Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

CARL GUSTAFSSTADS GEVARSFAKTORI 1919 w/Elite 101 sights.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

CARL GUSTAFSSTADS GEVARSFAKTORI 1919 w/Elite 101 sights.

#1 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:00 am

Not a total mis-match I guess:
Stock: 45470
Buttplate: 470
Handguard: 65091
Front cap/band: 892
Rear band: 002
Barrel: nsn
Rear sight: 379
Receiver: HK 469391
Bolt (all parts): 391
Floorplate: 220
Bolt release: 041
Attachments
IMG_0269.JPG
Seems to have been counter bored to protect the muzzle.
Was this a standard practice with target rifles?
IMG_0268.JPG
Repaired crack along left side of handguard.
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG

sheepdawg
United States of America

Re: CARL GUSTAFSSTADS GEVARSFAKTORI 1919 w/Elite 101 sights.

#2 Post by sheepdawg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:14 pm

I've never seen a counter bored m/96 much less one set up for FSR.
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#3 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Hmmm, when I bought this I asked around on the forum and was told they were set up like this for civilian competition in Sweden, by a Swede. I even bought/traded for the Elite 101 from a member in Sweden. Nice, honest and helpful fellow but I have forgotten his name. Is FSR the civilian competition circuit there? Understand, I am not questioning your information, just trying to get clarification on where this rifle came from and why it is set up like it is. A thought, the Elite sight is Swiss isn't it? Is it possible the rifle was set up for competition in a different country? Thanks for your input. I like the old rifle no matter what it's history. Sweet shooter and easy on my old shoulder. The double aperture sight system takes some getting used to, though. Takes me a while to find the target.

Woody_be
Belgium

#4 Post by Woody_be » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Got one in the same configuration too. Tackdriver, non counter bored number matching except the rear sightImageImage

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#5 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:37 am

Nice rifle. I see yours still sports the straight handle.

Woody_be
Belgium

#6 Post by Woody_be » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:04 pm

Yeah, when i went to buy it the guy had almost identical one with bend handle but i prefered the straight one. Still not really a difference

sheepdawg
United States of America

#7 Post by sheepdawg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm pretty sure yours is Swedish though you never really know. I have no idea why a civilian shooter would opt for a rifle with a counter bored barrel though anything is possible. The Swedes never fought a war, used corrosive primers except in the very beginning of use and were very meticulous about upkeep. This is why a counter bore is never seen on a Swede. They would have just replaced the barrel.

It's my understanding is the older diopters are the Swedish Elit (m.Edström). They quit making these in Sweden and the newer ones are the Swiss Elite (m.101). The Elit diopters are the second most common only surpassed by the Soderin diopter and are extremely desirable. Most of these came from the late 40s till the 80s.

The Frivilliga Skytterorelsen (FSR) was the Swedish Volunteer Shooters' Organization, a civilian organization with many regional clubs to promote shooting skills with it's roots dating back to the late 1800s. The rifles were originally lent to the clubs by the army and were only to be altered by an approved FSR smith. They had to be altered only in a way that would allow them to be returned to government service.There are still several clubs operating in Sweden today.

The diopter sight system comes with a front tunnel and the option of an aperture sight or a post in different sizes. Once the aperture system is figured out you'll see it works quite well though I still prefer the post. My Swedish friends tell me the post is more of an American thing and the Swedes prefer the aperture as a whole.
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Woody_be
Belgium

#8 Post by Woody_be » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks sheep, info i didnt know and interrests me very much. Learing every day.

sheepdawg
United States of America

#9 Post by sheepdawg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:58 pm

This site by a very well known Swede collector is as good a place to start learning as anywhere. A copy of Crown Jewels, The Mauser in Sweden by Dana Jones is also needed though these can get pricey. The Poyer book you see on Ebay is full of errors. Makes for good wiping though.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#10 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:04 am

Thank you for the information. This is the first Swedish rifle I have ever seen with that "target crown" as well but I have seen it on other rifles used for competition. Purported purpose is to protect the muzzle. I don't know that it works or not. I also thank you for the research information. I am an avid reader and will enjoy reading up on the subject. Keep up the good work feeding our thirst for knowledge about these old rifles.

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

#11 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Here's a thought from left field. I think that it is not counter bored, but has the typical threaded muzzle with an atypical muzzle cap extending under the sight base. Thoughts?
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#12 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:47 am

IMG_0308.JPG
Your left field thought rang a bell and I went back for a better look. And a better picture. You are correct, Sir. It has been a long time since I put that front sight on and I have many rifles to play with so I had forgotten the muzzle cap. Thanks for clearing this up. In the picture you can see the slight gap between the end of the threaded muzzle and the inside of the cap.

sheepdawg
United States of America

#13 Post by sheepdawg » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:05 pm

The FSR m/96s were normally built on rifles with unthreaded muzzles. The Swedes threaded the muzzles in 1955. Again with Swedes anything is possible but this has been discussed before and a Swedish member at another forum stated that there were too many rifles around with standard muzzles, why use one that was threaded? Made sense to me. Would seem logical that most of the m/96bs would still be owned by the military around the time frame since the FSR m/96s were pretty much made obsolete in the mid 60s with the advent of the CG63. I would figure that there were ample m/96s to use for FSR conversion. Could the receiver have been D & Td to mount the diopter over here? Probably but as stated, with Swedes anything is possible.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#14 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I certainly have no way of telling as I don't know any of the history (whose hands it was in) before I got it except of course for who I bought it from. It could well have been but there was no diopter sight on it when I bought it. At this point I really don't care. I like the rifle. It shoots well and does not tear up my shoulder. The bore is in very good shape and the fired brass looks great. Anyway, as I have read several sage members say before, buy the rifle, not the story. You have a great day, sir. BTW, where in the heck is Mempho? :)

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#15 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Swede cap and Molakota holsters 001.JPG
I found a picture I took back in 2008 of the muzzle cap.

Return to “Swedish Rifles”