http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:28 pm 

I use the RCBS decapping tool and have found no other faster to use. I bough a large amount of Berdan primers when a large company went belly-up.
I, Myself, have not modified any of the cases to use Boxer primers. Many of our members have and had very good luck in doing so.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

WOW thanks for all of that info. I've had a 38 short for awhile now that my grandfather brought back from the war. When I removed it from his hiding place in his home the gun was still loaded. This gun was rode hard and put away wet. My grandfather said he never shot it and it was exactly as he brought it home. Just imagine sending a loaded gun back home that was still loaded. It's an amazing piece of history to me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Entirely new to this forum other than watching. Here are some pictures of a M38 Carcano that I intentionally tried to blow up. I'm aware of their strength, so I rechambered it to 30-06 for two reasons: increased powder capacity and the added attraction of an undersized bore. I started with standard WIN and REM 180 gr cartridges and worked my way up to a full case of 3031 without blowing it up, though it did suffer cracks at the base of the locking lugs . I then ramped up using 4198 and at case capacity, the lugs finally let go and the safety did an Elvis and left the building but the receiver/barrel are still serviceable. The cunnulative set-back is less than .004". They are one tough cookie. This is a tangent from a long-running project of blowing up '93-'96 actions fitted with 8mm barrels. I've made lots of observations and they have lead me to the conclusion that I would prefer to be behind a Carcano during a casehead failure than a '93-'96 anyday. Even accounting for the supposed better gas handling of the Mausers over the Italian.

I have a thread over at 'CastBoolits', called Channeling P.O., Mauser blowup project, in case you're interested. It's gotten rather long but there are some good pics.

Looking into the chamber:

Attachment:
lastcarcchamb (Medium).jpg
lastcarcchamb (Medium).jpg [ 55.13 KiB | Viewed 5069 times ]

Pieces:

Attachment:
carcpeices1 (Medium).jpg
carcpeices1 (Medium).jpg [ 56.87 KiB | Viewed 5069 times ]

Attachment:
carcpeices2 (Medium).jpg
carcpeices2 (Medium).jpg [ 37.12 KiB | Viewed 5069 times ]

The bolt was in battery position in the end. The lugs where where they should be but unattached. The cartridge head is welded, or at least peened, onto the bolt face. The barrel did not swell, nor did the receiver. Of course, all this is done remotely in my shop. The firing is done inside a steel 8"X8" 1/4 wall rec. tube. A pneumatically launched lead slug strikes the firing pin, removing all possibility of something untoward happening with cocking. The firing pin spring is removed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:47 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Mr. copperlake, you have removed all doubt from my mind about the strength of the Carcano action! I had my doubts (apologies to Rapid Rob) that they were that stout,
but your test is the final word--

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 am 

With the State of New Mexico doing test for a law suit, the results were the same as yours. It literally took filling the casing with a high explosive in order to fail the receiver.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:19 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Have you addressed the variable of steel? Most early Carcanos have the steel maker code on the barrel near the date of manufacture. Since some steel is only seen for a short time, the alloys might not be as suitable as others.

The Czech steel from Poldi must be good as it's commonly seen. Other steel will only be found for a short time. Consistent testing with steel from various foundries might lead to new information... assuming the many other variables equate to apples and apples.

I like to delude myself that I'm a die hard collector. Therefore, I will not be blowing up any of my examples. That said, there is a ready supply of sporters for such experiments. Ren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Quote:
Have you addressed the variable of steel? Most early Carcanos have the steel maker code on the barrel near the date of manufacture. Since some steel is only seen for a short time, the alloys might not be as suitable as others.

Ehem, though hashed Carcano's are relatively cheap, my pockets are not that deep and frankly, I don't know how much would be gained. I've done it to two Swede's and two Oviedo's. Same story, I can't test everyone there is, so I draw my own conclusions from my experiences. I'm very aware that I can be wrong. It's just that I prefer my own experience over that of others. IMO, the breeching in the Carcano is far and away better than the early Mausers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:08 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Interesting test

Did the bolt fly out of the receiver? Or did the handle stop it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:06 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

bitrclngr wrote:
Interesting test

Did the bolt fly out of the receiver? Or did the handle stop it?

When I removed the action from the test enclosure, the bolt was in the battery position, meaning it was closed. The firing pin was extended and the safety ear was gone. There is evidence that the bolt may have moved rearward striking the handle on the bridge (which really isn't a bridge) and bounced back into position. I didn't see it so I can't say that it did. The evidence however, is strong:

Attachment:
carccombo (Medium).jpg
carccombo (Medium).jpg [ 32.6 KiB | Viewed 4702 times ]

Notice right side of receiver bridge bent and ding from bolt handle. I cannot say that the ding wasn't there before, but I can say that the bent bridge was not as I have photographic proof.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Here are some pictures of a fired 8x57 cartridge loaded with 38 gr 2400 and a 220 gr Sierra boatail. This load completely undid two Swedish mausers. The Carcano remains completely functional. This was after firing 23, 34, 36, 38 and 40 gr of 2400 in 30-06 with 180 gr bullet (shown alongside). An early style bolt with the extractor mortise in the lug suffered cracks. The newer style bolt is still going strong.

Attachment:
8mmincarc1 (Medium).jpg
8mmincarc1 (Medium).jpg [ 41.45 KiB | Viewed 4550 times ]

Attachment:
8mmincarc2 (Medium).jpg
8mmincarc2 (Medium).jpg [ 49.55 KiB | Viewed 4550 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Wow, that sure proves the strength of the Carcano!

Dave W.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Is there a serial number or date code data base anywhere?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:20 pm 

The records of the Fascist Italian Gov'mt ,the fall of same, the take over by the Germans, the fall once again and the surrender of the Italians, the running by the Allies kind got paper work all messed up and missing,burned,destroyed,etc
I have not seen a real list that included all the models and when and how many were made.
to add insult to injury, the Italians repeated serial numbers many times. The numbers were proceeded by a letter code. So you could have 1234, A1234,B1234,C1234,etc. some numbers have been scrubbed and new numbers issued.
The UN got involved and some new serial numbers were stamped into the wood butt stock. These numbers are not the same as the rifle making you think you have mismatched serial numbers.
Carcano rifles had so little value after WWII that millions of them were used as War Reparations to other lesser Allied countries.
Who knows what was stamped on those rifles,or how many times they changed hands over the years?
There are sites on the WWW that have compiled some serial numbers. If you do a search by the maker of your rifle/carbine you may luck out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hi Rob,
I took the barrel out of the stock and under the barrel next to the receiver there is the number 5. Could the be the year?
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:53 pm 

I'm not sure. A photo would help. We also have some very knowledgeable members who might known for sure.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next