http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

SWIHARTMARK wrote:
If I had a Fosters Lager, I'd drink one in your honor. Do they still use those large oil cans to put their beer into?

I honestly couldn't tell you. Believe it or not its hard to find in its country of origin. Last time time I saw it avaliable was on tap, in Madrid, Spain last year in May. Had to do a double take when I saw it :lol:

No luck getting out yet, will post photographic evidence when it does.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

SWIHARTMARK wrote:
Anyways, who wants to take the pledge to shoot their Carcanos in 2016? Let's not talk about bad rear sights, oversized bores, and undersized bullets, let's experience the agony, pain, and considerate expense of
dialing in a real Carcano with your own grubby hands and failing eyesight with a rear sight system designed by a high school kid who flunked geometry. Follow me boys, I'm going over the top into those Austrians! Er, Greeks, well Brits..... Somebody keep their heads down!

Hey what happened to all the Carcano excitement? This thread's been silent for months...

Anyway, I finally got myself to the range with all my Carcanos at once. The group photo shows them ranked top to bottom in terms of accuracy. Not surprisingly, the long Model '91 was its sweet-shooting self, and turned in the 2" five-shot group pictured. The 91/38 shot a group about 3". Next was the 91/28 T.S. carbine, with a group just over 4". The cavalry carbine was the problem child, managing only an 8" group. On the bright side, I found a load that all my rifles can shoot well, using the Hornady .268 bullets resized to .2665 with my new Lee custom sizer.

I've been working a lot recently with my Carcanos, and have learned quite a bit about what makes them tick. A big help has been having a clip-full of dummy rounds to practice cycling in my basement. I've learned that no other rifle-system in my collection benefits so much from a brisk, "grip it and rip it" bolt manipulation. Sitting at the bench and babying the bolt back and forth results in a balk-fest. If I work it like I'm trying to break it, I'm rewarded with perfect feeding (at least as long as I'm using bullets with the proper long profile, spitzers jammed on me regardless). I'll admit I used to enjoy my Carcanos primarily as representative pieces useful as a contrast to my beloved Garand or Springfield...Picture me handing one to my brother after he has admired my '03, saying, "...now compare that to this Carcano..." But I have come to love them in their own right. They handle really well, and shoot just fine once they find the right ammo. The long rifle is slim and elegant, and the carbines are tough and compact. When compared to other designs of the early 1890's (for goodness sake!), they stand up just fine. There's a lot of history to enjoy with the Carcano...

Attachments:
Carcano range day (1).JPG
Carcano range day (1).JPG [ 2.43 MiB | Viewed 388 times ]
Carcano range day (3).JPG
Carcano range day (3).JPG [ 2.39 MiB | Viewed 388 times ]
Carcano range day (2).JPG
Carcano range day (2).JPG [ 2.39 MiB | Viewed 388 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Here's the rest of my results. Pardon all the scribbles and notations, I recycle targets from the trash after there's a match at the club. The Cavalry carbine target only shows three rounds, the others struck a few inches below the target. I had a sticker stuck about a foot below the target and used it as the aiming point for all the rifles.

Attachments:
Carcano range day (4).JPG
Carcano range day (4).JPG [ 2.38 MiB | Viewed 387 times ]
Carcano range day (5).JPG
Carcano range day (5).JPG [ 2.39 MiB | Viewed 387 times ]
Carcano range day (6).JPG
Carcano range day (6).JPG [ 2.37 MiB | Viewed 387 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:55 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

When recycling targets, don't forget the scotch tape....excellent for putting over holes and reuse target again, and again, again. Six, seven or eight times, no problem. Back side records every hit as well.

Ummh, I did shoot my M91/41 this summer and once the RSO spotted for me, she broke a clay pigeon at 75 yards. I had to correct 12 inches down and 4 inches to the right after the first shot. She's a FAT43 and likes standard 6.5mm ammo. This, of course, is the speakable caliber.

Now I have to shoot another Carcano. Gee, my cavalry carbine likes to hit stuff, for reasons that escape me and doesn't need a spotter. Ummh, looks like the world's ugliest cavalry carbine (when bayonet is fully deployed) needs some lovin. I have been fondling my M38 lately though. Yeah, its in 6.5mm. You think I was born last year? (Here's a little secret, all my Carcanos are in 6.5mm. I do have a Vetterli in 10.4mm, not to mention 6.5mm).

Weather is terribly hot and humid in Ohio now. I doth whine.

Best Regards,

Mark