Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Swedish M41 Surplus Ammo, good or bad LOTS?

KneverKnew
United States of America

Swedish M41 Surplus Ammo, good or bad LOTS?

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:54 am

I have some '86 M41 I just shot in my AG42B that grouped very well at 100 yards (5 shots 1-3/4".) I will test the same LOT in my C96/38 to see how it performs.
I also purchased an unopened battle pack from another friend, but there is no LOT number on the outside of the pack that I can find. He said he bought it 20 years ago, and it has been stored in his carport storage room, so the outside of the pack has some mildew on it. I am assuming as long as the pack is not damaged or perforated the ammo boxes inside should still be in good condition?
My friend has a couple rounds left from the previous battle pack he has used over the years. He bought both packs at the same time so should be the same LOT. He is going to check the head stamp of the rounds he has left and let me know what year they are.

My question is, are there years/lots of M41 ammo that have performed better/worse than others?

I read somewhere that certain LOTS of M41 tended to be more acidic than others and therefore tended to cause corrosion if the rifles were not cleaned properly. Is this true? I always was of the opinion that M41 was non-corrosive, even if berdan primed.

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

Re: Swedish M41 Surplus Ammo, good or bad LOTS?

#2 Post by Cattus Borealis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 am

I think you are overthinking it. If I remember correct, the Swedes stopped corrosively priming before 1950. The Norwegians kept corrosive priming. Primers are either corrosive or non-corrosive. I would just clean regularly.

KneverKnew
United States of America

Re: Swedish M41 Surplus Ammo, good or bad LOTS?

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:24 pm

You are right about the non-corrosive primers. I just thought I had read somewhere that they had been having some issues with, I think, '78 (or something) ammo that maybe the powder had a high content of acid. I'm not really sure. Just trying to find out if anyone knows anything about that. Anyway, it is a mute point because my friend just called and said his was also dated '86. In fact, he (the guy I bought the battle pack from) and my other friend I bought a couple boxes from had purchased their battle packs together at the same gun show 20 years ago. So they are all '86 Lots and I have high hopes they will shoot just a good as the group I shot yesterday. Time to pull out the 96 and give it a try. I will also Chrony through both rifles to see the difference.

Return to “Swedish Rifles”