporter.

Return to “United States Rifles”