Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Vasteras rear sight moving during firing

KneverKnew
United States of America

Vasteras rear sight moving during firing

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:39 am

Lowest setting is 250 meters on my vasteras rear micrometer sight for my 1903 CG short rifle. Just shot both M41's and my hand loads at 100 yards with a just installed +1.5 front sight. M41's made a 4" 5 shot group stringing out vertically starting at POA to 4" low. Yikes! My hand loads ( 140 SMK, 45.7 gr are-22) made a 3.5" group that was centered about 4" low. I was wondering what they hey! I had just shot a 1-3/4" 5 shot group the other day with the M41 using my Ljungman so I know the ammo is good. My hand load was the first in a ladder I am working up to clone the M41's. When I got back to the shooting position I che led the rifle and discovered that the rear sight had drifted up from 250 to the 275 yard mark. The turn dial does seem very loose at these lowest setting. At about 300 it seems to tighten up. Any suggestions on how to tighten up the dial so it remains at lowest 250 yard setting while firing? Was thinking to very slightly bend the two spring arms down ever so slightly. Think that will work or should I try something else?

sheepdawg
United States of America

Re: Vasteras rear sight moving during firing

#2 Post by sheepdawg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:46 pm

The tiny center screw is used to zero the sight. Many won't budge due to rust, crud whatever. It can be pretty fragile so careful but make sure it's working properly and tightened. If your unable to turn it either way it's time to get the penetrating oil out.
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:09 pm

sheepdawg wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:46 pm
The tiny center screw is used to zero the sight. Many won't budge due to rust, crud whatever. It can be pretty fragile so careful but make sure it's working properly and tightened. If your unable to turn it either way it's time to get the penetrating oil out.
I understand that the tiny center screw is used to zero the sight. But, does it actually tighten up the dial so it doesn't turn arbitrarily during firing? I was thinking the two side arm "springs" that ride in the little track ontop of the dial might apply downward force on the dial. If those are bent downward a very small amount, wouldn't they exert slightly more force on top of the dial to prevent it from turning so easily? Just a thought. I am willing to try the least damaging options as possible.

sheepdawg
United States of America

#4 Post by sheepdawg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Well you have to loosen it to zero the sight so tightening it must have something to do with tightening the dial. I have only one m38 with a Vasteras and it functions correctly so this is purely speculation. I learned a long time ago to avoid tiny screws unless absolutely necessary. :doh:
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Return to “Swedish Rifles”