Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Originality of barrel

KneverKnew
United States of America

Originality of barrel

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:56 pm

I have a 1903 CG M96/38 rifle. How can I tell if the barrel on the rifle is the original barrel?

sheepdawg
United States of America

Re: Originality of barrel

#2 Post by sheepdawg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:22 pm

I imagine most 96/38s got rebarreled but there are two ways to make sure. A lettered crown behind the trigger guard means a major repair and the same lettered crown on the barrel means the repair was a new barrel. You can also look at the fonts of the serial numbers stamped on the receiver and the barrel to see if they match.
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks. Will check.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#4 Post by KneverKnew » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Just checked my photos I took while it was apart. Here is the serial on the barrel. So I guess it was rebarreled?

sheepdawg
United States of America

#5 Post by sheepdawg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:47 am

Rebarreled at the Carl Gustaf State Arsenal, Eskiltuna. Nothing wrong with that.
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#6 Post by KneverKnew » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:49 am

Is there any way to determine when the rebarreling took place? There are other numbers on the barrel. The stock disk that came with this rifle had a bore mark of 1. Would these disks ruteenly be changed out at rebarrel? I assume they would have a "0" mark at that time (no mark at all). Also, does anyone know how often the barreled were reevaluated, warranting additional marks over the bore condition numbers?

sheepdawg
United States of America

#7 Post by sheepdawg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Probably rebarreled either at the time of conversion to an m38 which would have been just before WWII or possibly at the time the barrel was threaded in the mid 50s. I'd lean towards the first theory.

Don't know how often the barrels were re evaluated at the arsenals, every unit probably had some folks that made that call. I have a 1922 m96b, all original, that has five arrows, 3 for bore condition, 2 for diameter on the disk. Wouldn't that add up to 4 evaluations? The bore started as new and wound up a 3. That arsenal had some rather thrifty Swedes there, others probably just changed the disks out.

1922 SA M96 Disk.jpg

KneverKnew
United States of America

#8 Post by KneverKnew » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Thank you. Lots of information.

joe7170
United States of America

#9 Post by joe7170 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:13 pm

sheepdawg wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:00 pm
Probably rebarreled either at the time of conversion to an m38 which would have been just before WWII or possibly at the time the barrel was threaded in the mid 50s. I'd lean towards the first theory.

Don't know how often the barrels were re evaluated at the arsenals, every unit probably had some folks that made that call. I have a 1922 m96b, all original, that has five arrows, 3 for bore condition, 2 for diameter on the disk. Wouldn't that add up to 4 evaluations? The bore started as new and wound up a 3. That arsenal had some rather thrifty Swedes there, others probably just changed the disks out.

1922 SA M96 Disk.jpg
Guess they didn't want to replace the disk on that one! :lol:

KneverKnew
United States of America

#10 Post by KneverKnew » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm

My desire at this point is to find a very nice condition "long" M96 with a "1" bore and the ranging plague on the butt stock. That would complete my small collection. Not interested in paying the exorbitant prices of the M94's although I'd love to have one. My latest "sudden" acquisition is an AG42B that actually belonged to me over 25 years ago. Sold it to a friend, who sold it to a friend, who I just happened to have a chance to buy it back from recently. I've made a few posts with pictures about it on this forum recently. Trying to figure out a good "safe" recipe for it, as well as try and build an adjustable gas port for it.

Return to “Swedish Rifles”