http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:38 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I'll admit, when it comes to Italian firearms the Beretta M9 is the furthest my knowledge extends to. After that, I'm useless. While I understand and appreciate Italian rifles and their place in history, they've never appealed to me like a Lee Enfield, Mosin Nagant, or any Mauser variant rifle. Only other one I've ever had a chance to own was one that was listed in a relative's estate sell when she passed but the auctioneer sold it out from under me so he could get a better cut.

Anyways, I've been out of the military surplus rifle game for awhile but still hold an appreciation for them in my heart. My father in law, not a gun guy in any stretch of the word, knows that I love firearms of all types. He had recently had me clean up a .22 JC Higgins for him that was his fathers (World War II Navy veteran, was on a troop carrier on D-Day). The rifle had previously been kept in my wife's grandparents home where the air/hear is set to a barely minimum standard since her grandmother is in a nursing home and doesn't want to sell and her grandfather passed several years ago. Needless to say, the 22 when I cleaned it had some surface rust but cleaned up nice. I gave it back to her father with some ammo and a case, along with instructions of how to better store it (he since keeps it at his house).

My father in law, along with his brother, had both been telling me about an Italian rifle that their father had brought back during the war in his duffle. They said he brought it back from Europe and left it at home when his unit was transferring to the Pacific theatre during the end of the war. They said it was deadly accurate, could blow a hole through a telephone pole (apparently first hand knowledge for them), and their father shot the rounds he had and then put it away. I had been told and told about this rifle, and a few months back showed up to my father in law's and there it was.

Apparently the rifle had been stored in the attic of my wife's grandparents ever since the last rounds had been fired. All numbers with the exception of the bolt match, it does have the cleaning rod but it's still in the garage getting cleaned up. Also have a bayonet and sheath for the rifle that he brought back as well. Overall the rifle had some surface rust and pitting on the trigger guard/magazine housing but in good shape.

Gave this old girl the BLO scrub, full cleaning now to go get some ammo so I can take my father in law and his brother shooting with it.

If anyone can give me an idea of what the markings mean I would be most appreciative. I've been swamped between work and other restorations have limited research done on the rifle. All I know is that it's an Italian Carcano M91 made by Terni. Does the 17 signify 1917 production?

Attachments:
IMG_20161216_231934.jpg
IMG_20161216_231934.jpg [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 579 times ]
IMG_20161216_231949.jpg
IMG_20161216_231949.jpg [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 579 times ]
IMG_20161216_232014.jpg
IMG_20161216_232014.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 579 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:50 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Beautiful ww1 rifle. Production in 1917. You are lucky!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:18 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Thanks, I was honestly amazed at the condition of the rifle considering it has been in an attic for Lord only knows how long. Cleaned the surface rust off, only light pitting on barrel and trigger guard/magazine.

The barrel is in good shape, the bore took a little work to get clean but I was patient and just kept let Sweets 7.62 do its thing. Didn't have to resort to JB paste.

I'm assuming that it's 6.5 Carcano, would that be correct?

Still need to get some ammunition, but need to find some stripper clips first.

Does anyone know where I could possible find a sling? Lucked on eBay and elsewhere with no luck without spending at minimum $85 shipped