Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Swedish M41B ... Update! It arrived

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Swedish M41B ... Update! It arrived

#1 Post by Calfed » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:09 pm

I went out on a limb this weekend and bid on a Swedish M41B at an online estate auction. The auction pics were few and not that great and the description very spare, but I bid accordingly.

Here are the pics...

Description advised that it is a "Mauser Carl Gustafs 1899 Sniper Rifle".

I'll post better pics and description when I get it, but anyone have any thoughts based on the auction pictures?

I posted these over on GB's Swedish forum. The moderator believes that, at least as depicted in the pictures, it is a legit example of the M41B

Thanks.

Ernest T
United States of America

Re: Swedish M41B

#2 Post by Ernest T » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Very nice. Looks like an arsenal replacement stock (are there any markings?), and that is a plus IMO. Scope mount matches the base, and that is good. Many of theses rifles will not have other matching parts, so if other parts don't match I wouldn't sweat it. Scope looks like it has a fair amount of wear, but should be a great shooter if the optics are clear. You can remove the front and rear optic housing on this scope if you need to clean the front or rear glass, but I wouldn't go any further than that. Your scope is missing the rubber cover over the focus ring, but you can cut a piece of bike inner tube to make one, or there is a guy over on the Gunboards forum that will sell you one from Sweden (I suspect he is just cutting bike inner tubes :D ). Same guy (Fson) can sell you a sling, but they are not cheap. I got one from him and it was in great shape, but expensive.

Getting windage right on these is a pain, but once you get it set, it holds well. Be careful not to put too much force on the windage screws as they are fragile and can break.

What type of rear sight is on it? Correct would be SM Vastras micrometer, but these occasionally got removed.

I think you got a great sniper depending on how much you paid. These tend to be extremely accurate with handloads.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Calfed » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks, Ernest. I won this over the weekend so I don't have it in hand yet. Thanks for the tips on the scope.

PM sent

dmg4
United States of America

#4 Post by dmg4 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:13 pm

Everybody who owns one likes the M96, and these are the best of the lot with a siderail scope. You'll like this one. Yes, they are accurate with the right handloads. Mine is also dead nuts accurate with 50-yr-old surplus and el cheapo Prvi, and everything else I've found.
Attachments
DSC_0025 copy.jpg
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

Ernest T
United States of America

#5 Post by Ernest T » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 pm

dmg4, that is a very nice looking M41B. Looks new!

dmg4
United States of America

#6 Post by dmg4 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:20 am

I reblued the metal, refinished stock, and overhauled the optics to get it back to as-issued. I'd be drawn and quartered by some as a heretic for doing so, but I own the rifle.

Doug Turnbull is just up the road from me, and when he does the same thing, someone writes an article about his having worked a miracle.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Calfed » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 am

dmg4 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:13 pm
Everybody who owns one likes the M96, and these are the best of the lot with a siderail scope. You'll like this one. Yes, they are accurate with the right handloads. Mine is also dead nuts accurate with 50-yr-old surplus and el cheapo Prvi, and everything else I've found.
That is a fine looking rifle, dmg4. How does it shoot?

dmg4
United States of America

#8 Post by dmg4 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:22 pm

How does it shoot?
In my hands, with decaf, I can shoot just under MOA with just about any ammo. I can't do much better than that with any rifle, so lets say that the M41B does not detract from the best of my abilities. I think a better bench shooter would be required to determine it's full potential. But really, it doesn't get much better than that for a 100 year old rifle with a 70 year old scope and 64 year old eyes.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by Calfed » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:54 pm

dmg4 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:22 pm
In my hands, with decaf, I can shoot just under MOA with just about any ammo. I can't do much better than that with any rifle, so lets say that the M41B does not detract from the best of my abilities. I think a better bench shooter would be required to determine it's full potential. But really, it doesn't get much better than that for a 100 year old rifle with a 70 year old scope and 64 year old eyes.
Hope mine shoots that well.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#10 Post by Calfed » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:01 pm

The M41B arrived at my FFL today. I got a chance to grab a few pictures before it went into the safe for the 10 day "cooling off" period.

It looks legit...

Bolt is blued and matching (body). The bolt sleeve, cocking piece and safety match each other, but not the bolt body.

There is an M55 adjustable rear sight mounted

Base and scope mount serial number match (19530) and appear to be correct for the receiver date (1899)

Stock apprear to be beech replacement (common for these rifles, I'm told) and has a single crown cartouche behind the trigger guard.

Scope and mount appear to be correct for the M41B

Anyone see anything out of place?

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Swedish M41B ... Update! It arrived

#11 Post by Calfed » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:28 pm

I finally cooled off enough to pick up my Swedish M41B

DaleH
United States of America

#12 Post by DaleH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Calfed, my bro said his load was 43-44 grains of H4350 under a 129-grn Hornady spire point. Said he shot the OCW method @ 200-yds to set the final charge, then played w/ seating depth (as he OCW method advises anyway).

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#13 Post by Calfed » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:57 pm

DaleH wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 pm
Calfed, my bro said his load was 43-44 grains of H4350 under a 129-grn Hornady spire point. Said he shot the OCW method @ 200-yds to set the final charge, then played w/ seating depth (as he OCW method advises anyway).
Thanks, Dale. I've got several bottles of H4350 and various 6.5 bullets.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#14 Post by Calfed » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:45 pm

I had my "faux" m41b and my "real" m41b out and thought a few pictures were in order...

Stew15948
United States of America

#15 Post by Stew15948 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Nice! It’s definitely nice to have a ‘beater’ sniper that you can take to the range without too much concern while keeper others safe in the safe! Especially when they shoot better than we can really take advantage of.

My Samco ‘put together’ sniper and my nicer one

Return to “Swedish Rifles”