Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Ljungman value?

KneverKnew
United States of America

Ljungman value?

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Simply put, is $650 too much to pay for a Ljungman? A friend is willing to sell mine back to me for that much that I sold to another friend some 20 years ago. Values for these rifles seem to have gone up since then. Just wondering if the price is good for current market pricing?

retread12345678
United States of America

Re: Ljungman value?

#2 Post by retread12345678 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:59 am

NO EXPERT !! 650.00 sounds reasonable for a totally matching, excellent specimen Any accoutrements sweeten the pot Bayonet ,sling,gas
adjustment wrench

KneverKnew
United States of America

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:36 am

I know there are no extras. Condition was very good back when I had it 20 years ago. It's been in safes of two friends since then and seldom used. Don't know the condition of the metal or wood until I see it tomorrow.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#4 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:47 am

What are the typical conditions of the Ljungman barrels as received from import? I'd think they had not seen much service since. What kind of disk marking were to be expected?
I do remember I paid the extra $20 way back then for hand picked. The specimen I got was in very good condition minimum.

dogboysdad
United States of America

#5 Post by dogboysdad » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 am

$650 seems cheap.

dmg4
United States of America

#6 Post by dmg4 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:57 pm

$650 is cheap, and the barrels are almost always in good condition. You can also get NOS barrels from Springfield Sporters. I paid $50 for a like-new barrel from them about 3 years ago.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#7 Post by KneverKnew » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:42 pm

dmg4 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:57 pm
$650 is cheap, and the barrels are almost always in good condition. You can also get NOS barrels from Springfield Sporters. I paid $50 for a like-new barrel from them about 3 years ago.
Thanks for the encouragement. I was starting to think my friend was charging me too much. Most I've seen selling on Gunbroker have been in the $800 range or even higher.

I find the barrel change option very interesting. What is involved changing out the barrels? Tools required, etc...?

retread12345678
United States of America

#8 Post by retread12345678 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:15 pm

You also have the benefit of buying a gun you have owned Peace of mind

bakka9
United States of America

#9 Post by bakka9 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:44 pm

I haven't seen a Ljungman for less than $800 in a long time; if I found one for $650 I would probably pounce on it.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#10 Post by KneverKnew » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:43 pm

I now have my Ljungman in hand again after 25 years absence. There is a bit of surface rust in s small spots on the barrel and around the muzzle cap, and the bore is a bit darker than when I originally had it. The brass buttstock disk confirms my recollection since it is marked bore rating "1". The bore measurement was marked at "5". Not sure how those two numbers relate. Anyway the one other detractor is actually my own fault. Same as I did with my first Swedish Mauser just a year before getting the G42, I had stripped and refinished the stock. I was a nube to surplus rifles and didn't know better. I sanded those pesky crisp edges from the finger groves in the stock and some of the crown markings on the stock are very thin or gone all together. I recently "re-refinished my Mauser stock with walnut stain and linseed oil. I think the G42 will get the same. At least they will look almost original condition. So with this added info what do you think the value of my "old" Ljungman might be now? The little bit of good news is that since it has some surface rust my buddy dropped price down to $600. Plus, since we are good buddies from childhood I can pay $100 a month or whenever. 😁
I will post pictures in the Ljungman section of the forum soon. Maybe I can get a better estimate of the value and if I paid too much. I'm not complaining either way at this point. I got my Ljungman back!

KneverKnew
United States of America

#11 Post by KneverKnew » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:05 pm

I must say, I feel MUCH better after giving the barrel just a very quick cleaning. Looks nice and bright and crisp!!! I guess any darkness down in the barrel might have been carbon left over from it's last shooting. I guess the berdan primed Surplus Swede Ammo is non corrosive? There may have been some slight surface rust powder down in there, but after a very little effort the bore is bright and shiny and looks pretty crisp. All numbered parts match, with the bolt and carrier both having correct SN electro penned on side. I am posting all pictures I took in the Ljungman Style Rifle section of the Military Semi-Auto Rifle forum. Please check out my "new" old rifle pictures and share any knowledge you might have concerning it's condition/ value and any historical info associated with the various markings on the rifle. I took a bunch of detailed pictures. Here is the link to the new picture post...viewtopic.php?f=31&t=780

Return to “Swedish Rifles”