Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Original stock wood color for the Swedes (bolt actions and semi's)

KneverKnew
United States of America

Original stock wood color for the Swedes (bolt actions and semi's)

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm going to try and refinish my Swede, which I already refinished over 25 years ago with some walnut stain and polyurethane clear coat. I actually like the color of the wood, but need to strip the clear coat so I can do a hand rubbed linseed oil finish, trying to get the stock back to as close to an orginal color and finish as possible. I'm using citristrip to remove the urathane which will most likely remove the stain as well. What colors would be more accurate for the Ljungman from the factory? I tend to favor the darker reddish brown colors. Would that be out of the question? The wood looks to be beech wood.

sheepdawg
United States of America

Re: Original stock wood color for the Swedes (bolt actions and semi's)

#2 Post by sheepdawg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:14 pm

No telling how any stain is going to look on beech, it doesn't take stain very well.
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Can someone give me an idea what color you think my stock is stained? I'm pretty sure its beech wood, and I THINK the stain may be Golden Oak, or similar. What say you? Is this particular color completely wrong for Ljungmans? I kinda like it and almost wouldn't mind keeping the color, but hand rubbing it with linseed oil.

bobvz
United States of America

#4 Post by bobvz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Here is a bunch of pics: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... mp=yhs-004

Looks like everything from blonde to nut brown. Take your choice. If you didn't re-finish the inletting or barrel channel look there for original color. A tinted BLO finish seems appropriate. Minwax is a BLO based stain that is compatible.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#5 Post by KneverKnew » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:01 pm

bobvz wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Looks like everything from blonde to nut brown. Take your choice. If you didn't re-finish the inletting or barrel channel look there for original color. A tinted BLO finish seems appropriate. Minwax is a BLO based stain that is compatible.

Are you talking about regular minwax stains? That is what I usually do, maybe two or three coats to get right color. Then once dried I hand rub Raw or boiled Linseed noil to correct finish. Is there a way to tint actual BLO? Maybe RIT powdered pigment dye? Never tried that before.

Andre-Richard
Belgium

#6 Post by Andre-Richard » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:41 am

Here's a pic of my CG 1901 that was arsenal refurbished and received a new beech stock. It should give an idea of the original colour, although, as said above, beech doesn't always react identically to oil, stain.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#7 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:48 am

Very nice rifle and stock. Yes, I've seen that color on the Swede's stocks. Do you think these stocks, which are beech wood, have been simply dipped in Linseed Oil with no other stain coloration, just the natural beech wood color and oil?

sheepdawg
United States of America

#8 Post by sheepdawg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:47 pm

KneverKnew wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:01 pm
bobvz wrote:

Are you talking about regular minwax stains? That is what I usually do, maybe two or three coats to get right color. Then once dried I hand rub Raw or boiled Linseed noil to correct finish. Is there a way to tint actual BLO? Maybe RIT powdered pigment dye? Never tried that before.
BLO can be tinted using 844 industrial colorant or artist's colors in oil, that and gum spirits of turpentine can be combined to make a very good, clean stain. You can use it as a 1st coat. A second stain coat may darken it up but every coat clouds the finish up a bit as well as adds shine so buffing later is important. Finish with a coat of plain BLO cut a tad with turpentine and buff a little later. Remember as BLO oxidizes it darkens and it will oxidize quicker in a dark spot like a safe.

I avoid Minwax products like I avoid free vacations to North Korea. Better quality products, especially stains are easy to find.

Here's another stock as originally done by the Swedes, it was never redone with that blackish brown stain that a lot of beech stocks got during a referb.
1944HuskyM38_zps2d894f5e.jpg
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#9 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:23 pm

sheepdawg wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:47 pm
KneverKnew wrote:
bobvz wrote:

BLO can be tinted using 844 industrial colorant or artist's colors in oil, that and gum spirits of turpentine can be combined to make a very good, clean stain. You can use it as a 1st coat. A second stain coat may darken it up but every coat clouds the finish up a bit as well as adds shine so buffing later is important. Finish with a coat of plain BLO cut a tad with turpentine and buff a little later. Remember as BLO oxidizes it darkens and it will oxidize quicker in a dark spot like a safe.

I avoid Minwax products like I avoid free vacations to North Korea. Better quality products, especially stains are easy to find.

Here's another stock as originally done by the Swedes, it was never redone with that blackish brown stain that a lot of beech stocks got during a referb.

1944HuskyM38_zps2d894f5e.jpg
So this last stock is natural wood with linseed oil coating only? Looks very nice. I'm not much interested in staining my stock dark, but maybe a medium color. Not sure yet, until I get the rest stripped. I've done the handguard. I'll have a better idea how it looks when I rub it down with mineral spirits. That should help determine what it will look like with linseed oil...to start with anyway. I know it will darken over time. Didn't realize it will darken quicker in the dark though.

sheepdawg
United States of America

#10 Post by sheepdawg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Just remember mineral spirits are clear where as BLO has an amber cast.

The stock above also has 73 years of patina.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#11 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:46 pm

understood

bobvz
United States of America

#12 Post by bobvz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:35 pm

KneverKnew wrote:
bobvz wrote:

Yes, Minwax stains or more correctly, sealer stains are nothing more than artist's colors ground in boiled linseed oil with some naptha and mineral spirits added for thinning, penetration and improved drying. Completely compatible with BLO as a tint option. If you don't shake the can the solids stay in the bottom and the tinted oil/ is on top. Thus your work won't get cloudy. Ladle some tinted oil into the BLO until you get something you like and rub it on. You can also just stain the wood with the top layer and then topcoat with BLO. Now beech wood has a nasty habit of becoming patchy in some specimens. This is manifest by blotches of dark stained wood randomly placed all over the wood. The way to avoid this is to partially seal the wood prior to application of the stain. This is called a "spit" coat. For oil based finishes one of the best spit coats is clear or amber shellac thinned 50:50 with methyl/denatured alcohol. Simply brush on. Let dry for a couple of hours and then buff with steel wool or better Scotchbrite. This will scuff the shellac off the high/hard spots and leave more in the porous areas. Then when you flow on the stain you'll get a very even coloration. Also a great method for birch plywood in cabinets. We've all seen those nasty stain jobs on those haven't we?
Last edited by bobvz on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sheepdawg
United States of America

#13 Post by sheepdawg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Called a wash coat around here you can also take 25% wood sealer and 75% mineral spirits to make the same thing. Brush on, let dry, no sanding needed, abrasives and milsurps aren't compatible.

Minwax products still suck. There's a lot of stains out there far clearer.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#14 Post by KneverKnew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:39 pm

I've read that about other stains being better than minwax. I guess I just use what is available locally. Maybe some of the hobby stores might have those others. Please share some name brands I can look for. Thanks.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#15 Post by KneverKnew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:54 pm

On another note, but slightly related, is there a source for an unmolested Ljungman stock and handguard to buy? I wouldn't mind getting my rifle back into a correct military surplus stock. I hate to admit it but I did sand all the nice sharp edges off of mine 25 years ago when I first got it....and didn't know any better. Can a good condition stock even be found and how much would they run?

Return to “Swedish Rifles”